Chinese custom guitar - dipping my toe in to test the water

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: Chinese custom guitar - dipping my toe in to test the wa

Post by sookwinder » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:36 pm

I have ordered from china a set of each of the knobs below... given the white binding, ebony fretboard and ivory pup surrounds I ordered from the UK last evening they just might look pretty good.

relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:29 am

Now I am trying to choose which colour case to go for ....

JakobLyngbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JakobLyngbo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:08 am

Totally the last one! That is hot!
I just really, really like gear...
Gear and beer.

AwesomeWelles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AwesomeWelles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:44 am

I like the last one the best as well!

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:37 am

this arrived this afternoon (during a horrendous downpour)
Will put up pics and a review tomorrow...

M4M
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by M4M » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:42 am

I ordered a custom made offset, came as a mix of jazz/jag and mustang, i really like it

http://imgur.com/gallery/Q3Z1G" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:43 am

sookwinder wrote:OK... this project is back on track after a short hiatus ...
I can't believe how good that transparent green is. Going to be mad with the cream plastics.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:08 am

Before I start the review of this guitar I'd like to clarify what my expectations were .... zero expectations. I am serious.
I had bought a magnificent Hofner Club bass from this Chinese guitar factory, but I know in the business I am in that often suppliers can produce a perfect item if they are continuously being audited and at the same time produce utter shite in other areas of their catalogues.

This purchase was a gamble, a punt, at worst I'd be out a couple of hundred bucks, at best I would have a talking point for my next gathering of guitar buyers anonymous. I also thought that if the guitar was half decent I could use it as a test bed for various PUPs that James is experimenting with.

So I have now had the Chinese manufactured Les Paul style guitar for a little over 24 hours and what are my thoughts about it ?
In one sentence I can answer that question.... but I will then ramble on for another 2 pages !

THIS IS ONE DAMN FINE INSTRUMENT !

But let me take you through it.
The guitar arrived as shown in the pics below ... in a case that was in a foam "coffin" box. All perfectly safe and sound.
The case is really good and the pattern design is a good change from the usual black or brown. The inside lining is plenty plush and the quality of the case overall is equal to any I have bought over the years be they generic of OEM cases.

I had asked for a feature on this guitar that the factory had never built before. A Les Paul style guitar with mini Humbuckers. I had asked that the plastic mounting rings be cream. I was informed that the mHBs would be no problem, but that they would need to "search" and determine whether they could locate cream coloured pickup rings from their suppliers. After a month or two they came back to me and said they couldn't locate cream coloured mHB pickup rings and asked whether black (standard) would be OK. I said yes, as I had already sourced some replacement cream plastic rings myself.

It seems normally the factory can turn around a custom order/paint job within four weeks... but the longer than normal time taken was of no concern to me as I have been overseas a few times during the period for business and didn't want the guitar shipped until I knew I was back home for an extended period. The somewhat soft translucent finish is also rather difficult to photograph (especially with the little crappy instamatic camera I use) but I am sure you will get the idea.

here it is a delivered with the black plastic

I pulled the guitar apart somewhat ... to fit the new cream coloured pickup rings. I decided to remove a tuner and have a look. Actually the tuner looked perfectly OK... have no idea of the brand. Initially in thought that I would need to fit some replacement tuners when I was first thinking of buying a Chinese made guitar ... but while the tuners are not the best tuners in the world, they are pretty good and function perfectly. So they will be staying jn the guitar

These next two pics are the electronics... small pots are used and a toggle switch that is not the traditional style, but more the modern srtyle. I prefer the "feel" of the traditional style toggle and when I eventually replace the small pots with full size pots I will fit a "old style" toggle switch. But again let me stress ... nothing wrong with the pots or toggle switch that are on the guitar at the moment. No scratchiness or problems at all.

This is the mini Humbucker

The hardware such as stop piece and bridge is of extremely high quality. No rattles or problems. the guitar was intonated perfectly when it arrived and I suspect was fitted with 9s. I immediately fitted my standard strings 10-46 and everything is cool. The quality of the chrome on the bridge/stop tail is high.

I do have to stop and comment about the frets. I have never seen/felt/played any other guitar vintage or modern that had better fret ends than this guitar. They are superb ... not one sharp edge or even a whiff of an edge ... if only the big manufacturers could achieve this quality.

The neck ... great neck, comfortable neck, easy playing neck.
I have a historic early 60s reissue Les Paul from about 10 years and I have shown some data below comparing the two necks

Historic early 60s LP reissue
Nut with: 43.3mm
Depth at first fret (wood to wood) 21.5mm

Chinese Les Paul style guitar
Nut width: 42.4mm
Depth at first fret (wood to wood) 22.5mm

I enjoy the chinese neck better than the Gibson neck

The paint finish is flawless and, although very difficult to photograph, the M.O.P. headstock logo is exactly what I asked for. The Palm tree decal is the exact colour... everything perfect. The back side of the headstock with my own serial no. and MADE IN CHINA is awesome. The weight of the guitar is less than my genuine LP... it feels like a "heavy strat".

Now how does the guitar sound... well again I was expecting to have to immediately replace the mHB PUPs, but these are sounding damn fine I can tell you. Hard to compare given that the Les Paul I have is fitted with regular sized HBs, and all my other guitars with mini Humbuckers are semi hollow or fully hollow vintage Epiphones, so I have no direct comparison. However ... if I just sit down and plug in the genuine Les Paul , play for 10 minutes and then do the same with this Chinese guitar (and its Chinese mHB PUPs) do I want to pick up the Gibson LP? No ! I want to keep playing the Chinese guitar. I like the sound of the Chinese mHBs. Can the be improved upon ? yes probably, but given what is being reviewed ... a LP style guitar with chinese mHBs for about US$250 ... these PUPs are staying put for a while. In fact the first amp I plugged into was a tweed and immediately I had visions of Neil Young when I heard what the guitar could do.

I have about 8 or 9 different sets of knobs that could be used, bell, speed, different colours, shapes, styles ... but in the end I went for the almost faint gold speed knobs as I didn't want to make the knobs the centre of attraction. I prefer the eye to bounce from the flamed green body to the white binding/ebony fretboard.

OK ... time to finish up ... it is dinner time and I am starving ...
Given that when I ordered this guitar I had zero expectations, I gotta say I have been blown away by it. It could certainly give any Epiphone LP a run for its money and even some Gibson LPs for that matter. Given that the cost of the nearest Epiphone LP is 3 -4 times what this cost and a Gibson is 10-15 times, this is one great bargain... plus it's a WOOKIE

This is the web page of the GROTE Guitar factory where I ordered the guitar from.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1267158

Now with the cream plastic parts

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:07 am

I love it.
Well done.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:41 pm

hahahaha, what?! Amazing David. It really is amazing that one can order a custom guitar like that for so little.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:57 pm

How great is that? Custom guitars from China is the new partsmaster.
This is an excellent rectangle

Bothand Nether
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bothand Nether » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:57 pm

That color was built for cloudy mornings and some sort of hot caffeinated beverage, like a nice jasmine pearl with some cream.
Nice Wookie!
"No short-haired, yellow-bellied Son of tricky dicky's Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me"
-The late Mr. L.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:47 am

Truly an amazing guitar... at any price point. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:39 pm

The guitar looks great, but that case is awesome.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:15 pm

That's gorgeous! It usually takes something special for me to love green on a guitar, but man, that looks killer. Also, MUCH better with the newer plastics. Perfect. I've been thinking about a guitar with mHB's for a little bit. Demos?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384