Any love for the Epi 339 Ultra?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
MuckleRoe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Any love for the Epi 339 Ultra?

Post by MuckleRoe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:27 pm

I just picked up a really cheap but near mint Epi 339 Ultra, the one with the acoustic pickup and stereo/usb outputs. It’s got a built in tuner in it somewhere too. I’m not sure if I’m going to get on with all the added doohickery. Has anyone got any experience with these things? I don’t know whether to persevere or chop it in against a JMJM. Pics to follow when I get to my laptop.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any love for the Epi 339 Ultra?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Maybe they're okay when they're in your hands - I've never tried one - but I wince every time I see them hanging on a guitar shop wall alongside their full-sized brethren. I have to say that all the extra bells and whistles you mention don't do anything to inspire confidence in them either. Call me a traditionalist, if you will.

That said, I was sufficiently curious to watch a video demonstrating the Ultra features and I can understand the appeal of all those bells and whistles, especially the faux-acoustic function which I suppose would be okay in a gig situation if you didn't want to bring along an extra guitar. Not for me, though - the aesthetic is a deal-killer, and having all those extra functions on a budget suggests dubious quality.

I'd say sell it while all the fancy electronics are still functioning, because it could be a real lemon if they ever start failing. A J Mascis sounds like a much more appealing prospect. :)