New Edge Signature Strat and Deluxe

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Edge Signature Strat and Deluxe

Post by burpgun » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:35 am

FightingPlankton wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:04 pm
Zombie thread: saw u2 on Saturday Night Live and it reminded me of his signature fenders... because he wasn't playing them.
I mean, the edge has always played gibsons, mostly explorer and LP through AC30's....
so WHY would fender even offer signature gear to him?
Edge played black Strats a lot in the War through Joshua Tree days. I was enough of a fan that the only time I ever bought a Strat--this was mid-2000s--I deliberately bought one of the black USA 70s reissues with a maple neck. I loved the big headstock, the bold black letter Fender script as well. Never ended up liking the guitar that much though and eventually sold it. Now when I play guitar, I'm all Jazzmasters, so go figure.

If you want to bust on the Edge sig, take a look at Adam Clayton. How many sigs has that guy had? Multiple Fender Ps and Js, plus Warwick stuff. I think he's a really good player, generally has good taste in instruments, and I like him the most when he's pumping out eight notes. But my god, I don't understand why he's gotten so many deals and I don't understand who the market is for the basses either. Maybe it's the classic blues lawyer who's willing to drop $7K on a gold sparkle finish P that'll never leave the house. I dunno. The sig he should have done was a copy of that thrashed sunburst P with the maple Jazz neck. Would have given the relic artisans quite a workout.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:57 am

We are lucky to have signature guitars like this because otherwise we might not be able to buy or build a black strat with a maple neck. :whistle:

I think JM did a nice job with his Jaguar designs. There are several parts of it that are unlike any normal production Jaguar and the color options have better variety. (Of course white and black are normal, but the green and orange are pretty awesome.) I feel like he took the chance of having a signature seriously and worked to try to make a guitar that fit his needs and had options that were not being met by a standard Jaguar.

I know a lot of people aren't Slipknot or Stone Sour fans, but the Jim Root Fender signatures are all modified and are pretty different than the other stock offerings. I have the Jazzy and it is pretty awesome. Even if you aren't a fan of his mods, it is at least not just a custom paint color or something simple. J5's teles are like that too. Some custom parts that work better for him that some people might like.

For me, if you like a stock stratocaster in a typical color, I don't really see a point in putting your name on it as a signature guitar and charging a bunch more so your fans can buy something that has your name on it.

Just my opinion on signatures. I like them better when they are unusual or have features you can't get otherwise without modding.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:02 am

HNB wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:57 am
We are lucky to have signature guitars like this because otherwise we might not be able to buy or build a black strat with a maple neck. :whistle:

I think JM did a nice job with his Jaguar designs. There are several parts of it that are unlike any normal production Jaguar and the color options have better variety. (Of course white and black are normal, but the green and orange are pretty awesome.) I feel like he took the chance of having a signature seriously and worked to try to make a guitar that fit his needs and had options that were not being met by a standard Jaguar.

I know a lot of people aren't Slipknot or Stone Sour fans, but the Jim Root Fender signatures are all modified and are pretty different than the other stock offerings. I have the Jazzy and it is pretty awesome. Even if you aren't a fan of his mods, it is at least not just a custom paint color or something simple. J5's teles are like that too. Some custom parts that work better for him that some people might like.

For me, if you like a stock stratocaster in a typical color, I don't really see a point in putting your name on it as a signature guitar and charging a bunch more so your fans can buy something that has your name on it.

Just my opinion on signatures. I like them better when they are unusual or have features you can't get otherwise without modding.
I agree, the Ed Obrien strat is a perfect example of what you're talking about. It looks like an amazing guitar with that sustainer. Plus, it's very affordable.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:19 pm

burpgun wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:35 am
If you want to bust on the Edge sig, take a look at Adam Clayton. How many sigs has that guy had? Multiple Fender Ps and Js, plus Warwick stuff. I think he's a really good player, generally has good taste in instruments, and I like him the most when he's pumping out eight notes. But my god, I don't understand why he's gotten so many deals and I don't understand who the market is for the basses either. Maybe it's the classic blues lawyer who's willing to drop $7K on a gold sparkle finish P that'll never leave the house. I dunno. The sig he should have done was a copy of that thrashed sunburst P with the maple Jazz neck. Would have given the relic artisans quite a workout.
I just noticed this the other day. The new Adam Clayton LTD. Edition signature Jazz Bass.

I'm weirdly drawn to the Precision. So garish though, with the matching headstock and abalone blocks.

I like signatures that are more than cosmetic, like the Marr, Eric Johnson, or the DIck Dale Strat which is (was?) really out there.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:04 am

^I wish I could get that Clayton bass for my bassist. :?

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:49 am

What's funny about the new Clayton sigs is that they are garish as his white Warwick is restrained. I recall some years ago he had a custom shop P that was pretty similar, but in gold flake. It's really pretty. There's one of these on Reverb now for $9K. I can't see any reason to ever pay that for a Precision, but there you go.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm

DesmondWafers wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:29 am
Besides Johnny marr, who really has a unique sig model?
Jim Campilongo, but his is a custom shop, 4K bit of Tele candy.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:41 pm

burpgun wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:49 am
What's funny about the new Clayton sigs is that they are garish as his white Warwick is restrained. I recall some years ago he had a custom shop P that was pretty similar, but in gold flake. It's really pretty. There's one of these on Reverb now for $9K. I can't see any reason to ever pay that for a Precision, but there you go.
That gold flake custom shop version was pretty exorbitant. That's why I'm surprised they released two models (Jazz and P) with basically custom shop appointments at this price ($1, 999). Still a chunk of change, but I think that anything U.S. made with a sparkle flake finish is special.