NGD Reality check - late 60's Yamaha SA50

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
infiniteposse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Reality check - late 60's Yamaha SA50

Post by infiniteposse » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 am

Lee60 wrote:Glad I found this thread!

infiniteposse - I just purchased a red SA-50 from a vintage dealer in Portland, but it's missing the pickguard and tremolo arm. It looks like the photobucket pics of your trem are all deactivated. Any chance you could repost them? I was considering having the shop install a Jazzmaster collet/trem before I pick it up... but would you advise skipping that and buying the Stay-trem instead? Did you ever have a custom Stay-trem arm made?

Also, I may have to hit you up for a pickguard tracing, and a better view of the bracket and spacers to find adequate replacements.

Thanks!

Lee
Los Angeles, CA (soon to be Portland, OR)
Hey Lee. First, I've no longer got the guitar. Ultimately, it just wasn't for me. I do think the Staytrem was significantly better than the JM arm I tried. Slop just kills the job in that style of trem system for me.

Which dealer did you buy from? You may be able to ask them to have my tech I used do the work. The techs name was Matt Wright. He does great work and has a very good mechanical mind, which is handy in these situations. I'll see if I can find the pics. They're in iPhoto somewhere.

Good luck.
Lee