Squier telecaster special

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Squier telecaster special

Post by MKR » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:14 am

I sold a fender strat recently an i was in the market for a "beater" guitar. something that would sound good, but i would not be worried about and not have to baby when it's out of the house.

Enter the squier VM telecaster special

I always thought this was a cool model. Every now and then Squier seems to hit one out of the park with models like the mascis, the CV duo sonics, the CV 50s teles, the cabronitas, etc. and i think this is one of these interesting squier releases.

This one plays REALLY nicely. I got the action down quite low and the sounds out of the stock pickups are really nice. The combo of pickups is great. I can't really fault these duncan designed pickups. They sound nicer than stock mexican standards to my ear (no knock on the MIM standards - i love those guitars).

I'm gonna pick up a cheap bigsby i think to really make it a jack of all trades, but for now i can enjoy it as is.

(edit: i remembered i took this pic with the high E out of it's place in the saddle so it looks like it's too far over. oops. its aligned perfectly now)

paulnewman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier telecaster special

Post by paulnewman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:12 am

That thing is rad! I don't remember seeing these when they came out.

How does the neck on it compare with a JMJM? It looks like these came out around the same time and both were made in Indonesia, so maybe they're similar? I loved the neck on my JMJM.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:50 am

paulnewman wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:12 am
That thing is rad! I don't remember seeing these when they came out.

How does the neck on it compare with a JMJM? It looks like these came out around the same time and both were made in Indonesia, so maybe they're similar? I loved the neck on my JMJM.
thanks dude.

neck is nice. It's on the thinner side i think. thinner than my mexican tele. also i think the JMJMs were made in china at least the old ones were. the one negative i can find with this is the neck pocket isn't a great fit with the neck, but overall it plays really nice so i can't complain.

mulesing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mulesing » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 am

I totally forgot this one existed, they are super cool!

I wish they had done like a jazzmaster bridge/trem on it to differentiate it a bit more. I like these kind of concepts where it could be the result of just leftover parts in a warehouse haha.