I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
User avatar
DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by DesmondWafers » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:09 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:24 pm


But not before I installed a fleshlight in said Chibson so it could keep him company in my absence.
Seems redundant as a guy like that would be fine with the input jack.

User avatar
wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by wooderson » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:25 am

That Reddit thread is another in the long line of relationship fiction. Not quite trolling but like a D- creative writing student working on material.

The store mislabeled a Chibson as a real deal vintage Black Beauty but at a selling price of 10% of its value, then desperately tried to call him (he didn't notice voicemails or missed calls?) to rectify the situation, he has no money, a credit score in the pits with outstanding judgements at the age of 22 but happens to have a credit card with $10k limit.

User avatar
601210
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:55 am

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by 601210 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:57 am

wooderson wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:25 am
That Reddit thread is another in the long line of relationship fiction. Not quite trolling but like a D- creative writing student working on material.

The store mislabeled a Chibson as a real deal vintage Black Beauty but at a selling price of 10% of its value, then desperately tried to call him (he didn't notice voicemails or missed calls?) to rectify the situation, he has no money, a credit score in the pits with outstanding judgements at the age of 22 but happens to have a credit card with $10k limit.
One of my favourite comments was something like "This can't be real, nobody can be this dumb and still be able to convince someone to marry them."

User avatar
Tehz_
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:58 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by Tehz_ » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:51 am
Sure, I could see that... my Les Paul Studio is a good guitar and all, but it's heavy as can be, and wants to drag right off my lap all the time- my belief is that it's not weight relieved at all. Like I say, it's got a very thick neck on it.

That being said, it's a well constructed guitar and the pickups sound great on it. They often get a bad rap, but I think they are wonderful, as good as any of the more classic/vintage type PAF pickups.

That being said, I'm not all that committed to the model, and that one is probably all the Les Paul I'll ever need. I would like a Standard, and a Deluxe, but not enough to really get one I guess.
As much as I would love either a Standard or a Deluxe (or godforbid, a Custom), the Studio checks all of the “essential” boxes for me, as far as LP characteristics are concerned. Every early 90’s Studio I’ve played (the ones with ebony boards) has nearly left the store with me right then and there. I even played a ‘96 with a rosewood board that was very close to the same level.

And when you can get one of these Studios in good shape for under a grand? Even on the used market, the higher-end models are wildly overpriced, if you ask me. Am I really gonna pay twice that just for binding?

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 9604
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by Maggieo » Thu May 09, 2019 7:25 am

Tehz_ wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:29 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:51 am
Sure, I could see that... my Les Paul Studio is a good guitar and all, but it's heavy as can be, and wants to drag right off my lap all the time- my belief is that it's not weight relieved at all. Like I say, it's got a very thick neck on it.

That being said, it's a well constructed guitar and the pickups sound great on it. They often get a bad rap, but I think they are wonderful, as good as any of the more classic/vintage type PAF pickups.

That being said, I'm not all that committed to the model, and that one is probably all the Les Paul I'll ever need. I would like a Standard, and a Deluxe, but not enough to really get one I guess.
As much as I would love either a Standard or a Deluxe (or godforbid, a Custom), the Studio checks all of the “essential” boxes for me, as far as LP characteristics are concerned. Every early 90’s Studio I’ve played (the ones with ebony boards) has nearly left the store with me right then and there. I even played a ‘96 with a rosewood board that was very close to the same level.

And when you can get one of these Studios in good shape for under a grand? Even on the used market, the higher-end models are wildly overpriced, if you ask me. Am I really gonna pay twice that just for binding?
You know, that suddenly made loads and loads of sense to me... :ph34r:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 12150
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 am

Why not get a nice Studio? If you go wild for it, then it's time to think about jumping up to the Standard or what have you. I got a nice Studio for my father in law for $600, and it's a great guitar for the money.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 9604
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by Maggieo » Thu May 09, 2019 8:22 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 am
Why not get a nice Studio? If you go wild for it, then it's time to think about jumping up to the Standard or what have you. I got a nice Studio for my father in law for $600, and it's a great guitar for the money.
Keep your eyes peeled...

Someone needed some money to pay for surgery on their German Shepherd and in addition to excellent taste in dogs, he also likes LP Studios. :ph34r:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 12188
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 am

My only Les Paul is an early '90s Studio that I've hooked up with some nicer-sounding pickups (WCR), some new CTS pots (proper 500k) and an aluminum tailpiece.

Is it the greatest Les Paul in the history of Les Pauls? No. Is it a damn fine instrument that does "Les Paul" well enough for me to not be constantly lusting after nicer Les Pauls? Absolutely.

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 12150
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 09, 2019 11:02 am

Sometimes I think about selling my Studio and rolling that money into a Standard, but then I think about what exactly I'd get for the extra $700-800, and I just can't see it happening.

But, I have upgraded my Studio considerably, new paper-in-oil caps, Faber locking ABR bridge and aluminum tailpiece, locking tuners, I shielded the whole guitar to the point where it's dead silent. I like the stock pickups in it... so what am I buying?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 12188
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu May 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:02 am
Sometimes I think about selling my Studio and rolling that money into a Standard, but then I think about what exactly I'd get for the extra $700-800, and I just can't see it happening.

But, I have upgraded my Studio considerably, new paper-in-oil caps, Faber locking ABR bridge and aluminum tailpiece, locking tuners, I shielded the whole guitar to the point where it's dead silent. I like the stock pickups in it... so what am I buying?
The extra money would get you body and neck binding and a sunburst finish.

If that's worth it to someone, I totally understand.

I decided to have my Studio made into something unique, with a gold-over-black metal flake finish. Now instead of a plain guitar it's fairly gregarious-looking, which I like. And nobody has a Les Paul like it.

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 12150
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by Larry Mal » Thu May 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Well, what it would really get me, and what keeps me wondering if it might be worth it, is a 60's style/Slim-taper neck. My Studio has a pretty thick neck on there- yours probably does too- and I prefer the slimmer necks.

But it's not a big deal.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 9604
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by Maggieo » Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:15 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:02 am
Sometimes I think about selling my Studio and rolling that money into a Standard, but then I think about what exactly I'd get for the extra $700-800, and I just can't see it happening.

But, I have upgraded my Studio considerably, new paper-in-oil caps, Faber locking ABR bridge and aluminum tailpiece, locking tuners, I shielded the whole guitar to the point where it's dead silent. I like the stock pickups in it... so what am I buying?
The extra money would get you body and neck binding and a sunburst finish.

If that's worth it to someone, I totally understand.

I decided to have my Studio made into something unique, with a gold-over-black metal flake finish. Now instead of a plain guitar it's fairly gregarious-looking, which I like. And nobody has a Les Paul like it.
Brad, I love your LP. Perfect companion to your Tele Thinline.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 12188
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu May 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm
øøøøøøø wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:15 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:02 am
Sometimes I think about selling my Studio and rolling that money into a Standard, but then I think about what exactly I'd get for the extra $700-800, and I just can't see it happening.

But, I have upgraded my Studio considerably, new paper-in-oil caps, Faber locking ABR bridge and aluminum tailpiece, locking tuners, I shielded the whole guitar to the point where it's dead silent. I like the stock pickups in it... so what am I buying?
The extra money would get you body and neck binding and a sunburst finish.

If that's worth it to someone, I totally understand.

I decided to have my Studio made into something unique, with a gold-over-black metal flake finish. Now instead of a plain guitar it's fairly gregarious-looking, which I like. And nobody has a Les Paul like it.
Brad, I love your LP. Perfect companion to your Tele Thinline.
Thanks!! I've got another metal flake guitar, too... a blue sparkle Squier Vista Super Sonic. I've also hot-rodded that one with fancy pickups and a cold-rolled steel inertia block on the bridge. It's a great instrument!!

Someday I'd like a red sparkle 335-style... but I'm too chickenshit to strip the original finish from my '84 ES-347.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2628
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by marqueemoon » Thu May 09, 2019 8:41 pm

The Tribute models are surprisingly non-shitty in my limited experience and there are P90 flavors so there’s that.

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 9604
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by Maggieo » Fri May 10, 2019 9:43 am

So, this is winging its way to me:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe 50s edition 2012 Iced Tea

Image

Image
With a pair of Gibson's finest zebra-coil humbuckers, coil splitting for genuine single coil tonal options, a great feeling rounded '50s neck profile, and premium tone woods - all rendered in the Studio package that saves you a bundle of cash on an amazing American made guitar - it's a Les Paul that is truly hard to beat.

Cosmetic Condition: Very good condition. Replaced cream pickup selector switch knob. Had I not done that, I would have rated the guitar condition Excellent.

Neck: Nicely rounded, '50s profile mahogany neck with cream side-dots. Baked maple fingerboard with mother of pearl trapezoid inlays. Frets are in great shape with no wear. Grover Rotomatic tuners are in perfect working condition. 1 11/16" nut width; 24 3/4" scale length. Neck is straight & truss rod is in perfect working condition.

Body: Solid mahogany body with carved A grade maple top in Iced Tea Burst finish. Stopbar tailpiece with Tune-O-Matic bridge. Guitar weighs 8 lbs 9.1 oz.

Pickups: Coiltapped Zebra 490R & BurstBucker Pro humbuckers in the neck and bridge positions with cream bezels. Bridge - 8.09K ohms; Neck - 7.60K ohms. Dual volume & tone controls with amber "top hat" knobs; 3-way toggle switch. Both volume knobs are push/pull for coil tapping. All electronics are in perfect working condition.
I'm going to put a cream pickguard on it. I've got an Emerson wiring harness and a line on some Duncan Antiquities, but that would scupper the coil-splitting. My thought is that I have loads of single coil guitars (duh) and a "proper" LP would be more valuable to me.

Thoughts?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Post Reply