Stratocaster appreciation thread

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
floater
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Stratocaster appreciation thread

Post by floater » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:54 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
mijmog wrote:
floater wrote:
Hot dam.

That is the epitome of stunning.
Did you see the latest Norm's Guitar of the Day?

While Mr Clapton, Pearl Jam & SRV aren't top of my favourites list it was a lot of fun to watch. Looks like he was enjoying himself
Those Guitar of the Day videos are fun. Thanks for the link.

Offset Fenders don't get as much respect from the host, but they still feature Jaguars and Jazzmasters quite a bit.

white buffalo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by white buffalo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:49 am

So Strats were my first love, the affair lasted many years, but after being without one for several years (I went to Teles) and getting back into them with the below two beauties recently, I'm not sure they're 'me' anymore.
I definitely prefer Teles for the beefy sound and Jazzmasters for clean + warble sound, so where do Strats fit? Anyways, both are absolutely terrific specimens. I'd always wanted a GVCG guitar, but couldn't swing the cost back when they were super popular in the mid-2000's, selling for like 5-6k, so when this '57 Mary Kaye one popped up a month or so ago on Reverb I snagged it (a bit under $4k). Still not cheap, but I'm so glad I went for it as it's got the most amazing chunky neck profile, super resonant body (whole thing weighs 6.9lbs) and fat sounding pickups. Just a killer guitar, Jonathan does such amazing works, sucks he stopped building, though I love his music as much as his guitars so I'm happy. The other is a CS '60 reissue in matching headstock Sonic Blue, which shoots a lot like Surf Green at times.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:48 am

The Mary Kaye is stunning! :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:04 am

Maggieo wrote:The Mary Kaye is stunning!
+1,000,000 easily my favorite strat color.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:27 am

i love strats and this thread is filled with some really nice and high end ones. I have one to add which is neither of those things, but it's not a bad guitar at all!

I have not had a strat for some time, and i decided to act on a whim and buy the cheapest fender liscenced strat i could find. a squier bullet which i scored for $80. The main reason i got it was because it was my favorite colour (surf green/daphne blue mix). Plus there is something appealing about owning one of the cheapest guitars available and using somewhat seriously. I spent some time setting it up and swapping the pickguard. The dude i bought it from had a fake fender decal on which i sanded off. Honestly this thing plays really well. Tuners are really the worst part and i ordered some replacements. The body thickness isn't noticeable thinner than what i remember my old strats feeling like (although i am sure it's a bit thinner than standard). It's still thicker than my jag and my JM.

Logan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Logan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 pm

Here is my lowly strat... A Classic Series 60s Lacquer Matching Headstock FSR in Daphne Blue ;D
It's been heavily modded with Kluson Vintage Locking Tuners, Fender AVRI Tremolo, Porter Pickups 60s Stratocaster Pickups with the bridge pickup overwound slightly and a steel base plate added, Switchcraft Switch and Output Jack, and CTS 275k Pots with vintage cloth wire 8)
I'm in Marching Band and play Guitar. That's about it, pretty boring, isn't it?

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Here's my 2001 AVRI 62 in Inca Silver. The only strat I've ever loved.

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:26 am

Ugly as sin with the logo on the guard if you ask me, but that's not going to stop them going for insane money once they reach the resellers...

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:55 am

I don't think I have ever shown this ....

an absolute mint, still with body bag as it came from the factory, late 1973 sunburst strat with rosewood fretboard.

relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:45 am

That's beautiful. What's the story behind it? Has it been under a bed for 44 years?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:41 am

Hey gang,

I've started a FB page to convince Fender to make a Richard Lloyd signature Strat, based on his cool '61 Strat the he recorded Marquee Moon with, and a a bunch of other stuff. (Like Matthew Sweet's records.)

Here's a link, and I'd be in y'all's debt if y'all signed up.

https://www.facebook.com/richardlloydstrat/
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:32 pm

bdf83 wrote:That's beautiful. What's the story behind it? Has it been under a bed for 44 years?
I bought it in about 2004 from a guy he states who was a guitar trader and "bargain picker". He had bought it from an estate sale of a guy who just collected things... for the sake of collecting ... not just musical instruments. It was there in with a bunch of other items that were nothing to do with music.
I myself have not had the case opened for 6 or 7 years, I have played it a couple of times and the PUPs are sweet ... love those 71-73-ish strat PUPs.
The neck is great, perfect size comparable to modern neck size/shape and the finish has not aged at all...
Most likely my nephew will get it in the end as TBH I have enough other good/great strats that I do not need to molest this one just for the sake of a guitar fill in a recording
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:57 pm

sookwinder wrote:an absolute mint, still with body bag as it came from the factory, late 1973 sunburst strat...
christ almighty :wacko:

dezb1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dezb1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:03 am

sookwinder wrote:
bdf83 wrote:That's beautiful. What's the story behind it? Has it been under a bed for 44 years?
I bought it in about 2004 from a guy he states who was a guitar trader and "bargain picker". He had bought it from an estate sale of a guy who just collected things... for the sake of collecting ... not just musical instruments. It was there in with a bunch of other items that were nothing to do with music.
I myself have not had the case opened for 6 or 7 years, I have played it a couple of times and the PUPs are sweet ... love those 71-73-ish strat PUPs.
The neck is great, perfect size comparable to modern neck size/shape and the finish has not aged at all...
Most likely my nephew will get it in the end as TBH I have enough other good/great strats that I do not need to molest this one just for the sake of a guitar fill in a recording
That's lovely... but it's a shame it's not getting / has never been played. Kinda defeats the purpose of its existence.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:43 am

Oh dear, this is on its way to me at the moment.