I need help finding a case for my hollowbody bass

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I need help finding a case for my hollowbody bass

Post by wproffitt » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:30 pm

Help me, OSG. You’re my only hope!
I’m looking for a case (hard shell or gig bag) for my recently acquired Yamaha SA-70. So, the idea is a short-scale version of a ES-335 bass, but with a mute over the fully floating bridge that takes the depth of this thinline bass up to over 4.33 inches at the center. Any thoughts on something for this?

mortron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I need help finding a case for my hollowbody bass

Post by mortron » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:37 am

Gigs and hard cases are an anomaly to me. I have had hard cases with acoustics lose headatocks, while $100 Nylon String Acoustic in a gig bag survived two months in Southeast Asia... should have been the other way around.

It's a crap shoot. I have a Bronco Bass that is 30" scale and rides in a gig bag. The only thing floppier than my E string is the top 6" of the gig bag.. it's like a big uh .. rabbit ear. If the bass was one I valued, I'd get a hard case.

If you value your guitar, get a well fitted hard case. Try before you buy if possible. Not to say gig bags can't work, but if I'm gigging or doing anything where accidents can happen, I lose that sense of security.

I have a 36" custom bass that is in a damned gig bag because finding a hard case that worked isn't going well. My last job we had a guy who built gun cases come in and express interest in making me a case... But nothing came of it.

I took my resonator down to the local store to try out as many cases as I could find that might fit and ended up with a case I'm content with. The only compromise is that I use a folded cotton cloth to boost and support the body some as it wasn't as thick as the type the case was designed for. It's an archtop case but a common solution to guitars like mine I suppose. There resonator case came from the same company who makes cases for Martin, and they (TKL I believe) seem to be good pieces.

If you contact a manufacturer online, they may have something they can recomment or be willing to maybe modify one to suit?

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Thanks for that, Mortron. I sent emails to SKB and TKL today. Mono and Gator didn’t seem to have anything for me, but perhaps TKL or the other one can recommend something or tell me how to retrofit one of their offerings to work for me.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:39 pm

I recently bought the factory case for my older Ibanez acoustic bass, and the case that it was in before isn’t being used anymore.

I have no idea what brand of case it is. It’s older, ~15 or 20 years old. The outside tolex and hardware has seen some action, but it’s very sturdy and the inside is very plush (gray).

If you think that could work for you, let me know and I could take some pics and email them to you, maybe measure it, to see if it would work for you and if you’d be interested in buying it.

Edit: this is the same bass that was in it, to give you a rough idea if it might be similar enough to yours:
https://reverb.com/item/25663258-ibanez ... ss-natural
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.