NGD...Zhivago's adventures in The Land of PAFs...

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: NGD...Zhivago's adventures in The Land of PAFs...

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:30 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:07 pm
Maggieo wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:43 pm

He's a master at it, too! I totally stole that trick. Or I'd like to think I did! :D
That man is a master at everything he does (IMHO)!! He can get so much out of so little. I just listen and wonder how he can command so many techniques seemingly effortlessly while playing what is some really complicated stuff. There are some videos I've found of his trio with Nels that are really great.
I got to see them play live in Oaland, CA last summer. They were amazing! Nels was reading off charts; but you'd never know it, the two of them just locked into each other.

Oh, and I sat next to Jim's mom, and she's so cool and sweet!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:33 am

StevenO wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:15 pm
Pete Townshend does the neck vibrato with his Sg all over Live at Leeds when he plays clean passages. It's a feature, not a bug!
Yeah ... it's just really disconcerting Steven! I actually sold that old SG Special because I was convinced I'd eventually break the neck at the heel.

Since then I've realised the obvious - that if a guitar has lasted intact since the 1960s and shows obvious signs of having been played ... it's more than likely going to stand up to some gentle pressure when changing position in a seat while playing!

What I find interesting is how my old '62 ES345 had zero neck flexibility - it was rock solid - while the '64, despite having a thicker neck, can be easily bent out of tune unless you're conscious of what you're doing. Logic would suggest that the thicker neck would be less prone, but no. Both have rock solid tenon connections ... so it's not a structural weakness in the '64 ... just different wood I guess.

I've gotten used to it now - it's just something I need to remember when playing to make sure that I'm not accidentally pulling/pushing the neck out of tune.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:35 am

Oh, don't get me wrong... I'd feel the same way. Those neck heels aren't exactly strong... That's the weak point. But on a bolt on? Oh baby!