NGD - Eko J56 12-string Acoustic....

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - Eko J56 12-string Acoustic....

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:19 pm

brownman wrote: Maybe I should post up pix of my early 70s Ranger vii because I think it prob all stock original.
Do it :)

If you ever planned on selling the 12 string you'd probably make money on it, easily.
They seem to sell for around £100 more than non-electric Rangers, although I think the Ranger VIs sell for more.
To be honest, they seem to be all over the place. They just haven't gained much at all, value-wise.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Hey nice one porky, thanx for keeping the thread running 8) BTW, are you porkies prime cuts who cut half of the records I still have on vinyl by any chance ??

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:36 pm

brownman wrote:Hey nice one porky, thanx for keeping the thread running BTW, are you porkies prime cuts who cut half of the records I still have on vinyl by any chance ??
Heheheh! I'm not the original Porky (George Peckham), no.

I just used the name as it's always played a strange part in my love of music. It's been there from the very start of my vinyl buying days.

:)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:51 am

brownman wrote:Yep i've gone back over the thead pictures and I'm thinking it's a 60s Ranger 12 body - (ie the bridge, the rectangular neck plate tide mark, and the gold foil pickup and wiring) - I don't think it's a J56, (although I rather hoped it would be) which has had an early/mid 70s neck replacement (3 piece with block inlays and laminated EKO logo) which has been put on later. That would explain the missing neck plate and screws, replaced with non-conventional brass screws and washers.

The body has no lacquer cracking, it aint pristine, but hell, it plays nice... and that Hofner gold foil pup looks and sounds complete and utter horn (Ry Cooder stylee). I payed £40 for it and the NOS tuners from Brandoni cost £35, so all in for 75 squids I'm very happy.

Maybe I should post up pix of my early 70s Ranger vii because I think it prob all stock original.
The pickup is from a far eastern cheapo - think Kay/Teisco - not a Hofner, with non-original x-bracing. People often sell these as Ry Cooder related, but they actually have very little in common with the DeArmond gold foils he favours; they were perhaps more ubiquitous in their black and silver form, but the gold-silver incarnation is the same pickup rendered "highly desirable" by dishonest association. But if you like how it sounds, that's all that matters. The stock Eko pickup wasn't earth-shattering in any case.

The knobs on your guitar are generic modern additions too - the originals would've been brassy gold-topped white/cream dome knobs if I remember rightly.
brownman wrote:Image
From this picture it looks like the top two screws are closer together than the bottom ones, suggesting it would have had the typical trapezoid neck-plate. Could just be the camera angle, but the fact the screws and cup washers are massively over-sized might be skewing the picture. Originals turn up regularly on eBay for about £15 if you want to get it closer to stock, but you'd have to check what's going on underneath those massive screws first as the neck holes could have been enlarged, making it a bit more complex than a simple swap-over.

I wish I still had my Ranger XII. I remember how right it sounded with brand new strings and how quickly the sparkle faded - literally overnight. I'd love to try one with a set of Elixirs - the boxy-sounding Ranger XII could be one of the few acoustics that would be a perfect match for their too-bright brightness.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:06 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote: I wish I still had my Ranger XII. I remember how right it sounded with brand new strings and how quickly the sparkle faded - literally overnight. I'd love to try one with a set of Elixirs - the boxy-sounding Ranger XII could be one of the few acoustics that would be a perfect match for their too-bright brightness.
I can't say I actually miss mine, even though it was a very pretty thing indeed.

I'm being strangely haunted by the memory of a new Guild 12 string I picked up in Wunjo around the time I was fixing up the EKO 12. That thing seemed half as light, sooooo much easier to fret & just sounded stupendously good. I doubt I'd ever buy another 12 string but if I did I'd definitely try a few before I committed to splashing the cash.

The EKO did sound great (it had beautiful Flanger-like qualities at times) but I found it a really battle to play. I'd shy away from barring the thing because it totally wore my hands out in a matter of minutes!

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:59 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
UlricvonCatalyst wrote: I wish I still had my Ranger XII. I remember how right it sounded with brand new strings and how quickly the sparkle faded - literally overnight. I'd love to try one with a set of Elixirs - the boxy-sounding Ranger XII could be one of the few acoustics that would be a perfect match for their too-bright brightness.
I can't say I actually miss mine, even though it was a very pretty thing indeed.

I'm being strangely haunted by the memory of a new Guild 12 string I picked up in Wunjo around the time I was fixing up the EKO 12. That thing seemed half as light, sooooo much easier to fret & just sounded stupendously good. I doubt I'd ever buy another 12 string but if I did I'd definitely try a few before I committed to splashing the cash.

The EKO did sound great (it had beautiful Flanger-like qualities at times) but I found it a really battle to play. I'd shy away from barring the thing because it totally wore my hands out in a matter of minutes!
Mine was my main guitar while I still had youth and vigour on my side, so I never had a problem with any of that. I do find myself wondering how I'd get on now, though, given the difficulty I have playing either of my acoustics....though I remember the Eko's action being an absolute dream.

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Allo gents, just bringing up this thread again - I've just picked up an E-Ros 606 Dakota, pretty much a 60s re-badged Ranger, I haven't got it yet because somebody else has collected it for me, should pick it up this week, I'll post some picks if you guys are interested ??

Tellyz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tellyz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:31 pm

It's a while since I posted with the excitement I had when I got the Eko 12 string, gifted to me from some friends. It was 1 step away from going to the tip when I got it.

With some love it has come back to be a great guitar. My goal was to spend as little as possible on it in case it turned out to be a dud... The bridge was lifting so after taking it off and cleaned up it was glued back on. There was quite a bellie bulge so I addressed that with a second hand JLD Bridge doctor I had sitting in a dead guitar in the back room, bulge gone and no money spent yet. Tuners were rusted and not repairable and were replaced with some vintage Gotoh Japanese made tuners I had laying around. A good clean up, dressed the odd fret that was sitting proud, polished everything up, set it up, strung it up with a bunch of Elixir strings I got cheap on line and Bob's your uncle.

What I discovered is a great guitar to play and sounds great. Very much a bluesy Blind Willie McTell sound to this guitar. It eats up bluesy or folk tunes and sounds the bomb. I prefer it over my vintage Takamine F400S and F400 and have got them both listed for sale because this Eko is very cool to play and suits my playing style. The Takamines are a more refined guitar and tone but it's my playing style that lends itself well to the Eko. A more refined style would suit something like the Tak's so it would be horses for courses!!!!!

I love the neck profile and though it has a similar nut width to the Tak's it's easier to play.

Here's some pics. The light was very poor for taking pics at my place today!!!
Last edited by Tellyz on Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 pm

I can't see those pictures.

Unfortunately, unless you're willing to pay for their premium service, Photobucket images will always appear as a placeholder. Maybe try a different free site like imgur.

Tellyz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tellyz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:36 pm

Ok folks, try again?????

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Glad to see it up & running again.

Tellyz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tellyz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:58 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:Glad to see it up & running again.
Resurrected from the nearly dead.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:05 am

Tellyz wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:Glad to see it up & running again.
Resurrected from the nearly dead.
It's very hard to kill an Eko Ranger (or J56, in your case).

;D

brownman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brownman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi guys, does anybody know which years or era the large stuck on plastic panel EKO logo on the Ranger headstocks belong to? Where they only used on 12 strings or 6s too. Does the white on black or black on white denote different eras?