My first ever Partscaster build...

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
zhivago
Mods
Mods

My first ever Partscaster build...

Post by zhivago » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:10 am

I actually completed this one a while ago, but with the lockdown it hasn't been played much, as the nut needs an actual professional to sort out the slots. Today I had some spare time and thought I'd snap a photo in natural daylight.

It plays surprisingly ok, strung with 10s (9s felt like spaghetti to me!), with medium high-ish action and not much of a setup. It is a definite change of pace from my other guitars.

Compared to the Jazzmaster, it almost feels primitive, but in a very cool way. It has a huge neck, that I am not 100% in love with at the moment, but the sounds coming out are very nice, so I'll try and work with it. Effortless fretwork on the Musikraft neck. Only mishap I had was when I lined up the tuners to drill the holes...the low E moved, so it is a bit crooked. Ah well. :fp: :D I may fix that eventually.

Many thanks to our Rexter for spraying and lightly ageing the neck for me. :)

The body I bought already sprayed in nitro and aged.

The pickup is a Don Mare Tweed Kong that I ordered from the man himself, so it is fairly high output. It is wired as an Esquire with the Eldred mod.

I bought a pre-cut bone nut for it and sanded it down to an acceptable playing level, but the nut slots really need work that I just can't do at the moment. :unsure:

Anyway, here she is...a mid-late-50s white guard Esquire. :)

Would I do it again?

I don't actually I think that I would try again any time soon...not having a work space hampered me quite a bit, but overall it was fun to spec out a guitar, hunt down the parts and see it to completion. :)
Resident Spartan.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My first ever Partscaster build...

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:53 am

That's a gorgeous Esquire, Yannis.
I love the Esquire. Such a great tone can be had from that single pup.
Straight forward as it gets.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:07 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:53 am
That's a gorgeous Esquire, Yannis.
I love the Esquire. Such a great tone can be had from that single pup.
Straight forward as it gets.
Many thanks! 8)

It's actually really interesting..the difference between positions 2 and 3 (2 being pup > vol > tone >output and 3 being pup > vol > output ), is actually a lot greater than it sounded on YouTube clips that I listened to before committing to the single-pickup concept.

Position 3 is a flame-thrower of a setting, and since the pickup is quite hot, it doesn't take your head off with treble...once you use the pup > vol > output setting, returning to the more "standard" position 2 sounds bit dull. :freako:

The "cocked wah" Eldred setting is a bit "meh"...not bad, but nothing to write home about for me. Pup > vol > output is sooo much nicer. 8)
Resident Spartan.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:24 am

I just saw this on Facebook, but hooooly moly. That's beautiful! Really, really nice. How good are Musikraft necks, eh? Perfect craftsmanship. I hope you adjust to the thicker neck and get to enjoy this guitar a lot!

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:20 am

There is something deeply satisfying about the whole process of a guitar build, it’s a good exercise mentally and physically.
I inadvertently bought a fat neck for a partscaster JM and it didn’t take long to adjust, I find it’s a nice change of pace.
Nicely done!

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:05 am

zhivago wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:07 am
Many thanks! 8)

It's actually really interesting..the difference between positions 2 and 3 (2 being pup > vol > tone >output and 3 being pup > vol > output ), is actually a lot greater than it sounded on YouTube clips that I listened to before committing to the single-pickup concept.

Position 3 is a flame-thrower of a setting, and since the pickup is quite hot, it doesn't take your head off with treble...once you use the pup > vol > output setting, returning to the more "standard" position 2 sounds bit dull. :freako:

The "cocked wah" Eldred setting is a bit "meh"...not bad, but nothing to write home about for me. Pup > vol > output is sooo much nicer. 8)
Please excuse my ignorance, I've never heard about any of this.
What is position 1?

Great looking guitar btw!

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 am

Looks sharp!

Now you just need a Tonebender and a couple of Yardbird tunes in your toolbox.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:00 am

StevenO wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:24 am
I just saw this on Facebook, but hooooly moly. That's beautiful! Really, really nice. How good are Musikraft necks, eh? Perfect craftsmanship. I hope you adjust to the thicker neck and get to enjoy this guitar a lot!
I must say I am very impressed with the quality of Musikraft, the fret ends were pretty much perfect when I got it unfinished, just really, really nice. I think once I get the nut looked at the action lowered a bit more, the neck will not feel as big...let's see how we get on. :)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:03 am

gusgorman wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:05 am
zhivago wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:07 am
Many thanks! 8)

Please excuse my ignorance, I've never heard about any of this.
What is position 1?

Great looking guitar btw!
Hey no worries!

Standard Esquires had the usual three position Tele switch.

So position 1, the closest the switch is to the neck side of the guitar, was a bass muffled sound. This Eldred mod uses a cap to give it a "cocked wah" feel instead, which is more useable for modern playing.

The middle position (2) and the one closest to the tail end of the guitar (3), are wired as a normal Esquire, so pup > vol > tone > output....and then pup > vol > output.

8)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:04 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 am
Looks sharp!

Now you just need a Tonebender and a couple of Yardbird tunes in your toolbox.
Funilly enough I was on the Macaris website earlier looking at very expensive Tonebenders!!! :D 8)
Resident Spartan.

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:10 pm

zhivago wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:03 am

Hey no worries!

Standard Esquires had the usual three position Tele switch.

So position 1, the closest the switch is to the neck side of the guitar, was a bass muffled sound. This Eldred mod uses a cap to give it a "cocked wah" feel instead, which is more useable for modern playing.

The middle position (2) and the one closest to the tail end of the guitar (3), are wired as a normal Esquire, so pup > vol > tone > output....and then pup > vol > output.

8)
Cool, thanks!

Kinda like the idea of the "cocked wah" position.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 060267 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:38 pm

What kind of body is it? Looks nice
Just another opinion

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:40 pm

Great guitar. I like your use of the word “primitive”. That’s exactly what Teles/Esquires are, in a great way. Primitive perfection!

J.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:39 pm

060267 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:38 pm
What kind of body is it? Looks nice
It is Ash...nitro finished and lightly aged from a maker in the UK, I think...I bought it some time last year, so can't remember exactly what the make was. :)
Resident Spartan.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:21 am

Looks stellar! Nicely done!

I too used a fat neck on a tele partscaster I did a couple of years ago, and I think I am going to shave it some so it's a bit more thin and comfy for my hands. As it turns out, I like more of a medium-sized neck, rather than very fat or very thin. ;D