Anyone else got any love for a G&L Fallout?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else got any love for a G&L Fallout?

Post by Ro_S » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:45 pm

theslack5 wrote:I like these, I didn't know they existed before this thread but from the reviews I've read they seem like a bit of a bargain.
They are a great buy - definitely a rival to a Squier or an Epiphone. I'm in the UK and found it hard find many UK dealers. I bought my one from Sheenans Music (Leicester) for £328 incl. delivery, set-up and 5-year warranty. That's the best price I could find for red or black finish. There was brand new Sonic Blue one on ebay for £300.

note: I'm NOT affiliated with the either of the retailers referred to above.
Effects for Me & my Monkey
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/RSguitarEFFECTS

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 pm

[quote="davewrites"]I'm another guy with a Tribute Fallout who's keeping his eye on some American-made models, but not for the reasons of build quality, or pickups, or status. I'm just madly in love with a colour combo that it isn't available in the Tribute Series...

I too liked the Sonic Blue finish on the Tribute Series Fallout but I didn't like the maple fretboard. I ended up buying the red one.

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:52 pm

@ Oig -
Oig wrote: I have a JB and Fralin I'm going to put into the Tribute. We'll see how things go from there...
I'd be really interested to know how the JB bridge compares to the stock G&L pick-up. I'm assuming G&L tried to voice it just like the JB, so it should be very close?

Please could you let me know your findings?

Thanks

p.s. anyone know what the output is on the P90?

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:49 pm

I'll keep you updated for sure :)

Earballing the JB in my PRS, I'd say it'll have more top end than the stock G&L bucker, and possibly just a little more grunt. I don't think G&L list the output of the P90, but it's wound hot.

FWIW, I think the Tribute series tops most MIM Fenders in terms of build quality, although they're not a million miles from each other. They're quite a bit better than regular Squiers and Epis in my opinion.

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:01 pm

@ Oig -

Thanks.
Oig wrote:FWIW, I think the Tribute series tops most MIM Fenders in terms of build quality, although they're not a million miles from each other. They're quite a bit better than regular Squiers and Epis in my opinion.
Your MIM Fender comparison reflects very well indeed on the Tribute series G&Ls. I've never had a MIM Fender so I couldn't comment. As the Fallout is a lower priced model in the Tribute series range, it gives it even better value for money - - it's like if one buys the worst house in a street of more expensive house.

I only mentioned Squiers and Epiphones because, at least in UK, the Tribute G&Ls retail for about the same as the much more common, higher end Squiers and Epiphones. Price wise, in the UK, the G&L Fallout is a direct match for a Classic Vibe Squier, for example.

davewrites
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davewrites » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:01 pm

Both my G&L Tribute Series guitars (Fallout and an ASAT Special) arrived with a better build quality and factory setup than the 4 MIM Fenders I've owned -- no question. Only one of those MIM Fenders I've kept and both G&Ls are definite keepers.

I'd say the G&L build quality noses out the 2 Epiphones I've owned as well as all 3 Vintage Modified Squiers. All the guitars I've listed are decent, mind you. I'd rate my Epis an 8.0 and a 8.5 out of 10. My MIM Fenders would be 7.0, 7.5, 7.5 and 8.0 (all 4 had neck issues). The 2 Squiers VMs I bought new, I'd give an 8.5 for both (the used one a 7.0 because it had a lot of mileage but was set up well).

But the ASAT Special was a 9.0 and the Fallout a 9.5. I'd rank the Fallout at par with my MIJ Fender. Other brands I've owned that I'd give a 9.0 or 9.5 to... Reverend and Hell Guitars, which retail for a few hundred more.

So, yeah, I'd definitely say the Indonesian G&Ls I've owned are slightly better than Epiphone, Squier and MIM Fenders, and they rival more expensive MIJ Fenders, MIK Reverends and MIC Hell Guitars.

What kept the Fallout from achieving a perfect-10? It was pristine -- no blemishes or imperfections and it needed minimal set up but... the pots/knobs and toggle switch aren't as firm or sturdy as I prefer. I would't call them flimsy but I do wish they were a little more snug, especially the push/pull tone knob. And there was also some slight fraying on the edge of the pickguard inside the P90 rout. But that's it -- no issues with the Fallout's neck, frets, tuners, bridge, nut, pickups, paint job, etc.

More feedback: the Fallout's stock bridge 'bucker is rock solid. It may not be a SD JB but it's actually pretty hard to tell the difference. In fact, I'm partly convinced the stock G&L pickup (designed by Paul Gagon) may be a JB clone. I wouldn't doubt it if they had very similar specs.

Most humbucker guitars I've owned in the sub-$500 price range come with modest humbuckers and there typically is a temptation to upgrade because they sound a little flat or muddy or unbalanced. For a brief time I was sourcing a JB for a transplant into the Fallout (probably out of sheer habit), but then I realized there is nothing wrong with the stock G&L pup. I stopped looking because that particular upgrade may not be worth my time and effort. Whatever improvement could be obtained, I'd bet it's minimal.

What I eventually realized is the stock pickup's output works really well with the neck P90, even when split it's split. I bet if you "upgraded" that bridge HB, you might lose that carefully crafted neck/bridge balance. Sure you may install a better 'bucker, but would that better 'bucker work as well in combination with the stock P90. It's not a gamble I'm willing to take.

Final thought: for both my G&Ls, my favourite position is the middle position, which is a compliment that I cannot pay to most of my other beloved guitars. I think G&L puts a lot more care into pickup selection and pairing when designing a new model -- much more than most other companies. Sure I've only owned 2 G&Ls, but their middle positions are far better than almost every other guitar I've owned.

[/my3cents]
Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Good post sir. I was going to write a similar opus, but won't for lack of typing skills/time :)

Coupla things: I totally agree about the switch/pots, and specifically the tone pot. It's one tiny niggle they should really take care of. Otherwise it's rock, rock solid.

Funny, the middle position is also my fave, both tapped and untapped.

Gagon did an awesome job with these pickups. In fact, over on the G&L forum there's a guy who swapped out the Seymour buckers on his USA ASAT for this bucker and another Gagon designed one in the neck. There is absolutely no need to swap these out, but I have the other pickups lying around so I may as well...and besides, they're easy enough to put back in.

I'd wager there'll be a difference. Played side by side in another mahogany guitar, the JB has more top end and bite. To my ears the Gagon bucker is a little darker and smoother. It doesn't have quite the same aggressive edge (that's probably a good thing). We'll see how those qualities translate in the Fallout. The P90 in the Fallout is also voiced on the darker side. It'll be interesting to see what the Fralin brings...

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 am

Anyone modded their Fallout?

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Just got one of these - a Tribute in mint green (which is basically surf green).

It's pretty amazing for the price. Fit, finish and build quality are far beyond what I expected for the price. Genuinely. It looks and feels like, say, a low-end US Fender.

It sounds as good as a much more expensive humbucker-equipped guitar that I also own and has, in fact, made me decide to now sell that guitar, which I didn't expect to happen!

The coil tap is really useable and completely transforms the sound of the guitar into something much more Strat-like.

Definitely recommended by me.

9mmninjamonkey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by 9mmninjamonkey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 am

Ro_S wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 am
Anyone modded their Fallout?
I added Straplocks... does that count? :D