What do we think of the Gibson L-00?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What do we think of the Gibson L-00?

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:28 am

No, it's a 2016 model that I traded for. This is the second 2016 Gibson I have, and Gibson had made some kind of effort to address the perception that they were putting out inconsistent guitars that year by listing up a bunch of largely cosmetic changes that were to let people know they were really focused on quality. They talked about rounding the fingerboard edges, and using a deeper penetrating oil on the fingerboard, and a finer grit sandpaper on the finish.

I think they also put in higher grade LR Baggs electronics but I think all that stuff sounds so bad I can't even tell you what it's supposed to be.

So, it always seemed like a pretty bizarre list, like you're gonna go, wow! Finer grit sandpaper! But I took it as Gibson caring a little more and the guitars are duly excellent.

But, at this point I have six Gibson Montana guitars and have nothing but good things to say about all of them.

No idea about how the guitar opened up while I was playing it... the guy I traded with might have given up on the instrument and it might have just been sitting for a while. It also could all have been in my head.

I can get a touch of buyer's remorse with these guitars for a little bit, I'm a huge Gibson fanboy, but even I get leery of the perceived lack of quality and can by hypervigilant. Maybe that's what was happening. I think it sounds great now, regardless.

I'll say this- the guy I traded with has a Martin HD-28. He talked about how great this Gibson played compared to that, and we talked about it for a while, and it turns out he had the same issue that made me sell my Martin 00-17s on: the neck is put in at too shallow an angle and so you have to lower the saddle almost all the way down to get anything close to being "good action" and of course you are much sooner towards needing a neck reset than you should be with a brand new instrument. I am reading that Martin is doing this with some frequency these days.

This isn't me saying Martin sucks, Gibsons rule! or anything like that, just something for people to be aware of.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:36 am

I'll also go ahead and make this my official NGD thread with glamour shots:

Cool Waverly tuners I am going to be selling shortly:

Yay fun Gibson!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:26 am

Contrasts!

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:32 pm

The guitar looks gorgeous. Congrats! I say it will be out of the Larry Ray Vaughan collection before April. We'll see ;)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:03 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:32 pm
The guitar looks gorgeous. Congrats! I say it will be out of the Larry Ray Vaughan collection before April. We'll see ;)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's a good looking guitar, Larry!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:24 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:32 pm
Are you saying that because you think I'll grow to dislike it, or have I acquired a reputation for flipping guitars around here? I usually view myself as more of an accumulator more than anything else... I hate to trade them, really.

But, you never know, I guess! I might learn to not love it by that April, then again it might not matter how I feel about it. We are looking to buy a house in spring so I might have to make some ugly choices.