gibson 2019 lineup.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: gibson 2019 lineup.

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 am

Regarding that ES-335, the presence of the studs there tell me that it might be the "Anchor Stud" model:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric ... -2018.aspx

But I don't know what to tell you about the blue sparkle, sorry. Maybe that will help the search in some way.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:50 am

And like anyone would have guessed about me, there's a lot I like about the 2019 lineup. I'm sure this thread will be the usual complaining about Gibson that the internet seems to love to do so much, but anyway:

The L-00 Studio is a very attractive guitar and not a bad price point.

Used it'll be even more attractive. I'm a little concerned that the body depth has been reduced on this Studio, I don't know that, and anyway even if it was it'll be in the "Blues King" model range. Regardless I think this small bodied guitar could be quite fun and useful, and I'm happy to see that Gibson's- and hopefully the consumer's- confidence is up regarding walnut.

Regarding the electrics, I like the double cutaway Jr, I see the internet is livid about the pickguard shape though. For the most part Gibson is playing it safe with the bread and butter electrics at the moment, however the pitchforks are out for the Les Paul Standard which now comes with some other switching to it. Quite a lot of switching, actually.

I think it all looks potentially very useful, but again the internet mob is up in arms about it since it's different, I guess, and they aren't mollified by the fact that Gibson is producing at least two Les Pauls that adhere to vintage type specs, one with weight relief and one without.

And who am I to argue with the mob?

But that's me... I like Gibson a lot and I'm liking them more and more. I think they make fantastic guitars and I own a lot of them and I think they are a good company. Anathema to say that, I know, I hope you all can rinse my apostasy out of your mouths.

Oh, I also kind of like the acoustics with the Firebird pickups in them. Why not? I can think of a lot of cool sounds one can make with that guitar, it's probably great live. Undersaddle pickups always suck and never sound anything like what an acoustic guitar sounds like anyway, and if you are going to play acoustic guitar live why not just embrace what you are doing?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:07 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 am
Regarding that ES-335, the presence of the studs there tell me that it might be the "Anchor Stud" model:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric ... -2018.aspx

But I don't know what to tell you about the blue sparkle, sorry. Maybe that will help the search in some way.
Given that they've previously released 'Custom Made' vintage reissues, I don't see anything wrong with having the anchor stud model as well - there are enough vintage examples of these out there to justify it. IIRC Gibson cut their bodies with anchor holes as standard - if they received a custom order for a Bigsby they would just block the holes with metal or mother-of-pearl covered studs. Later guitars came with the custom made cover - and eventually when they moved away from stop tails in '65 the covers disappeared. Personally I prefer the cleaner look of not having the holes cut/blocked in the top ... but horses for courses.

Gibson still make some good guitars - I have issues with their QC, but I have no desire to see the company fail unlike some folk online. I think when I tally up the guitars that I've had over the years Gibson win out against others - it's something like 3:1!