Gibson Original Series Acoustics

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Gibson Original Series Acoustics

Post by wproffitt » Wed May 27, 2020 6:07 pm

So,
Anyone have any experience with these yet? I saw the 60s J-45 in the cherry finish and was intrigued! I’m also curious about the LG-2, which I think has a really nice mid-focused sound. All opinions are welcome. I just love the aesthetics, neck profiles, etc.

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCJ5F91 ... inal/Ebony

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: Gibson Original Series Acoustics

Post by sookwinder » Thu May 28, 2020 3:15 am

Interesting.
I like the fact that they have the adjustable saddle.
Do we know if the saddle is the ceramic type (as per original 60s) or has Gibson cheaped out and are using the crappy TUSQ replacement saddles that fit these which "suck tone".

The J45 looks good and if it does have the crappy TUSQ saddle, you can get great replacement bone saddles that fit the adjustable saddle set up that have been machined in japan and cost about $20.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 28, 2020 5:03 am

The "50's J-50" says the adjustable saddle is bone.

They've done some of these for a while, the 60's J-45 is something I looked at, but wanted the wider nut width that the Standard gave me instead.

I'm sure these are all excellent guitars.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 am

I am a little skeptical to think that those adjustable saddles are bone, though. It would sure take a lot more effort to make them out of bone than either the plastic that Tusq pretends it isn't or ceramic.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu May 28, 2020 6:34 pm

I checked the "fine print" on the Gibson site and it says TUSQ saddle for the 60s J45.

Anyone buying this model should then purchase one of these … a bone adjustable saddle (they are superb):
https://reverb.com/item/23089355-replac ... ic-guitars
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 28, 2020 7:17 pm

I certainly have wanted one of those LG-2 American Eagles they put out a while back.

And I guess I do own a Dove Original, but they were just calling it a Dove when it was made. There were no other Dove models.

Anyway, to get back to what I was maybe talking about, the only thing about that 60's model that would throw me off (and did) was the 1.69" wide nut. That puts it more into what an electric guitar would be, Gibson nuts on the electric side are usually around there.

I just checked the current Firebird specs and they list it as 1.69" also:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USA5KL895 ... acco-Burst

Which maybe is something you would like, maybe not. Personal choice. But I tend to like a 1.75" nut, which most of my Gibson acoustics are actually closer to rather than the 1.725" that modern Gibson acoustics advertise themselves as being. Go figure.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Fri May 29, 2020 6:46 pm

Larry,
There’s also the 50s version of the same guitar. It has the 1.75”-ish spacing at the nut that I may prefer. So much of this depends on other variables, like neck shape, fretboard radius, etc.

Sookwinder,
Given the number of corian guitar nuts I’ve had to replace with bone, I’m not surprised that this would be the case with the bridge on these thanks for passing that link along.

I just need to get out and play a bunch of these back to back (and maybe a Waterloo...and a Martin CEO-7🙂) back to back to figure out what I really like best. This global pandemic is really cramping my style!