I like this! St. VIncent EB MM Guitar

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I like this! St. VIncent EB MM Guitar

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 am

I mean, a guitar's styling has quite a bit to do with the image that a band presents, musicians go to such lengths to present themselves differently with different guitars that there are literally thousands of different designs to appeal to them. I'm not sure where I am with this conversation, but I definitely do purchase guitars that I feel portray my "identity", even if I do so with perverse purposes. That's true of literally everything human beings do, from hair, to accents, to clothes, to speech... we always broadcast our identities to other humans every single second.
"Larry Ray Vaughan"

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:16 am

novamax wrote: Just imagine a country singer with a Schecter or B.C. Rich Warlock. Or a metal player with Guild with Bigsby. I'm pretty sure, it would not suffice that he plays good music there...
Just to poke the bear a little-

Hmmm... Alabama with a lime green Parker Fly instead of the country standard tele:

I was quite surprised to see this but they sounded great even though the lime green was a little distracting.

It also shows that not all old guys feel the need to sport bright Koi aloha shirts.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:33 am

Aesthetics definitely play some role for me, but I pretty much just go w/ what satisfies my own sense of what looks good or "me" and not so much what it says to someone watching me play.

IMO, it's kind of inevitable that our personal preferences are shaped to some extent by what we've been exposed to by other players and liked (or didn't like). As a result, a specific design cue or type of guitar can have a lot of different connotations for different observers based on their own frame of reference.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:07 am

At this point, with electric guitars being 75+ years old, their identity and significance has morphed millions of times. They have been used as a non-statement statement (I don't care about guitars and here is my piece of shit ugly knock-off guitar type things) almost as often as they get used as confirmation of status.

Whether or not your personal beliefs about and appreciation of music involve the player's choice of gear, St Vincent took the opportunity to design a custom guitar that she plays based on what she wants. Clearly she digs guitars and she's a bit of gear hound. 8)

novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by novamax » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:08 pm

kdanie wrote: Just to poke the bear a little-
Hmmm... Alabama with a lime green Parker Fly instead of the country standard tele:
I was quite surprised to see this but they sounded great even though the lime green was a little distracting.
This nails pretty much what I mean It's no no-go, but they're gonna lose a lot of lead, here...

Baconfish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Baconfish » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:20 pm

I adore that thing when it's in the blue finish, mismatched headstock included. In fact if it had a pointy angular headstock I think it'd probably make it look a lot more generic.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:03 pm

novamax wrote:Well, I guess, there's different people around anywhere - Some who don't even look at the band but listen to the music, and others who are specifially sold an idea including lifestyle and matching looks that coincidentally play this type of music... - or any shade in between So both seem to play a role.
It's not just that. The visuals are part of the art, many times. Even when they're not, consciously, they can color the perception of what music sounds like.

A very early project I took on as a freelance mixer (this was YEARS ago), I didn't do the best job. I was early in my stage of development. I was disappointed in the results I got... not awful, but certainly not great. However, the artist released a GREAT looking video to go with one of the tracks, and watching the video, the mix actually sounded better to me than it did originally. This taught me a big lesson.

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:59 pm

In a show business as music or pop music, esthetic is at least as important as the music itself.
Especially since internet, the images are almost everytime the first connexion you will have with an artist.

It is not new, images are so powerfull.

I play in an instrumental band. At everyshow: "your music is great but you should take a singer"... but why if the music is great? Because you have to be visual too and most of time the singer is the center of the attention. So... projecting movies, having a sexy bassist, special clothing or disguise... anything to make the show.
Of course you can decide to not do it but don't be surprise if people are bored.

On an other level, the imagery of an artist is marketing too:
Why is musicman making a St Vincent sig guitar? because she deserves it? haha...
I don't think that they plan to sell thousand of those but may be they just want to get the attention of a new public for their brand.
I think that a lot of guitarist would like to have a free, signature, made to your spec guitars + the money and publicity you can get with endorsemnent.
I believe that half the KC jags or mustangs that were sold were bought by fans and not guitarist. Even if these are great guitars.
Image is everything.
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:02 pm

kdanie wrote:
novamax wrote: Just imagine a country singer with a Schecter or B.C. Rich Warlock. Or a metal player with Guild with Bigsby. I'm pretty sure, it would not suffice that he plays good music there...
Just to poke the bear a little-

It also shows that not all old guys feel the need to sport bright Koi aloha shirts.

ken
Wow, a freaking Musicman...

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:19 pm

So, back to the EB....I love it ;)

Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Alien » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:49 pm

They are coming out with an slightly updated version of the Stingray guitar. A new offset for Musicman!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:17 pm

rhythmjones wrote:BTW Larry:

You should check out STV, she's amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YNoppwf8Pg
Thank you! I've been listening a bit... it's good, it's challenging which isn't a bad thing. She's a very good guitar player, but not in the way that you usually hear about good guitar players on guitar forums. She writes well on guitar, which I respect, is what I mean. I probably need some more listens to really learn to like it, though.
"Larry Ray Vaughan"

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Johnny Alien wrote:They are coming out with an slightly updated version of the Stingray guitar. A new offset for Musicman!
Yeah, now I'm interested.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:45 pm

My god, where do you guys get the energy to discuss this shit for so long? Lol
Maybe it's my age or maybe it's my job but I'm so sick of guitars these days. I've got a closet full of them and I wish they'd magically transform into a pile of cash... Except for 3-4 of them ;D
synth tech at www.rosensound.com

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:21 pm

You know what I like about Annie Clark? She finds good ways to wear her hair. Also I like her music, but I have the same kind of hair she has and I've always used stuff to keep it straight, but I'm growing it back out and it's humid in new England so it just curls right back up because that humidity spoils hairdos like chinga. So she's inspired me to just figure out how to deal with this pain in the ass hair and find good cuts for the curls.

Thanks Annie! That's way better than a guitar that doesn't squish your boobs, because I already have those. Jazzmasters are pretty boob friendly, for the record.
Being well dressed is never any indication of a person's possible inadequacies as a human. Being poorly dressed, however, often is.