Vox Student Prince: anyone played one?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Vox Student Prince: anyone played one?

Post by WonderCouncil » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Not that' I'm in the market for another guitar right now I am curious tho, if any one has any personal experience with the Vox Student Prince guitar.

For some reason I really love the non-cutaway acoustic guitar body shape. I have two solid bodies that are for all intents and purposes non-cutaway Les Pauls. I've been wanting to get into hollow or semi-hollow territory for a while now but keep putting it off as most of the ones I like are way out of my price range.

I've looked into the Epiphone Granada as well as the Gibson ES-125T both are pretty much what I'm looking for in terms of a hollow-body. Thin body, single coil/P90, non-cutaway, ect...

If money was not a concern the ES-125T 3/4 looks very tempting, but back to reality...

I've been on the hunt for a Ibanez Artcore AXF-74 which looks to be based on the ES-125T for a while and till am. But while on that hunt I've come across the Vox Student Prince model. The going rate on them seems pretty good, especially for a vintage guitar. So I'm wondering what the story is on them.

Looks to be your basic 3/4th body size, single coil neck pickup, volume/tone and thin-line body. Are these a diamond in the rough or more trouble then they are worth? I guess I'm just curious what others personal experiences are with this particular model

And just for fun some pictures!

Vox Student Prince...

And the Ibanez I spoke up...
Last edited by WonderCouncil on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vox Student Prince: anyone played one?

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:54 am

That Ibanez is pretty!

If you'd described it to me without pics I'd have thought it'd be awful.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Yea I've been on the hunt for one for some time now. From what I gather they were only made for a year and had a production number of something like under a thousand. No one really knows about them tho...and I believe the going rate is still at the $500 mark if not under it. I've have it saved as a search on eBay and I check C.L. a few times a week but still haven't seen one for sale. I do very much want one, but the Voz Student Prince looks pretty intriguing as well, and it has the whole "mojo" thing going for it. So I'm quite curious how they play/sound.

Here's one more picture of it. I have a few copies of the brochures and what not giving the specs on this particular model.
I just love the thin line style body, fully hollow, easy controls, awesome paint color, block inlays. With a couple of hilotons or HB sized P90's..or the Peavey super ferrite single coils... 8) it'd be a killer guitar.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:30 am

I actually had one of those ! I imported it myself from guitar shop in Toronto, bought it for about 400 CAD$ (mine was really clean example, apart from some finish cracking) .

I immediately fell in love with the shape and the sound of it - I had to have the bridge base reshaped a bit so it would match the top better, but other than that, it was pretty much usable at live situations from the moment I got it. Most amazing feature of it was the way it fed back - since it was thinline, fully hollow but still pretty small body-wise (it fits perfectly into les paul hardcase), I could control the feedback very accurately, almost like a sustainiac pickup, but in a more musical way :)

However I sold it after few months to a friend of mine, since I got chance to buy my dream acoustic (I finally talked the guy into selling it after few years) and needed cash quickly. He still has it and I am able to borrow it from time to time, so I totally consider this a happy ending :)

When I got it, I was planning to put dog ear p90 into bridge position, but my local luthier talked me out of it (luckily). I would love to have guitar like this again, but this time with wider fret nut (that's the only thing I dislike about many vintage italian guitars, they have too narrow nut width to my taste), two pickups and cutaway (however I could totally do without one, lol). I consider the idea of small thinline fully hollow guitar super cool because of the feedback control - I could never tame any other hollowbody guitar on stage like that.
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg