Anyone else got any love for a G&L Fallout?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else got any love for a G&L Fallout?

Post by Oig » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:44 pm

Ro_S wrote:I love the G&L Fallout. I encountered the model late last year.

Tribute series version bought/ordered.

Fullerton Red finish.

I can't work out whether it's technically an offset or not?
That's mine exactly. Enjoy it, they're great guitars! Was wondering if it's an offset myself. If it is, it's probably by the thinnest of margins...

davewrites
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davewrites » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:30 pm

I was an early adopter and have owned a G&L Tribute Series Fallout since August '13.

Love my Fallout. Love it -- the body shape, scale length, neck profile/radius, pickups, bridge, balance, weight, build quality and, yes, even the pickguard.

The Fallout quelled a lot of GAS for me from Fender Mustang, to Reverend Secret Agent, to Silvertone Jupiter. I bought it based on stock photos, spec sheets and price. And of all my online guitar purchases, this acquisition has impressed me the most, but a lot of that has to do with me "taking a flyer" and not having big expectations to begin with.

It's the most versatile guitar in my arsenal and I would recommend it to anyone, but with that I'm not implying that it's generic or vanilla in any way. I own 8 electrics and the Fallout not only holds its own -- it stands out. It's also the first guitar I've ever considered owning 2 of, well, just because.

I own the Gloss Black/Rosewood Fallout and I almost bought the Sonic Blue/Maple so I could switch the necks -- I wanted Gloss Black/Maple/Tort and a Sonic Blue/Rosewood/MOP... but I was at work when the auction finished and was outbid at the last second. It's staggering to think some Fallouts have sold for under $300 on eBay. I can't think of a better guitar value than finding a G&L Fallout for under $350.

Anyways, here are some pics I snapped a long time ago...

...and if you're wondering, there are no marks or wear on the black finish. Any imperfections you see in these photos are dust, lint, fingerprints or the lighting. The only factory imperfection was some fraying on the pickguard edges around the P90 rout (see pics #2 and #3), which I later tidied up with a few gentle swipes of fine grit paper.

So there you have it: another endorsement of the G&L Fallout!

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to sneak away to play my Fallout through my Pathfinder before it gets too late and sleep takes over.

Cheers!
Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:51 am

Wow, that looks really nice in the black w/ the white guard, WAY better than the promo photos.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:48 am

Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:I kinda like the looks but agree that the pickguard is the lowpoint for me.
mediocreplayer wrote: I would love to get an SC-2, but as long as they have the MFD pickups, I don't think this will happen. Too hot for my liking.
Unfortunately I think I'm in the same boat w/ my ASAT Special. Really love everything else about the guitar but I'm discovering more and more that the MFDs are just too hot for me.
I've heard, but can't personally confirm, that they're wound differently for each model- I'm not sure what the sound differences are though.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:44 am

noisepunk wrote:
I've heard, but can't personally confirm, that they're wound differently for each model- I'm not sure what the sound differences are though.
That would make sense. Think I'm going to start exploring the options for what would work as a direct swap in.
andy_tchp wrote:Wow, that looks really nice in the black w/ the white guard, WAY better than the promo photos.
I agree.

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:10 pm

davewrites wrote: It's the most versatile guitar in my arsenal and I would recommend it to anyone, but with that I'm not implying that it's generic or vanilla in any way. I own 8 electrics and the Fallout not only holds its own -- it stands out. It's also the first guitar I've ever considered owning 2 of, well, just because.
Ha! This. Exactly. I also have 8 electrics, mostly US made and vintage, and this guitar is the most versatile of all.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:34 pm

I really wasn't aware of these before. But they look like just the thing to eventually replace the jet king I sold. So thanks for this thread!
This is an excellent rectangle

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:57 am

mackerelmint wrote:I really wasn't aware of these before. But they look like just the thing to eventually replace the jet king I sold. So thanks for this thread!
Do it! And, anytime... ;D

davewrites
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davewrites » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:57 am

mackerelmint wrote:I really wasn't aware of these before. But they look like just the thing to eventually replace the jet king I sold. So thanks for this thread!

Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:09 am

G&L makes stunning guitars, I own three of them. I don't have a Fallout, though, and am fighting off the temptation! This thread is hardly helping.

Still, for anyone who doesn't have a G&L product, you'll be very impressed with the playability of the guitar when you get it. They just do a great job with that, although based on the one Tribute Legacy I played for like ten minutes, you might need to get those setup.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:44 pm

I can't really work out the colour of my one with the Fullerton Red finish. It's not a proper red. It has something orange-ness to it - which I don't mind at all - but it's not orange. And it's not a salmon pink type red either.

Is G&L's Fullerton Red finish the same as an official Fender colour, does anyone know? I'm just curious.
Effects for Me & my Monkey
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/RSguitarEFFECTS

Oig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oig » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:56 am

Ro_S wrote:I can't really work out the colour of my one with the Fullerton Red finish. It's not a proper red. It has something orange-ness to it - which I don't mind at all - but it's not orange. And it's not a salmon pink type red either.

Is G&L's Fullerton Red finish the same as an official Fender colour, does anyone know? I'm just curious.
Yeah, I'm curious about this color too. My bud loves it, thinks it has a really retro flavor. I wasn't too crazy about it at first, maybe 'cause it reminds me of a thousand cheap '80's superstrat clones ;D In person, mine has this weird 'brownness" to the color that almost dulls the impact. But it's kinda growing on me.

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:11 am

Oig wrote:Yeah, I'm curious about this color too. My bud loves it, thinks it has a really retro flavor. I wasn't too crazy about it at first, maybe 'cause it reminds me of a thousand cheap '80's superstrat clones In person, mine has this weird 'brownness" to the color that almost dulls the impact. But it's kinda growing on me.
Yeah, it's a funny one. Hard to describe the Fullerton Red finish. It's not red like it appaesr in the official stock pics.
Oig wrote:I'm still not that crazy about the way it looks]
Really? I really like how it looks! I wouldn't buy a new guitar if I didn't really like how it looked. All three colours are nice - i was put off the Sonic Blue one, though, cos of the maple fretboard. The pickguard looks is fine to me.

The Fallout body shape is obviously very similar to Mustang/DuoSonic/Musicman, but I prefer the Fallout's shape to them: Whereas the Mustang always looks odd to me cos they appear very elongated due to their narrow waist; the Fallout seems a bit a broader/squatter. Oh, and it's full llength scale, of course.

I pretty picky about guitars, even though I only buy "affordable" ones. The Fallout satisfies all my requirements.

Why is it so hard to find a guitar that satisfies all of the following requirements?

- looks really good
- sounds good
- easy to play
- weight wise, on the lighter side
- contoured body
- comfortable neck
- Rosewood fretboard
- not shortscale
- hardtail
- no Bigsby crap
- good saddle/bridge design
- angled, tuners-on-one-side headstock
- in the neck position, a P90 pick-up or something similar and not a humbucker.
- affordable
- not a Les Paul
- not a Strat
- not a Tele

Is that too much to ask? Surely it shouldn't be that hard?

Full marks to the G&L Fallout (tribute series).

BriansAWildDowner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BriansAWildDowner » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:38 am

Ro_S, have you checked out the Reverend Double Agent?

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrume ... -agent-og/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:48 am

BriansAWildDowner wrote:Ro_S, have you checked out the Reverend Double Agent?

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrume" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -agent-og/

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Reverend have been vaguely on my rader. However, I think their prices are probably beyond what I'd want to pay for a guitar, especially as I'm in the UK. I don't think they have any UK dealers.