SAVED - 1969 comp orange body & neck OG style

Bringing your older offset back to life.
daCod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: saving a 1969 comp orange body & neck is GO!!!

Post by daCod » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:47 am

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Definitely a labor of love. It's coming along better than I imagined.

Whoever refinished it black did do it correctly. They lightly scuffed the original finish so the black would stick. It's evident on some of the edges. I'm getting no yellow residue on my paper but when the black is gone it's nearly bare wood. Doesn't look bad and it's only in one or two spots. Hell it might be original finish wear too. They laid on a pretty decent coat of clear to finish things off. That's what's giving me the most fits getting off.

I realize I should have started on the back to get my process dialed in but curiosity got the best of me so the front was first done. The plan for today/during-the-boys-naps/tonight is to finish the back and then start hitting the entire thing with 1000 and up to balance everything out. After sanding/buffing is all said and done it's going to a local shop for my guy to lay on a nice thin layer of nitro clear to protect both the body and headstock.

Now,time for some coffee.
your paranoia must be weapons-grade.
“I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf.” ~ PT

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:37 am

Looking great!

Are you sure you need to overspray? Obviously you've seen it in person and i haven't, but a spot of buffing may be all that's needed...

daCod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daCod » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:25 am

Yeah I'm only speculating atm. The headstock will more than likely get a shot to preserve what's left of the decal.

The body looks really good where it's at. Not perfect but pretty great. Super fine sanding later today with crossed fingers.
“I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf.” ~ PT

apreswho
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by apreswho » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:47 am

Looking great, fantastic save! happy to see this one worked out!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:28 pm

wow! nice work! sorry about the headstock haha :fp:

daCod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daCod » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:32 pm

No worries. Just makes it look like a real motherfucker and not some case queen

No more black. Back completed tonight, err, this morning...? Still need to finish sand it but I couldn't resist bolting it as together as I could. Still waiting on neck plate and pickups... Otherwise I would still be downstairs soldering it together.

A few lacquer cracks on the back and lower side. Nicks and dings here and there. Finish is worn thru in a couple places but (other than part of the stripe) it looks to be original wear from its orange period. This thing just screams play me. Can't wait to get it all buttoned up.

I took the body (before back was done) in to my paint guy. Asked his opinion on the finish. He strongly suggests hitting it with a thin coat of clear to preserve things. Said if I play this on a regular basis id just end up wearing through in numerous parts. I'm on the fence. Kinda want to see how things look after the finish sanding. Thoughts???

da p0rn
Last edited by daCod on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

arghdedamned
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by arghdedamned » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:00 am

wonderful :-*

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:35 am

If it was mine, I'd buff it out and see how it looks first- there's nothing to lose by doing that.

Also, in this case I wouldn't sweat going through all the grades to 2500 and beyond (you're at 1000+ now right?) Maybe just hit an area with buffing compound at the point you are now, and see what it looks like.

The reason I'd shy away from overspray is the inevitable clearcoat over visibly worn bits issue. It'd bug me on an ocd level AND probably be too shiny overall.

JoeySlush
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JoeySlush » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:37 am

mgeek wrote:If it was mine, I'd buff it out and see how it looks first- there's nothing to lose by doing that.

Also, in this case I wouldn't sweat going through all the grades to 2500 and beyond (you're at 1000+ now right?) Maybe just hit an area with buffing compound at the point you are now, and see what it looks like.

The reason I'd shy away from overspray is the inevitable clearcoat over visibly worn bits issue. It'd bug me on an ocd level AND probably be too shiny overall.
+1

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:49 am

mgeek wrote:The reason I'd shy away from overspray is the inevitable clearcoat over visibly worn bits issue. It'd bug me on an ocd level AND probably be too shiny overall.
Overspray, then sand off the visibly worn bits?

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:58 am

Could do, but it'd still be too shiny

Besides, I disagree that wear through would be an issue if this wasn't clear coated. Fender were using poly by this point, which is pretty resilient, and if it wears through, who cares! It's 45 years old!

hella1hella
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hella1hella » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:38 am

I would probably hit it with a very thin clear coat... You can always "relic" the reliced spots to make them look more natural, seems like it wouldnt be too tough. It looks amazing though! I have really enjoyed this thread, great job! Oh and good job on the patients, I cant even imagine how hard it had to be not to just sand the shit out of it.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:15 am

I'm kind of anal about these things, so I would definitely not overspray it. I don't see the point of painstakingly removing an unoriginal finish and then applying another unoriginal finish over it. Yes, the overspray is clear, but to me it's the same thing... a refin is a refin is a refin. You're looking at original Competition Orange!

As for "preserving" it, as said above... what's the point? Who cares if you come through the finish in spots, as long as it happens naturally? I mean, that's what happens.

It's clearly your guitar, your decision... but I hate to see all your painstaking work be undone (which is what it amounts to in my opinion). I'd sand to #2000 and then buff it with 3M Finesse-it until it has the deep, wet look you desire. Then I'd just play it and see what happens down the road.
Q. Are we not men?

apreswho
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by apreswho » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:20 am

fullerplast wrote:I'm kind of anal about these things, so I would definitely not overspray it. I don't see the point of painstakingly removing an unoriginal finish and then applying another unoriginal finish over it. Yes, the overspray is clear, but to me it's the same thing... a refin is a refin is a refin. You're looking at original Competition Orange!

As for "preserving" it, as said above... what's the point? Who cares if you come through the finish in spots, as long as it happens naturally? I mean, that's what happens.

It's clearly your guitar, your decision... but I hate to see all your painstaking work be undone (which is what it amounts to in my opinion). I'd sand to #2000 and then buff it with 3M Finesse-it until it has the deep, wet look you desire. Then I'd just play it and see what happens down the road.

Nailed it.

daCod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daCod » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:29 am

apreswho wrote:
fullerplast wrote: It's clearly your guitar, your decision... but I hate to see all your painstaking work be undone (which is what it amounts to in my opinion). I'd sand to #2000 and then buff it with 3M Finesse-it until it has the deep, wet look you desire. Then I'd just play it and see what happens down the road.

Nailed it.
Aaaaand we have a winner. Nailed it indeed. My OCD is pretty much on par with yours Mr. Plast. Stepping back, looking at the big picture a topcoat would be just like painting it black again. There's plenty of finish left to work with and buff out. Will be picking up some 3m Finesse-It on the way home today. Thank you for making my evening plans for me.