NGD: What is wrong with me?!? (Ibanez Shredder Content)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: What is wrong with me?!? (Ibanez Shredder Content)

Post by hexes » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:19 am

congrats! I have owned THREE shred ibanezes and loved the wizard necks. I joined a space rock band and they were great for noodling and playing fast. two ibanez RGs, and a satriani signature.

To this day i still want a 7 string shred guitar, as unwholesome as they are.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:53 am

somanytoys wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:49 pm
Congratulations!

One of my guitars is kind of the precursor to a lot of those later shredder guitars - an ‘84 polar white Roadstar II RS 525. It doesn’t have a Floyd, but Ibanez’s version of it, with the fine tuners on the bridge & locking nut. It doesn’t do the Floyd floating ”wobble”, at least not the way I had it set up, but it will dive or rise, and very rarely goes out of tune because of it. <...>
Edit: found a link on Reverb to one:
https://reverb.com/item/23449698-ibanez ... hite-w-hsc
That's beautiful. I love the headstock, reminds me of a Starcaster.
LVC wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:42 pm
https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/EX370

Yours is a 1991 model judging by the Floyd version on it.
Correct! After a bunch of research I ended up on that same page.
mackerelmint wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:41 pm
:D

Man, nice score. Seriously. We all hope to find such a deal, most of us don't.
I know, I go into thrift stores with zero expectations, which makes it especially nice when I get to walk out with something like that. It's super rare, but I'm there probably 2-3 times a week (until recently, anyway) so the odds are good that eventually something will pop up.
sessylU wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:15 am
Nice. I have an '87 RG440, which I like a lot.

I love Floyd Roses and I like flat fingerboards too (sometimes, I basically end up liking anything that isn't the "normal" way of doing something). I think that both these things would be a lot more appealing on different body shapes.
I love metal, but never felt emotionally attached to these like I was with the Jazzmaster. Maybe on some level I didn't think I was worthy of something like that, being an average player with no pick-sweep abilities, but it really doesn't matter.
hexes wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:19 am
congrats! I have owned THREE shred ibanezes and loved the wizard necks. I joined a space rock band and they were great for noodling and playing fast. two ibanez RGs, and a satriani signature.

Thanks! Now that I don't think I could ever wrap my head around. I can't really think of a time that I was playing and just really wish I had that extra string.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:34 am

daemon wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:53 am
That's beautiful. I love the headstock, reminds me of a Starcaster.

I love metal, but never felt emotionally attached to these like I was with the Jazzmaster. Maybe on some level I didn't think I was worthy of something like that, being an average player with no pick-sweep abilities, but it really doesn't matter.
hexes wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks! Now that I don't think I could ever wrap my head around. I can't really think of a time that I was playing and just really wish I had that extra string.
I fell in love with these when I was young, when I bought one of the bass versions. I love the designs.

I also grew up in the thick of the of the shred guitar boom, everyone had a Charvel, Jackson, ESP, etc., and the look just wore on me over time. And it seems like non-stop sweep picking and irritating Yngwie licks are the first thing I think of when I see some of them. Some are just flat out cool, though.

That’s funny, I started out playing bass, learned to play guitar on the side, and got a couple of 5 string basses about 20 years ago, and adjusted to that. But I see no interest in moving to a 7 string guitar for myself. Not knocking it at all, just not something I see myself doing.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:38 am

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:34 am

That’s funny, I started out playing bass, learned to play guitar on the side, and got a couple of 5 string basses about 20 years ago, and adjusted to that. But I see no interest in moving to a 7 string guitar for myself. Not knocking it at all, just not something I see myself doing.
i totally get it. they're not pretty, nor do they sound good clean, typically.

what i REALLY want is a 7 string surf guitar. I don't have any interest in playing shred style music and never did. I love baritone guitars for twangy reverb, but I also play a lot of chords high on a standard tuned neck.

having the range would be awesome in one guitar.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:30 pm

Honestly, I haven’t even seen many, except for pictures of the Steve Vai Jem models. I’ve seen some truly ugly guitars and basses, but with the right person playing them, they can get less ugly really quickly.

If I’m not mistaken, I think a 5 string bass is similar, without the 2 higher strings, so I could probably adapt kind of easily to it, except maybe for the string spacing. But I can fully appreciate what it has to offer.

And I think that anything that you can use to your advantage, with your style and abilities, is the way to do it.
-David

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:11 pm

I had a lend of a 7-string Ibanez RG for about a year and a half when I was a teenager. I loved it, it was great fun, but the shape wasn't for me and it was pretty metal. I'd love a 7-string, but again, I would want a different shape.

I dream of a 7-string Jazzmaster.
a total idiot jackass

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:08 pm

sessylU wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:11 pm
I dream of a 7-string Jazzmaster.
oh, me too. if I still played in a band i'd have made one sans vibrato. when squier made a bass vi i bought it immediately and it helps tame the itch, but not quite. i've modded/strung mine B-b.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:49 am

Nope, I want it done properly. With the tremolo.

I think this might be part of the reason I want it, because it's impossible.
a total idiot jackass

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:30 am

Haha! That’s pretty funny.

“No, I don’t want your stupid pony, I want a unicorn...”

I imagine there’s a way to do it, even if it has some inherent “quirks”, but will anybody build it? If there were a market, I bet someone, somewhere would, like the rise in aluminum guitars that are being made. But they wouldn’t be cheap, you can bet on that.
-David

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:00 am

Unicorn is exactly right. That's exactly what it is. Like, I have no real attachment to the jag/jazz trem otherwise. I have never owned a guitar with one. I might hate them for all I know. I love (really love) strat trems, and their variations (floyd roses, wilkinsons etc). They've always done exactly what I want a trem to do.

But that's not what's important here.
a total idiot jackass

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:55 pm

Create art, not content

Acidhouse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Acidhouse » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:58 am

I started playing in the days when pointy guitars were all the rage. My first guitar was a Squier HM3 which is an Ibanez Sabre knock off. I've owned two RG570s and I currently own a RG440 Deluxe and a Fender HM. I don't really love shredders anymore but every once in a while, when I'm in the mood, I force myself into the spandex, pull out the Aquanet and have a go.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 am

Aquanet ftw!
-David