What do we think of the Gibson L-00?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

What do we think of the Gibson L-00?

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:51 am

The modern Standards, I mean- I have no interest in a vintage guitar from the 30's:

I guess I probably don't need this to be an "all arounder," I have plenty of other acoustics. This could be for finger style playing which I love, although I don't find my other guitars all that lacking in that.

I would prefer a 12 fret model, but those are kind of rare. Anybody have one of these? Anybody like them?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What do we think of the Gibson L-00?

Post by mediocreplayer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:46 am

We think that it is a seriously beautiful guitar that sounds like shit.

At least that's what I think.

"with a full J-45 sound"? Maybe they build them differently now, but any of the ones I have played, from the Keb Mo to the plain L-00 to the Century were blooz guitars that sounded like cardboard for playing boring music on.

Go fingerpick your existing guitars.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:47 am

That corresponds with some of my thinking, thanks for the advice.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:13 am

I haven’t checked the prices on these for comparison, but I’d guess the Martin CEO7 or Waterloo W-14 style guitars might pack more punch for the money. They both sound interesting and beautiful to me.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:34 am

The Martin CEO-7 is a great guitar, no question. That being said, though, it has their "V" neck profile which doesn't usually work for me. Or so I think... anyway, I'm a little leery of it.

I might actually make a trade for the L-00. I have a guitar that I've been shopping for a trade with, and yesterday someone asked me to send some sound clips. An hour later, I couldn't dial in a good sound with it at all- it's probably my fault, but there you have it. So I'm making a trade of some kind and while I'd prefer the other guitar (a maple J-100) I'll trade for the L-00 and if I don't like that, I'll trade it on. Only one way to really find out of I like it or what, and if not, it'll be a good pawn.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:42 am

I have an L-00 style acoustic built by BC luthier David Webber, and it is my most treasured guitar.

There's nothing it can't do. It was born for fingerstyle, but even with strumming, it's just so perfectly balanced. I don't do any unamplified bluegrass groups or anything where you need a cannon, and for recording, I have recently learned to appreciate smaller-bodied guitars. They just respond so quickly to your playing, and what they "lack" in the extreme low-end just gets filtered out in guitar recordings anyway.

I can't speak for the current Gibson production, but the design? It's capable of a crazy-good instrument.

Also, I may have said this before, but check out Halcyon Guitars in BC. The luthier is an ex-Larrivee employee who struck out on his own, and he is building incredible guitars at a crazy price point. I had one of his OMs and it cost something like $900 at the time, but blew away anything this side of a Martin Authentic series.

It involves a little more risk, but if you make the jump to an affordable small shop luthier like Halcyon, you'll swear off factory guitars forever.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:52 am

Yeah, I have no doubt that's good advice, but I'm not likely to take it this time. Whether it's fair or unfair, I can move a Gibson much faster than I can a handmade guitar from an obscure luthier who used to work for Larriveé. I have reason to suspect that I'll be needing to put a couple things up shortly, so brand recognition will be important to me at this time.

And anyway, I am discovering that I just love Gibson acoustics. I had always eschewed them my whole life and was told that they weren't very good, and now I realize how wrong I was and am making up for lost time. They might not all stay around, but I find I am very happy with the Gibson acoustics I have (five at the moment) and am kind of going through the lineup.

Good to hear on that body style working out for you, though. I'll probably make the trade- well, I know I'll be making one trade of the other.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:33 am

I considered it, but I'm so very glad I went with my 12-fret Waterloo.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:52 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:52 am
Yeah, I have no doubt that's good advice, but I'm not likely to take it this time. Whether it's fair or unfair, I can move a Gibson much faster than I can a handmade guitar from an obscure luthier who used to work for Larriveé. I have reason to suspect that I'll be needing to put a couple things up shortly, so brand recognition will be important to me at this time.

And anyway, I am discovering that I just love Gibson acoustics. I had always eschewed them my whole life and was told that they weren't very good, and now I realize how wrong I was and am making up for lost time. They might not all stay around, but I find I am very happy with the Gibson acoustics I have (five at the moment) and am kind of going through the lineup.

Good to hear on that body style working out for you, though. I'll probably make the trade- well, I know I'll be making one trade of the other.
Yeah, I know it's not the kind of advice you're going to take, haha. But someday you should! When I switched to good, handmade guitars (at no higher prices than I was paying for factory ones), I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:55 am

I will say that I would go for a 12 fret if I had a choice. I liked that Martin 00-17s that I had, to a degree, anyway. Anyway it showed me that the 12 fret guitar was as good as anything.

I thought the build quality was a little suspect, I am reading that Martin is putting the necks on at too shallow an angle these days at least on some guitars, so I had to lower the saddle down to almost nothing on that and still couldn't get the action quite where I wanted it. At the time I thought it was just my guitar but I'm reading a good amount of complaints about that situation and Martin, so it must be somewhat widespread.

But anyway I liked the sound of it pretty well. And I liked the small guitar thing pretty well, not enough to really stick with it, though. Turns out I'm pretty versatile and do well with the Gibson Super Jumbo shape and everything on down.

So, I'll make a trade for the L-00 or the J-100 this weekend. Quite a disparity there! I'm hoping for the J-100 but I'll go either direction.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:03 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:52 am

Yeah, I know it's not the kind of advice you're going to take, haha. But someday you should! When I switched to good, handmade guitars (at no higher prices than I was paying for factory ones), I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.
Actually, my brand loyalty to the big names in guitar making surprises even me. I'm not usually like this with most things.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:03 am
mbene085 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:52 am

Actually, my brand loyalty to the big names in guitar making surprises even me. I'm not usually like this with most things.
I get it. I'm 100% into bespoke acoustic instruments, but every single one of my electric guitars is Fender-designed (e.g. my two G&Ls), Fender-manufactured, pieced together from Fender-spec parts, or FMIC-owned/affiliated (my Japanese Gretsch).

I don't even have a good reason for it. There are so many amazing electric guitar builders out there. So it would be the kettle calling the pot black if I were to criticize your current Gibson acoustic binge!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:07 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:55 am
So, I'll make a trade for the L-00 or the J-100 this weekend. Quite a disparity there! I'm hoping for the J-100 but I'll go either direction.
Larry! Don't!

You want a Waterloo WL-12. Seriously.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Well, it's a trade, so I'm only going to pick from those two guitars. If I don't like what comes, then I'll consider a Waterloo at some point, I promise.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:21 pm

OK. :'(