Classic 50s Series Lacquer Telecaster

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Classic 50s Series Lacquer Telecaster

Post by fullerplast » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:45 am

BBRRTT wrote:I've been kind of eyeing these up, I just want to have a go on one first really. There's a non-nitro version in a shop near me I keep meaning to go and check out, I guess they're the exact same thing bar the finish?

That said, if the £330 used one I saw on Gumtree a week or so back was closer to me I would've gone for it there and then.
Yes, the other one is $100 cheaper (retail) and differs only in the finish and I think a bag instead of the nice tweed case.
Q. Are we not men?

frippy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frippy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:54 am

fullerplast wrote: True that. But one thing that's not widely known is the MIM Classic Series have CTS pots, CRL switches and Switchcraft jack. So... with a set of AVRI '52 pickups ($85 in the US) you're good to go with one of these. It's nice these have the case too, unlike most other MIMs.
How are the bridge/saddles/tremolo blocks on the MIM Classic Series? Do you know if it a higher-mass steel block or the lower-mass zinc block, as in the MIM Standard Series?

P

BBRRTT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BBRRTT » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 am

Ah yeah, that too. The price difference is unfortunately about £200 over here which is a bit severe but I'd probably keep an eye out for a used one anyway, the Mexican stuff generally seems to be great value used.

Think these will look pretty gorgeous with a black bakelite guard on them :?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:09 am

frippy wrote:
fullerplast wrote: True that. But one thing that's not widely known is the MIM Classic Series have CTS pots, CRL switches and Switchcraft jack. So... with a set of AVRI '52 pickups ($85 in the US) you're good to go with one of these. It's nice these have the case too, unlike most other MIMs.
How are the bridge/saddles/tremolo blocks on the MIM Classic Series? Do you know if it a higher-mass steel block or the lower-mass zinc block, as in the MIM Standard Series?

P
Ah, I was talking Teles, I really can't say about Strats.

I know the Teles have the 3 saddle string-through PAT. PEND. plate that looks to be the same as the AV but with steel slotted saddles instead of smooth brass.
Q. Are we not men?

frippy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frippy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:45 pm

fullerplast wrote: Ah, I was talking Teles, I really can't say about Strats.

I know the Teles have the 3 saddle string-through PAT. PEND. plate that looks to be the same as the AV but with steel slotted saddles instead of smooth brass.
No worries :)

The Tele bridge is the same as the '52 AVRI except for the steel saddles from what I've read and the reviewer suggested the saddles were the same as those on the recent late '50s ('59?) AVRI.

P

johnnydeformed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by johnnydeformed » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:36 pm

I had an Olympic White 60s classic with brass saddles that was fantastic. I really regret selling that one. Has anyone compared these to the poly versions? Is it really just the finish difference?

frippy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frippy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:23 pm

frippy wrote: How are the bridge/saddles/tremolo blocks on the MIM Classic Series? Do you know if it a higher-mass steel block or the lower-mass zinc block, as in the MIM Standard Series?
As I have an answer to my own question now, I thought I'd post it should anyone else be interested. The MIM Classic Series Lacquer '50s and '60s Stratocasters have the low-mass zinc block and softer bridge of the MIM Standard Series, as do the MIM Classic Series. I queried Dave's Guitar in Lacrosse, WI when they put a '50s lacquer strat up for sale.

P

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:39 pm

fullerplast wrote:Why again should someone pay ~ $2k for the AV?
The neck carve.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:17 am

Stereordinary wrote:
fullerplast wrote:Why again should someone pay ~ $2k for the AV?
The neck carve.
Not so sure about that, Paul. The '06 50s Tele that I have has a really nice chunky neck, almost a U-shape. They took care to replicate the early to mid 50s style neck even in the MIM classic series. It's definitely not the same neck as a MIM standard, or even the Am Std Tele (or whatever it's called these days.
Q. Are we not men?

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:28 am

Well perhaps some of the newer lines have better carves than what I've felt in the past. In my experience all of the MIM, MIJ, Indonesia, China, basically everything but the MIA stuff has really bad neck profiles. All the transitions tend to be bulky and far too gradual, and then the upper register is just this awful flat D shape thing. I do hope they are better now, but I wouldn't want anything like what I've seen so far. I will admit that if Squier releases a Jaguar (whichever series is the more vintage-accurate one) in BMM with a matching headstock, I'll probably get one anyway.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:29 am

Also I would argue that a $2000 US-made guitar is not a bad deal, generally-speaking. But it would appear that Fender is shooting themselves in the foot offering such well-respected import stuff at a bargain price.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:56 am

Both points well taken.

I was surprised myself. I always thought the MIM classic series were just supposed to pretty much replicate the general look. I had no idea they were actually getting accurate.

It does seem kind of like shooting themselves in the foot in two ways. One, when you cater to everybody you water down the brand, and two you shift the focus of the line down and are competing with yourself in the marketplace. That's kind of what they did with Fender Japan in the early 80s.
Q. Are we not men?

infiniteposse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by infiniteposse » Sun May 14, 2017 6:28 am

Zombie-thread...

I just got one of these (2009) in like-new from pawn shop for $450 and am in the midst of debating whether I keep it or not. I'm already feeling the urge to upgrade the guard, pickups, compensated saddles, etc...

Mine weighs about 7.4lbs, great neck shape (better than my old CS Nocaster that had too much shoulder for me) and the pickups are serviceable. I'm always shocked when a tele's Bridge pickup doesn't annoy me.

Have you guys held onto yours? Any more upgrades that have worked well?

I've got a CS 63 tele in Daphne blue that's a better guitar, but the classic isn't worlds away from it. I prefer nitro for feel, but for value, this thing is amazing.

Any more thoughts appreciated.

Lee
Lee