You're My Guitar Hero!, blog about Punk/NewWave Guitarists (Updated 8/1/20 - The Go-Go's)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: You're My Guitar Hero!, blog about Punk/NewWave Guitaris

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:44 pm

Mad-Mike wrote:I like this Blog idea as one whose a gearhead of bands. Since I've been getting introduced to The Clash though my wife and her friend Pierre last year, this was a cool read. I've been getting pretty heavy into Punk and have been on a obscure Post-Punk bent for years - plus I'm a massive The Cars gearhead if you need info/speculation on what they used as that band was my sonic obsession in middle/high school.
Oh man, that would be SUPER helpful Mike. Elliot is a huge influence on me, so he'll definitely be in there. I'll remember to reach out when I get to him. :)
danbind wrote:Thanks, this is very cool.

How's about Shelley/Devoto/Diggle/Buzzcocks?

One of my favorite guitar sounds from that era is Paul Weller's on the Jam's "Setting Sons". Which I read is just a Rick 360 with hi-gains through a Peavey Bandit...
Yep, Buzzcocks are definitely on the list, but they are fairly simple as well. HH amps -> LP Jr/Gordon Smith guitars. Later Marshall amps.

And yeah, that Setting Sons sound is so hilariously modest but effective. It's raspy as hell. Paul's ric was a 330 though, and the Peavey was a Backstage. You can see him go over to it during this live footage of Eton Rifles around 3 minutes in to get some feedback going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG0L86DRuC8

Thanks for all this encouragement guys. I'm seriously glad people are enjoying what I'm doing. It's a push to do more!
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:55 pm

well i know you've met this guitar player..... as have i, but i would like to know more about roger miller from burma. mainly about the "vacuum fuzz"
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:48 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:well i know you've met this guitar player..... as have i, but i would like to know more about roger miller from burma. mainly about the "vacuum fuzz"
Absolutely. Roger will be an easy one. I can just email him! As far as I know, the Vacuum Fuzz is just a hyped up Big Muff. Otherwise, it's Peavey Solid State Amp -> Marshall JMP Combo, and then Telecaster, Stratocaster, Fender Lead 1.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:17 am

This great! Keep up the good work.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:29 am

This was the one photo of Mick using the Bond Electraglide that I could find where he wasn’t wearing a ridiculous bucket hat. You’re welcome, Mick.
That totally cracked me up.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:18 pm

Maggieo wrote:This great! Keep up the good work.
Thanks! I will. I figured this would be up your alley :)
Maggieo wrote:
This was the one photo of Mick using the Bond Electraglide that I could find where he wasn’t wearing a ridiculous bucket hat. You’re welcome, Mick.
That totally cracked me up.
And someone has to hold him accountable for his fashion crimes. I love Mick dearly... but that hat :k

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: You're My Guitar Hero!, blog about Punk/NewWave Guitarists

Post by stevejamsecono » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 am

Thread rez.

I had been picking at this one for awhile and finally got moved to complete it in honor of the new Go-Go's doc. Enjoy!

https://youremyguitarhero.wordpress.com ... 1980-1985/

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: You're My Guitar Hero!, blog about Punk/NewWave Guitarists (Updated 8/1/20 - The Go-Go's)

Post by Telliot » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:11 am

The Go-Go’s are criminally underrated. I’m happy to see them get the attention they deserve.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

dc
Expat
Expat

Re: You're My Guitar Hero!, blog about Punk/NewWave Guitarists

Post by dc » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:27 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 am
Thread rez.

I had been picking at this one for awhile and finally got moved to complete it in honor of the new Go-Go's doc. Enjoy!

https://youremyguitarhero.wordpress.com ... 1980-1985/
this is awesome! and that concert you link to is great. in related news, Kathy Valentine has a memoir just out too. viva Go-Go's! 8)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers