Esquires

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
regimentle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Esquires

Post by regimentle » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:50 pm

Thinking I'm gonna pick up a Fender Esquire next.  Part of me wants to just go cheap and buy a Japanese RI of the custom double bound ones, but there is a dealer downtown that has a used '62 Custom Shop RI in shell pink that is beautiful for a pretty good price.

aen
Expat
Expat

Re: Esquires

Post by aen » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:53 pm

I really like those MIM reissues.  They feel great, but It'd never be my main guitar, i need neck pickup oomph available at all times.  That said, if i ever joined any country derivative band, i'd be all over it.
I prefer their older stuff.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:57 pm

I love, love, love, love, love my MIM 50s Classic Esquire.  It's an awesome hunk of git-fiddle.

Bob sez, "yo, check out my sweet plank!"

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:32 pm

Maggieo wrote: I love, love, love, love, love my MIM 50s Classic Esquire.  It's an awesome hunk of git-fiddle.

do you use the stock pickup?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:34 pm

burker wrote:
Maggieo wrote: I love, love, love, love, love my MIM 50s Classic Esquire.  It's an awesome hunk of git-fiddle.

do you use the stock pickup?
Yep.  Only the pickguard is different from stock.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:20 pm

Here's a couple of tunes where I used the Esquire:

A Darkened Room Remosterberged- B&Massa w/ Lust & Death

An Appointment- Maggie Osterberg

The first one is the Esquire through the Fuzz Factory and the second one is more or less clean.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:40 pm

what's the tonal difference between the esquire and tele on bridge pickup position? i hear there's more harmonics etc. because there's no neck pickup magnet sucking at the strings
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:47 pm

FireAarro:

Funny you mention that...this just came up:
http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/inde ... opic=15507

Regimentle - Tell us a little more about this pink Esquire!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:20 pm

FireAarro wrote: what's the tonal difference between the esquire and tele on bridge pickup position? i hear there's more harmonics etc. because there's no neck pickup magnet sucking at the strings
This question has produced page after page of argument and counter-argument on Telecaster sites for many years.

Some say yes, big difference, others say it's all in your head and they sound exactly alike. I'm agnostic on the question myself, but I like the three tones I can get with a flip of the switch, including the bassy far forward position. YMMV. 

I think Esquires are just badass.  Also, they look the business.

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:25 am

I owned a beautiful '62 Esquire, and it is one of the two guitars I regret selling.  Very versatile, a fantastic player and the tones out of that single pickup were amazing.  Definitely Fender's LP Junior as far as guitars that were vastly underrated for decades.

You can definitely dial in a number of useful sounds, and the tone control works magic on the three basic postitions as well.  There's a LOT going on there!

regimentle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by regimentle » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:23 am

The guitar I'm looking at is a '62 Closet Classic that was used but in fine shape.  I personally wouldn't mind if it was dinged up but it's one of those stores that approves of factory relic'd ware, but not natural abuse haha.  It's shell pink, slab board rosewood and I'm playing it for the first time tomorrow so I'll get back to yall then.