Anyone else hate the Texas Special pickups?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
raindog13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else hate the Texas Special pickups?

Post by raindog13 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:33 am

DeathJag wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:11 pm
As a surf guitarist, does anyone have any opinions on which pickups are the "surfiest?" Just got an AV '65' and I know lots of folks love those pups, but I'd love to hear someone say there are surfier ones out there. I'm playing through a couple silverface Twins.

One thing that I theorize makes good surfy pickups, is the correct output. I think just 1 or even .5 volts hits the reverb (outboard Surfy Bear) harder and makes more drip. I have an 80s Japanese strat and I have no idea what the output is, but they drip like crazy, whereas the AV '65 jaguar barely makes it...

I asked this on SG101 but no one answered.

From what I read those Texas pickups would not be good for me.
Just a simple suggestion, as it's easily done and reversible, put maybe play with the pickup height on your jag. The sonic differences you can get by adjusting that can be quite surprising...

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else hate the Texas Special pickups?

Post by DeathJag » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:22 am

ohm-men wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:29 am
As far as Surfy strat pu's go, there are a few nice sets out there. Depending on what you want.
For the classic surf tunes, the '62 set is ok I think. For the more modren stuff you might need something with a bit more output.
I personally like SD Antiquity II for strat a lot. But more expensive, ofcourse... but they are very nicely balanced imho. Good bass response, nice mids and no ear piercing highs...
Hey thanks a lot for the thoughts! Sounds like I might like those'62 ones, but I do hate when the highs pierce...
ohm-men wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:29 am
I find it strange that your Jag doesn't hit the sweet spot on your reverb. I played Jag's for years. Mostly CIJ ones loaded with either AVRI '62 Ri Pu's or Curtis Novak '64 Jag pu's. Drip for ages...
You might wanna have the cap the tone knob checked and use a good non microphonic 12ax7 in the pre amp. I used to have a 90's Fender blonde RI Reverb tank that had the cap mod done and had the correct power tube in it (instead of the 6v6) I still regrett selling that thing...
I got it of the former guitarist of "Los Venturas" and "The Tritones" (Should you have ever heard of them)
I have heard of Los Venturas, that's cool!

The jags do drip, but not as "full" as the Japanese strat. It's weird, but the more I experiment the more I'm convinced it's the output, and possibly the bass response. The bassier the tone, the fuller the drip?
raindog13 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:33 am
Just a simple suggestion, as it's easily done and reversible, put maybe play with the pickup height on your jag. The sonic differences you can get by adjusting that can be quite surprising...
I have messed with this. I lowered the strat and raised the jag and same results. I do like the tone with a little air between the strings.

The best drip I got was going through a clean boost, but I still couldn't get it to match the strat's output...

Anyhow sorry for the off-topic, and thanks a lot for the thoughts!