I like this! St. VIncent EB MM Guitar

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I like this! St. VIncent EB MM Guitar

Post by fuzzking » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:28 am

Image :-* :-* :-*

Image :-X :-X :-X

:D
Nobody exists on purpose.

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:02 am

this is just the best. the best.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:14 am

I'm not really talking about me, I hang around with loads of real music fans and record collectors and none of them care what guitars folk play. Obviously guitar players care but I've never heard it mentioned as a consideration by a civilian and most of the spolight is on lead singers anyway. I'd never thought about it prior to joining here but you know this is a place where the biggest draw is still Grunge and Roses, so maybe it's OSG that's has the small pond (didn't they have an album on SST in 1989?) mentality.

Perhaps in the US it's a big deal, the US is still wedded to classic rock far more than over here (as evidenced by the threads on OSG), so if that is the case I concede that outside my European locale it's different.

The look of guitar is important, just as the look of cars, clothes, houses, furniture and any designed object matters to me but it has no effect on whether I like a band or not, none, never has and never will and I can't think of one person I know who has ever mentioned it to me who doesn't play, unless it's something notably fancy like a Falcon. As I said earlier I doubt most of the people who buy records and who don't play would notice much of a difference between a Strat and the SV guitar. They might have an opinion on the singers hair or on the sleeve but not on some guitar, at least in my experience.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:16 am

i think this guitar may be a reference point for the sig guitar

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:33 am

^^ FUG LEE ^^
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:44 am

His shirt does more work towards this than his guitar, all he needs is a mobility scooter and he's fully accessorised. He's sporting a dated and rum Joy of Sex look in the other photo anyway. Would a non player notice the difference between a super flamey vintage Les Paul and that tele, I don't really know.

I'd argue about longevity in any case, the examples you gave earlier seem superannuated in both look, attitude and style and that sort of cock rock is well into the parody period. I went though a long period where my 'Guns and Roses' (meaning my music roots) were considered laughably dated, stupid haired and uncool but now they are the bones of a hell of a lot of modern music, often music that sounds little like the inspiration if you aren't keyed into it but inspired all the same, maybe the same will happen with your hard rock l but not any time soon.

I also remember you saying something about the most compelling being at the heart of the mainstream and mainstream pop is pretty far from classic rock if you want to be talking about signifiers of artist appeal. During the days of GnR in the UK we had Acid House and that actually looks way more like the mainstream than GnR does these days, GnR being more an old persons sort of affair ripe for that those were the days crowd. That actually give me an idea; nostalgic Hard Rock cruiseships!

Anyway I've four daughters and my house has a constant parade of teenagers and pre teens though the doors and I'll ask them what they think on this but it looks much more like the sort of thing that concerns an older guitar player than kids into music.

I know Heaven and Las Vegas by the Cocteau Twins was recorded on a PRS...direct! I really don't like PRS guitars (quality items that they are) but it's makes no difference to my opinion of the record and I doubt there's ever been a case of it mattering to anyone. I mean you do care what guitar someone plays but don't you feel it's a bit sad when it matters, often so much that people on this very forum have been 'trying' to get into a band purely because they play some guitar.

Personally I only read books that were originally written long hand using Mont Blanc Fountain pen on the finest velum, though I might occasionally sully myself with something typed on an Olivetti Valentine but most people don't give a shit.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:03 am

Very interesting discussion. I feel that the Steve Cropper example above highlights that what you wear easily trumps the instrument you are playing. The flame Tele is really of second- or third-order importance in that photo. In the absence of market research I guess we can all speculate, but I have never encountered a single non-musician who watched the You Could Be Mine video and then asked what happened to Slash's guitar.

It is definitely part of the overall aesthetic --and for someone as visual as St. Vincent it probably matters a little more-- but I doubt that overall it has anywhere near the importance some seem to bestow upon it.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:06 am

You gave me a list of hard rockers as evidence (Springsteen aside) so I used that term, there was no underlying message. I'll happily put my towel down for 'my' coldwave or minimal techno or early industrial or any genre I like, even Jaguar018's favourite of mine; 'forest pixie'.

D

novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by novamax » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:15 am

Well, I guess, there's different people around anywhere - Some who don't even look at the band but listen to the music, and others who are specifially sold an idea including lifestyle and matching looks that coincidentally play this type of music... - or any shade in between So both seem to play a role.

I'd say that in pop music of any kind, lifstyle (incl. looks) have always played a role to market a brand: The Beatles' mushroom-heads (Paul's bass), the Pyramids' egg-heads, Bill Haley anfd the comets' colorful suits, ABBA's and T-Rex's glitter suits, Slash's stove pipe head (and his Paula). For many iconic people, their instrument is a strong part of that (which makes companies supply their endorsers...). Just imagine a country singer with a Schecter or B.C. Rich Warlock. Or a metal player with Guild with Bigsby. I'm pretty sure, it would not suffice that he plays good music there...
Last edited by novamax on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:41 am

shadowplay wrote:
Personally I only read books that were originally written long hand using Mont Blanc Fountain pen on the finest velum, though I might occasionally sully myself with something typed on an Olivetti Valentine but most people don't give a shit.

D
I wipe my ass exclusively with $100 dollar bills. I will sometimes treat myself to some nice ultra rare Dead Sea scrolls to do the duty. Sadly scrolls are getting scarce. :(

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 am

I mean, a guitar's styling has quite a bit to do with the image that a band presents, musicians go to such lengths to present themselves differently with different guitars that there are literally thousands of different designs to appeal to them. I'm not sure where I am with this conversation, but I definitely do purchase guitars that I feel portray my "identity", even if I do so with perverse purposes. That's true of literally everything human beings do, from hair, to accents, to clothes, to speech... we always broadcast our identities to other humans every single second.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:16 am

novamax wrote: Just imagine a country singer with a Schecter or B.C. Rich Warlock. Or a metal player with Guild with Bigsby. I'm pretty sure, it would not suffice that he plays good music there...
Just to poke the bear a little-

Hmmm... Alabama with a lime green Parker Fly instead of the country standard tele:

I was quite surprised to see this but they sounded great even though the lime green was a little distracting.

It also shows that not all old guys feel the need to sport bright Koi aloha shirts.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:33 am

Aesthetics definitely play some role for me, but I pretty much just go w/ what satisfies my own sense of what looks good or "me" and not so much what it says to someone watching me play.

IMO, it's kind of inevitable that our personal preferences are shaped to some extent by what we've been exposed to by other players and liked (or didn't like). As a result, a specific design cue or type of guitar can have a lot of different connotations for different observers based on their own frame of reference.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:07 am

At this point, with electric guitars being 75+ years old, their identity and significance has morphed millions of times. They have been used as a non-statement statement (I don't care about guitars and here is my piece of shit ugly knock-off guitar type things) almost as often as they get used as confirmation of status.

Whether or not your personal beliefs about and appreciation of music involve the player's choice of gear, St Vincent took the opportunity to design a custom guitar that she plays based on what she wants. Clearly she digs guitars and she's a bit of gear hound. 8)

novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by novamax » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:08 pm

kdanie wrote: Just to poke the bear a little-
Hmmm... Alabama with a lime green Parker Fly instead of the country standard tele:
I was quite surprised to see this but they sounded great even though the lime green was a little distracting.
This nails pretty much what I mean It's no no-go, but they're gonna lose a lot of lead, here...