Re: UNBELIEVABLE! (pawn shop find) L@@K!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

UNBELIEVABLE! (pawn shop find) L@@K!

Post by fullerplast » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:35 am

I know how most of the offsetters feel about $trats. Even so, I have to rant and rave about what I just picked up. I am SO psyched! I think you will understand:

I had to go to the wonderful VA Hospital in Orlando today, so I didn't go to work. The appointment was in the middle of the day, and being an hour away, it was not practical to show up at work before or after. I was done over there around 12:30, so I decided to make a pawn shop run on my way home. I knew where several were from past experience over there, so I made a mental route and started in.

First shop...  I saw an Aria 335 Lawsuit copy in Greenburst with P-90s. All original, very nice condition. It was marked $319. A little conversation and I found out that I could walk out for it for $240 out-the-door. Tempting. But I passed. I thought maybe I could score $100 or so on it on the bay... but wasn't sure.

Second shop.... Nothing.

Third shop.... BINGO!  :o

As soon as I walked in the door, I caught a glimpse of a yellowish strat with maple neck. Getting closer... I see it's beat to shit. My heart is beating now. I get to the counter, and see it has a spag logo and gold hardware. I'm expecting a Partsocaster or hotrod MIM, but it's ASH! and BLONDE! My adrenaline is up now. All the clerks were busy so I paced around waiting. Finally I get some guy and tell him I wanna see the yellow guitar. He hands it over the counter to me and says "it's pretty expensive". I flip it over and see... R0306 on the neckplate. I look at the headstock and see the Custom Shop logo impressed into the end. This is a MARY KAYE CUSTOM SHOP RELIC! It's marked $799.99. I ask him if it has a case. He checks the tag and says yeah. I ask to see it. He disappears while I'm looking this thing over. He comes back with a tweed Fender RI case, stained but intact. I'm so excited now. I open it to see it's a CENTER POCKET case, like only found on the Custom Shop '56s and such. I open the compartment, and it's chock full of stuff; I pull out the trem arm, bridge cover (still  wrapped), owner's manual, envelope with extra springs, the back plate, miscellaneous strings (old and new), the polish cloth, a bottle of Fender cleaner, a photo of some Jamaican-looking guy drinking a beer, a sheet of hand-drawn blues scales, the orange sheet of setup instructions.... AND THE HOLY GRAIL! I find the original Certificate of Authenticity with the matching serial number,  dated Dec. 95 and signed by John Page!!! 

;D

I offer $500. No, it just came out on the floor yesterday and we have $500 in it. I offer $650. No, it just came out yesterday. I offer $750. No, it just came out yesterday. Plus some guy who works there says its a good guitar and should be alot higher than the $799.99. I ask him to go ask the manager. He comes back. No, it just came out yesterday and that one guy said its a good guitar... plus all it needs is A GOOD PAINT JOB!  So I say, OK... I'll give the $799.99 but can you eat the tax?  No. And if you don't buy it we're going to raise the price. That one guy said it's a 1953 and its really a good one. Since it just came out on the floor we can't take nothing off. So I buy it. It all came to $851.99.

I come home and look it up on ebay. Someone just listed one with a BIN of $5500!!!  I was thinking $2500 - $3200 or so. Of course, it's just listed for that, I'm anxious to see what it actually brings.

I still can't believe it, my head is swimming.

I'll post a pic shortly....

:) :D ;D :P :-*
Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:47 am

Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:49 am

I can't tell how much of the wear is real and how much is custom shop. It's very heavily reliced.

The case has a Greyhound Bus ticket stub tied to the handle, with the destination Orlando written on it.

This is so cool. I feel lucky.

Hey, the bridge cover and trem arm aren't gold?!
Q. Are we not men?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:10 pm

I HATE YOU!!!!

;) ;) ;) ;)

You one lucky dog, Doug!  I loves me some blonde Stratocaster action.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

matthew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matthew » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:18 pm

Well done! That is pretty amazing.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:28 pm

Thanks!   :)

I'm cleaning it up. I'm trying to strike a balance... I don't want it spotless because the dirt and grime are authentic, and it's a relic. But the frets and board had to be cleaned, they were rough and downright disgusting. I also took off the lady decal. I didn't mind the decal so much, but the placement was goofy, IMO. It left a slightly whiter shadow, showing that the finish has yellowed in the past 11 years.

It's all original. The body is stamped RELIC in the neck pocket and trem cavity. Likewise the neck is stamped RELIC and pencil dated 08-24-1995.
The custom shop logo is stamped under the guard. The parts have labels with numbers written on them, and say Custom Shop.

1995 was the first full year for Relics, and the parts were farmed out to Vince Cunetto for the aging. From what I've been reading these things are collectible!

Here's the eBay auction for a simiilar one, made in 1996:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

I'll probably sell this eventually, I really don't need another Strat.  Too bad I didn't find a killer Jazzmaster!
Last edited by fullerplast on Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:36 pm

I hate strats.. amazing find though, I'd flip it and buy a nice original Jazzmaster

lucky bastard  8)

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Doug, dude, you are officially a bastard!  :-X :o :D I could live without that Memphis-Belle-looking transfer on the arse end of the guitar, but otherwise...sweet as sweet.

Why does stuff like that never happen to me? Doug, you must have score-dar. Well done indeed.  ;)

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:45 pm

fullerplast wrote: I also took off the lady decal.
Just saw this. Quite right too!

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:00 pm

Well done, Doug .. the CS guys go crazy over Cunettos.

8)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:29 pm

I still can't believe it...  :o

I should have it back together and strung up within the hour.

It's looking good with the fullerplast detail job! I'll post pics after it's done.

I can't believe how REAL this thing looks, better than other relics I've seen. It must have been gigged for years before the poor dude had to pawn it off. I felt a little bad for him as I threw his picture away along with the remains of the Memphis Belle decal and his handwritten blues scales. I'm keepin' the bus ticket stub though...
Q. Are we not men?

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:41 pm

Now that is a great score Doug - congrats. The Cunetto era relics are certainly the most coveted and the most collectable - both b/c they're more realistic than those that followed and b/c they don't make them any more. I have no doubt that the stuff the CS is churning out on a regular basis for their regular time machine product lines will NOT be highly collectable (One offs and the like are possibly different, as are masterbuilts).

My only strat at present (other than one I built) is a CS Page era circa '94 60's sunburst Strat, but this was pre relic stuff  - just when they were starting to make them more accurate - but not gettting it 100% right yet. Its a very fine guitar, superbly made, if you're into strats.....
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:03 pm

what a score!!

this is fantastic news, Doug!

hope it brings you loads of cash eventualy when you sell it...I'm actualy pretty sure it will!!!

woohoo!!

:)

8)
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:08 pm

Oh man, it already looks 1000 times better. I'm so thrilled with it.

The necks all flamey and birds-eyed. I steel-wooled the back where the play wear was and the finish was rough and smoothed it right out, and polished the frets.  Then polished and waxed the body and guard. The ash grain can not only be seen through the blonde, but can be felt. It's sunk into the wood.

I actually flirted with the idea of using this neck on my upcoming JM nomaster, but can't bear to split it up. It will be a good model, though, to use for the neck I ordered. And the blonde will be a good model for the Tele I'm refinishing. It's the perfect color I think of when I hear 'blonde'... not that white white Mary Kaye finish you see on the NOS.

I'll take new pics in the natural light tomorrow....
Last edited by fullerplast on Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:30 pm

You punk ass bitch!    :P

Man, that's a killer score.  If I got something like that I'd be selling it and my 61 JM to fund the purchase of a nice custom color example.  One day maybe...

J