ngd - 80s mij floyd-equipped strat

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

ngd - 80s mij floyd-equipped strat

Post by postchrist » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:49 pm

i know just about nothing about this guitar. it came home with me roughly an hour ago - grabbed it off the local marketplace from a super nice guy for 450usd and having recently been lusting after just about any floyd-equipped guitar(i really can’t explain the why of it) i figured i’d go for it. turns out he lives four blocks away! and i was happily surprised when i arrived to find that it was not black, but some sort of metallic green/black/grey. it’s gorgeous(not something i usually feel about strats), came with lollars installed and the original pickups in the case(it came with a case! :D ).

will have to look into specs. the fretboard is a bit flatter than i’d usually like(on first play at least?), but roughly akin to most superstrat types. tuning it takes ages and with new strings it’s going out pretty fast but these are all things i kinda figured i should expect. :P the floyd is incredibly sensitive, hard to use tastefully but the range will be very cool every now and then i’m sure, and the nick zinner tactic of using the palm and no arm seems to work nicely.

all in all, really enjoying this one so far. will take better pictures in daylight soon, but for now!

lying dog-faced pony soldier.

stilwel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ngd - 80s mij floyd-equipped strat

Post by stilwel » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:11 pm

Looks great! $450 seems like a killer deal, even before he threw in the Lollars. The Japanese Fenders are very highly regarded.

I’m not a big Floyd guy but as long as it plays well it looks like you did very well. I dig that color!

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:55 am

Cool Color!

I think the strap matches great :)
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:17 am

That's a great guitar. My father in law has something similar. It plays wonderfully, as you've no doubt already discovered for yourself.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:02 pm

isn't this the same kind that nick from the yeah yeah yeah's used?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:49 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:02 pm
isn't this the same kind that nick from the yeah yeah yeah's used?
very similar! i’m a huge yeah yeah yeah’s fan and that definitely played a bit of a part in reassessing my general hatred of strats :D his is the one with the fender floyd-alike, mine is a schaller... hard to find much info on these it seems.

thanks all! it plays incredibly well, pretty inspiring right off the bat. floyds are funky!

turns out they’re not lollars, but fralins - vintage hot strat set. sound absolutely lovely.
lying dog-faced pony soldier.