I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Benjirob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I Suddenly Think I Need A Les Paul. Talk Me Out Of It.

Post by Benjirob » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:01 pm

The GAS got to me...

Terrible love and I'm walking with spiders

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Benjirob wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:01 pm
The GAS got to me...

This is gorgeous.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

boxeldah1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by boxeldah1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Telliot wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:22 pm
IIRC he mostly played his Ibanez, but had a ‘The Paul’ for a short time before it was stolen while on tour in the States.
Yep, here's some pics of the stolen one. after, Mummer he started using a Squier JV Tele and that sorta became his main guitar along with anything Dave borrowed him. He still has the Tele.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:20 am

was thinking about some other les paul players that i sort of forgot about:

Roddy Radiation of the specials:

Morrissey guitarist Alain Whyte:

Jen Cloher:

vigilante carlstrom from the hives:

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:12 am

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Different strokes for different folks, I say. You don't HAVE to like any kind of guitar. They all bring interesting flavors to the table but it's okay if any of them aren't your flavor.

For me personally the Les Paul was kind of a surprise because I started on Fenders and resisted the Les Paul/Marshall thing for ages, only to find later that Les Pauls actually suited me really well and that it made a lot of sounds that I heard on records and in my head "make sense". I haven't owned a proper one yet, but my Yamaha Studio Lord was/is a beloved guitar for several years before the neck bit the dust. Right now I'm playing a doublecut faded special that has been really fun and a lot lighter to boot.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:17 am

Funny story. I had been comparison shopping JMs only for a couple months, joined the OSG forum thinking it was only a matter of time before I owned one. Saw a LP-inspired Godin Summit gold top with P90s and it turned out it had the tone I had been looking for all along. Found its beveled edge more comfortable to play than a Gibson too. Took it home last week. So yeah, I definitely understand the Les Paul appeal. With so many pickup options and competitors though, the search could take a while.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:00 am

I had a good, long shot of my pal's '70s (?) LP Custom the other day and thought it was okay but felt myself wishing I was playing my 335 (copy) instead, due to the weight round my neck. He had the strap set so it hung too low for my liking, so I decided to sit down after a while and found it a difficult guitar to play sitting down, which I've only really experienced before with another friend's Vox Teardrop. It did sound good, and it felt good to play too. I spend a bit of time knocking on the body and it really resonated beautifully and musically, so there's that.

Maybe not enough to dissuade you from wanting one, but the weight is not for everyone, to be sure. Obviously the Jr. and other variations offer a halfway house of sorts, but they're kind of pears to the 'classic' Les Paul's apples.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 am

Related:

I'm suddenly very, very inexplicably into the idea of owning a late '70s or early '80s Dean Cadillac E'Lite.

The ones with the three humbuckers (which I also normally hate).

Like this.

https://guitars.com/inventory/ez5452-19 ... oJPk8Rfr64

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:29 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:18 pm
i certainly won't talk you out of it, though i've never lusted for a LP, and any that i've played just didn't work for me.
however, the tele-gib you got there is AMAZING. I want it hahah. love the zebra pups too!

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:42 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:00 am
I had a good, long shot of my pal's '70s (?) LP Custom the other day and thought it was okay but felt myself wishing I was playing my 335 (copy) instead, due to the weight round my neck. He had the strap set so it hung too low for my liking, so I decided to sit down after a while and found it a difficult guitar to play sitting down, which I've only really experienced before with another friend's Vox Teardrop. It did sound good, and it felt good to play too. I spend a bit of time knocking on the body and it really resonated beautifully and musically, so there's that.

Maybe not enough to dissuade you from wanting one, but the weight is not for everyone, to be sure. Obviously the Jr. and other variations offer a halfway house of sorts, but they're kind of pears to the 'classic' Les Paul's apples.
I’ve had maybe 9 or 10 Les Pauls, Gibson and otherwise, and getting one that is the right weight is key. My R9 is 8lb or so, which is fine, 9-10lb can get a little draining to have round the neck. The weight reduction that Gibson do on the mainline LPs works fine, but having well chosen pieces of wood that are naturally a lighter weight as you do on the CS guitars is better.

zepset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zepset » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Talk you out of it? How can you NOT own a Les Paul? Perfectly complements an offset.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:17 pm

You know what? I think what I really want is to have back a 2013 SG Original.

2013 Gibson SG Original Heritage Cherry

I sold mine back to B, so I could buy that Hahn Tele, but man, I miss it.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:17 pm
You know what? I think what I really want is to have back a 2013 SG Original.

2013 Gibson SG Original Heritage Cherry

I sold mine back to B, so I could buy that Hahn Tele, but man, I miss it.
Well,that is a sensible thing to do.

:)

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:19 am

NickD wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:42 pm
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:00 am

I’ve had maybe 9 or 10 Les Pauls, Gibson and otherwise, and getting one that is the right weight is key. My R9 is 8lb or so, which is fine, 9-10lb can get a little draining to have round the neck. The weight reduction that Gibson do on the mainline LPs works fine, but having well chosen pieces of wood that are naturally a lighter weight as you do on the CS guitars is better.
As a post-script, I took my lawsuit 335 over last week and spent quite some time A/B-ing it with the early '68 (it turns out) LP Custom and the LP won hands down. Just so much more depth....or is it girth? I might look into a pickup upgrade for the 335 one of these days, assuming I never have the spare cash to buy a real 335 to compare it to.