The Superstrat Thread!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Jazzerstang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Superstrat Thread!

Post by Jazzerstang » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:17 pm

aen wrote:I prefer the fender superstrat. It's a lot like a strat, but does away with the useless pickup, and has a trem that works, and a slightly more bassy sound. I made a sort of replica/stripped down version a while back:

They also have a shortscale version, but the pickups are more tradiitonal.
that's the ticket.

niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niksureal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:19 pm

this is mine:

7 strings is too much. not really. i play guitar in a metal band. its fun.

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:22 pm

niksureal wrote:this is mine:

7 strings is too much. not really. i play guitar in a metal band. its fun.
It's hard to tell who is joking or not here, and believe me, I have a giant post brewing up on this topic, but I think this is a good way to own this type of guitar. It's like you know that it sounds like it's supposed to sound, and that's the beginning and end of it's worth to you. It has a specific job, but it's not trying to grab attention by being neon green or overly pointy. I dig.

Oh yea, and I just saw the knobs. Sweet.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:39 pm

Let it be known, right here and right now, that I hold in my heart a special place for the superstrat. The guitar serves many purposes, most shrouded by a veil of spandex and hair, but when wielded properly, the superstrat can be a powerful tool!

When I hear "superstrat" I think not of this

But I think of this!

Actually, the next guitar I plan on buying is this one

And I am constantly leaning my personal builds toward the heavier sounds of such guitars (this jag started being built as a Jag CLONE, but is taking more and more steps to become a long-scale, large-radiused, GIANT fretted, humbucked, beefy machine)

I had "offset superstrat" in mind when I built the Simplestang (watch out for that thread; I'm getting ready to alter that guitar towards sweetness)
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:45 am

I have a 1989 Valley Arts Standard Pro. Early series, made in USA, pre the Samick takeover. EMG 85 and two singles (SA?), and a Floyd. Complete & original. It's nice to play, beautiful neck (25.5"- i think some were 24.75"), excellent scallops/ bevels on the body, really good fit & finish all over including under the pickguard, and nice unplugged tone, really resonant. Plugged in- :( I just couldn't find a tone that I liked. I boxed it up to list on Ebay a couple of years ago- thought it might be better than selling locally as they have a following in USA - had trouble with listing it from NZ, and then kind of forgot about it. So there it sits, neck off, all padded up in a reinforced box.
Watching the corners turn corners

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:30 am

My Cantrell inspired Squier 51... also inspired by Paul Gilberts axes

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:45 am

garyptaszek wrote:My Cantrell inspired Squier 51... also inspired by Paul Gilberts axes
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/ ... 6-1317.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did I ever mentionned I loved this kapow sticker? :D

bigsur78
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bigsur78 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:49 am

garyptaszek wrote:My Cantrell inspired Squier 51... also inspired by Paul Gilberts axes
This one I like... but can a Squier 51 really be considered a Superstrat?

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:57 am

Gordon wrote:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/ ... 6-1317.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did I ever mentionned I loved this kapow sticker? :D
Yeah man, the other day I realised that Robert Smith has one on one of his guitars! I was rather spooked by that!
bigsur78 wrote:
This one I like... but can a Squier 51 really be considered a Superstrat?
why not? if it had a hotrail in the neck (which I did have at one point) and a Floyd Rose (which I would never have) it would be a sweet Super Strat

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:30 am

I didn't like mine... so I mutilated it a little...

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:47 pm

garyptaszek wrote: Image
Now I want to build a guitar and "finish" it with stickers. I don't even OWN a stickers guitar; how was I able to post in the Punk Bands thread!?

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:45 am

I played an Ibanez 440SII (maghony body superstrat with 22 fret wizard neck and pointy headstock) from 1996 t'ill 2002, it was my main and only axe...That is until I stumbled upon Jazzmasters and Jaguars....
Kept the Ibanez aside until 2005 or so, then I dedcided it was time to get a new owner for it, so I sold it. Still think it was one of the best guitars I ever owned, it it wasn't for it's ultra thin schredder neck, I might of kept it. But they apear to be quiet rare beasts.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:10 am

andrewdoeshair wrote:
garyptaszek wrote: Image
Now I want to build a guitar and "finish" it with stickers. I don't even OWN a stickers guitar; how was I able to post in the Punk Bands thread!?
hang your head in SHAME! haha
Just take your time with the stickers, tell all your friends to find and donate random stickers from anything they can find! thats the best way to go

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:28 am

These things have been illegal in the UK since 1997, this was one of the only positive things that came out of my time working at Westminster where I worked on the Knife (and pointy guitars) act.

Sadly I failed to get a Stevie Via, Yngwie and Satriani banned from travelling here at the same time, though they are minority interest in the UK, on a parallel with dressing like a furry cartoon animal for sex kicks and the like.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

chrisrnps
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisrnps » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:51 pm

This was my second guitar, a mid-to-late 1980s Ibanez "Pro Line Series".

I loved the silver-on-silver and the pushbuttons that provided an alternate pickup selection (the three white buttons for the three pickups, one of the black buttons made whatever you had selected with the buttons override the five-position Strat-style lever), the coil tap (the other black button), the kill switch (select no pickups with the white buttons and press the black button just enough for it to make contact but not latch), and the neck/frets that didn't blow as hard as my first guitar (a "Memphis", also something of a superstrat - pointy headstock, strat/soloist body, two humbuckers, shitty workmanship and a neck/frets that I'd grow to loathe once I had another year of lessons under my belt), and binding!

If that's not embarrassing enough, consider that I was torn between begging Mom and Grandma for Christmas for either that, or that notched-contours Peavey signature model of one of the Whitesnake guys*, until seeing the music store owner's little kids throw the Peavey on the floor and drag it around the store like a sledge while the other one rode on it, standing on the strings and pickups, doing everything but yelling "mush!".

Uh oh.

Actual photographic evidence. :-[

Not only a Superstrat, but a Superstrat playing "industrial rock" about five years too late. :unsure:

And then there was this thing, but I dunno if a seven-string chug-chug stick counts as a superstrat... :blush:

And a 5150 cab!

And a rack!

And a MIDI floorboard controller!

Rawr! :derp:

With all the buttons and gadgety 'features' and chrome and that Schecter body shape, though, it's no wonder I ended up in Jaguar and Teisco land eventually. :D

* Oh gawd. This, only black. 'Cause pink would have been silly, y'know. I also had ripped/bleached jeans with spandex bike shorts underneath ('cause my junk woulda hung out the holes in the jeans without) and white high-top Reeboks at the time.

Also, I made my mommy take me to a Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson concert.
'Excellent! A little more practice will make you a regular whale. Now, if I may trouble you to unlace my back and front plates two holes more, I'll try that fascinating bend that you say is so easy. Won't Painted Jaguar be surprised!' ~ Rudyard Kipling