NGD: 1965 Silvertone 1423L Jupiter

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).

What say you?

Plain Bigsby
43%
B-Blender
9%
Functionality trumps looks
9%
Take all that shit off, it was great as it was!!
28%
Stop being a whiny designer!
13%

Total votes: 47

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: 1965 Silvertone 1423L Jupiter

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:47 pm

Looks sharp with the Bigsby, I'm not a fan of the wee vestigial and generic tailpiece it originally had. On the bender; if it did something functional I needed, I'd not care about the looks.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:10 am

I'm with D and Maggie on this one Todd - bigsby all the way.

And that's one seriously sweet Jupiter there too ... I've always had a thing for these guitars. I like what you did with the risers too (it's the same solution as the wooden risers you find in Harmonys, like my H75).

All the best,
Kevin

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Sooo rad! I've wanted to try something like this for a while, like a 60's Sears catalog version of Neil Young's Old Black. Would love to hear it. Keep that bender handy, sounded like you were having some fun despite yourself, no one has to know...
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:21 am

Jupiter lives!
don't sell it. ;)

I voted for two things, the plain Bigsby and back to stock.
I love Bigsbys, but only if I can install them without big shims, and Gretschy string-heights. You have a Jet or something, right? I'm thinking you are probably fine with the Gretschy string-height.
I might have switched it back to stock for that reason. (then 6 months later put a Bigsby back on it...)

The B-blender attachment may have been useful, but aesthetically, clashed with all the vintage. Shouldn't matter, but I feel the same way about old hotrods with shiny billet wheels.

I'd also be interested in your review of that bridge.
Is the radius close enough? Did you consider a space-control? Do the strings stay put?

Love it, btw.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:29 am

Btw Todd that's a really nice floor. What kind of wood is it? I was looking at a Mercedes W108 6.3 300 SEL earlier and it had an optional (I think) Zebrano dash (well it didn't look like either straight or burl walnut and I'd read some had Zebrano) and it reminded me of your floor but with the grain shrunk to scale.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:08 am

Con-Tiki! wrote:Jupiter lives!
don't sell it.

I voted for two things, the plain Bigsby and back to stock.
I love Bigsbys, but only if I can install them without big shims, and Gretschy string-heights. You have a Jet or something, right? I'm thinking you are probably fine with the Gretschy string-height.
I might have switched it back to stock for that reason. (then 6 months later put a Bigsby back on it...)

The B-blender attachment may have been useful, but aesthetically, clashed with all the vintage. Shouldn't matter, but I feel the same way about old hotrods with shiny billet wheels.

I'd also be interested in your review of that bridge.
Is the radius close enough? Did you consider a space-control? Do the strings stay put?

Love it, btw.
I used to have a Duo Jet, but I sold it to buy the '54 ES-125. It's funny you mention it, because it does sort of remind me of that guitar. I'm pretty sure I've got a space-control bridge somewhere that I had on my old Jupiter. I've been meaning to dig for it and see how it works for this setup. I know what you mean about the new 'Gretsch height', and you aren't wrong. It's all a bit challenging but I think the payoff in the end will be worth the trouble after the kinks are all worked out. What's funny is how many people tell me they always wanted to do something like this but never found any information searching the interwebz. As far as the current bridge matching the curvature of the fretboard, I think it's really close, but I seem to remember the space-control being better suited to it.

shadowplay wrote:Btw Todd that's a really nice floor. What kind of wood is it? I was looking at a Mercedes W108 6.3 300 SEL earlier and it had an optional (I think) Zebrano dash (well it didn't look like either straight or burl walnut and I'd read some had Zebrano) and it reminded me of your floor but with the grain shrunk to scale.

D
Haha, thanks! It came with the house and I'm pretty sure it's a laminate, but it does get a lot compliments. Unfortunately the rest of the house is carpeted. I have big plans to rip it out and put wood throughout. :ph34r:
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:01 am

Jupiter!

Love these. Sometime I wish I never sold mine either. I think the plain Bigsby is the best combo of form and function. Aren't you afraid that it will crack that fragile top? :o
I always feel like these guitars are soooo fragile?

PS - Carpet sucks! I always fully support those who want to remove carpet in favor of wood. :ph34r:
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:27 am

kosmonautmayhem wrote:Jupiter!

Love these. Sometime I wish I never sold mine either. I think the plain Bigsby is the best combo of form and function. Aren't you afraid that it will crack that fragile top?

PS - Carpet sucks! I always fully support those who want to remove carpet in favor of wood.
You'd be amazed the punishment these guitars can take.
I once saved an old Danelectro that had been covered with cement/mosaic tile/grout. Weighed 16 lbs, no idea if the person who did it ever played the guitar, or if it was bad art.
Anyway, after trying gentle techniques, I was forced to bust the tile off with a ball-peen hammer. Not one of those 1x1 tiles came off intact. Hammer and chisel for the cement bedding. No cracks, only one smal gouge where I got careless with the chisel. In the end, I was able to wet-sand the original finish. You'd have never known.
Jupiters are even sturdier. That top is some sort of plywood, much stronger than the Masonite on a dano.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:30 am

Con-Tiki! wrote:
kosmonautmayhem wrote:Jupiter!

Love these. Sometime I wish I never sold mine either. I think the plain Bigsby is the best combo of form and function. Aren't you afraid that it will crack that fragile top?

PS - Carpet sucks! I always fully support those who want to remove carpet in favor of wood.
You'd be amazed the punishment these guitars can take.
I once saved an old Danelectro that had been covered with cement/mosaic tile/grout. Weighed 16 lbs, no idea if the person who did it ever played the guitar, or if it was bad art.
Anyway, after trying gentle techniques, I was forced to bust the tile off with a ball-peen hammer. Not one of those 1x1 tiles came off intact. Hammer and chisel for the cement bedding. No cracks, only one smal gouge where I got careless with the chisel. In the end, I was able to wet-sand the original finish. You'd have never known.
Jupiters are even sturdier. That top is some sort of plywood, much stronger than the Masonite on a dano.
Plus, there's a solid block under the bridge, adding extra support there. It's fully hollow, otherwise.

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:35 am

Crap. You just gave me crazy GAS. So much hotness in one guitar. So much.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:15 am

Good to know these are sturdier than I would give them credit for.
I can't believe the masonite story! :w00t: Thats a resto tale for the annals of time.

I don't remember the wood block supporting the bridge - but that would definitely help!

Not. Helping. My. Silvertone / Dano GAS. :wacko:
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:43 pm

Per Chris's suggestion, I dug out my old Space-Control bridge and stuck in on the Jupiter (seems appropriate, somehow :ph34r: ). I was amazed at the difference it made, more resonance, brighter tone, less string buzz (which I attribute to the aluminum bridge being slightly flatter than the neck radius), and much better intonation. Plus I get the added benefit of adjusting the string spacing.

I also started recording some sound clips last night. I'll try and finish those up and post them tonight or soon thereafter. ;)

therizzla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by therizzla » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Telliot wrote:Per Chris's suggestion, I dug out my old Space-Control bridge and stuck in on the Jupiter (seems appropriate, somehow ). I was amazed at the difference it made, more resonance, brighter tone, less string buzz (which I attribute to the aluminum bridge being slightly flatter than the neck radius), and much better intonation. Plus I get the added benefit of adjusting the string spacing.

It's perfect! The new bridge even looks better!
reverb.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:29 pm

therizzla wrote:
Telliot wrote:Per Chris's suggestion, I dug out my old Space-Control bridge and stuck in on the Jupiter (seems appropriate, somehow ). I was amazed at the difference it made, more resonance, brighter tone, less string buzz (which I attribute to the aluminum bridge being slightly flatter than the neck radius), and much better intonation. Plus I get the added benefit of adjusting the string spacing.

It's perfect! The new bridge even looks better!
EPIC! EPIC! EPIC!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Good stuff.
I've wondered about those bridges. All my crappy Sears guitars have non-normal string spacing, this is the answer.
Todd, that guitar is perfect.
Last edited by Con-Tiki! on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Christopher, also)