Damn...I'm starting to love the strat....

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Damn...I'm starting to love the strat....

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:59 pm

It took me a while to really appreciate a good Strat. I bought more than a few over the years but kept selling them off. I finally clicked with a Fender American Vintage '65 Strat in shoreline gold and had my tech mod it to allow for bridge & neck pickups together and all three pickups at once. I'm a sucker for a Fender Duo-Sonic's middle position tone and this mod gets me there for my Strat. Some might say, well, isn't that just the Strat's middle pickup on it's own? To me, the middle pickup is a bit more mid-rangey/harsher than the bridge & neck pickups together. Of course, I also enjoy the in-between pickup positions for that Strat quack as well.

Like my Teles, I prefer to have one with a rosewood fretboard and one with a maple neck on my Strats. I bought a loaded Fender 50's Vintera Strat Modified body in daphne blue and paired it up with a Fender Licensed Chunky Tinted Maple Nitro Strat neck from The STRATosphere. The Fender 50's Vintera Strat Modified has the mod allowing for bridge & neck pickups together. I am very likely to upgrade the stock pickups to Fender Pure Vintage '59 pickups at some point. I had them in a Strat I had to sell recently and I really, really loved those pickups.

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:35 am

I cared not for Strats (so boring!) until I found this '99 Indonesian Squier at Goodwill for less than $10 out the door. Started to sand it with the intention of staining it, but kinda dug the vibe.

I have to say, it plays beautifully and stays in tune like a champ. The mini humbucker in the bridge position is the stuff of dreams.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:27 am

daemon wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:35 am
I cared not for Strats (so boring!) until I found this '99 Indonesian Squier at Goodwill for less than $10 out the door. Started to sand it with the intention of staining it, but kinda dug the vibe.

I have to say, it plays beautifully and stays in tune like a champ. The mini humbucker in the bridge position is the stuff of dreams.
That looks really cool, like one of Adrian Belew's modded Mustangs from his King Crimson era.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:44 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:27 am
That looks really cool, like one of Adrian Belew's modded Mustangs from his King Crimson era.
That's actually what made me decide to just stop. I'm a big Belew/Crimson fan so it seemed right.