Diy guitar rack

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Diy guitar rack

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Not sure if this is in the right place or not. I put this together with some scrap 2x4’s, left over paint, & foam padded shelf paper from the $1 store. Plans can be found at MyOutdoorPlans. Pardon the crappy pics.

Last edited by TeenageShutdown! on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Diy guitar rack

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:53 pm

Dig it ;D I've been needing to make a rack for my guitars and upcoming guitars pretty bad. I like the simple ones the most. Yours is reminiscent of something from my childhood that I really enjoy.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:10 am

Thanks man!

Squirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squirrel » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:39 am

Nice! I've got a friend's birthday coming up in a couple of days, maybe I'll scrounge some wood out of my garage and surprise her with one of these.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:32 am

The foam is the part that always fails first for me, hope that padded paper lasts a long time!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:44 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:32 am
The foam is the part that always fails first for me, hope that padded paper lasts a long time!
I had one that did the same. The next one I'm building, I have 2" dowel for either side of the butt of the guitar, and I'm covering it in felt. I'm hoping that'll hold up better.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:44 pm
DeathJag wrote:
I had one that did the same. The next one I'm building, I have 2" dowel for either side of the butt of the guitar, and I'm covering it in felt. I'm hoping that'll hold up better.
Felt does hold up well, but it attracts and holds filth, including finish scratching sorts of filth. Leather works quite well, has enough cushion so dents do not happen, sharp bits can not hide in it and adds a bit of grip. Can be pricey though. Cork is almost as good, does not hold up as well though, but if you cover it with some fabric it lasts a good while, cheap to replace if it wears out though. The large chunk cork is best, but the fine lasts longer. Office supply places sell it for. Under $10 for four 12"x12" sheets, or you can get a roll of thinner gasket cork for about the same price and do it in one piece.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:17 am

oid wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:06 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:44 pm
DeathJag wrote:
Felt does hold up well, but it attracts and holds filth, including finish scratching sorts of filth. Leather works quite well, has enough cushion so dents do not happen, sharp bits can not hide in it and adds a bit of grip. Can be pricey though. Cork is almost as good, does not hold up as well though, but if you cover it with some fabric it lasts a good while, cheap to replace if it wears out though. The large chunk cork is best, but the fine lasts longer. Office supply places sell it for. Under $10 for four 12"x12" sheets, or you can get a roll of thinner gasket cork for about the same price and do it in one piece.
I do leatherworking sometimes, so that could work ok. What about a cotton-covered cork (cushion properties of cork, but a bit nicer looking with some fabric)? Or do you think the fabric on top of the cork would negate the positive things from the cork?

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:52 am

I've used bike wrap to recover a regular guitar stand.I just used electrical tape and some extra tape I had. This could work with 2x4s, but probably especially well with dowels. And fancier bike tape could look fancy (and maybe tied with twine or something instead of tape).

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:57 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:17 am

I do leatherworking sometimes, so that could work ok. What about a cotton-covered cork (cushion properties of cork, but a bit nicer looking with some fabric)? Or do you think the fabric on top of the cork would negate the positive things from the cork?
Diamond or onion Quilted polyester lining fabric is cheap (of the sort you get in an MA-1 or a Barbour), washable and easily available in various shades if you want your fabric and slight padding all in one item. It's also very easy to sew, even by hand. Obviously it's not as nice looking as leather but it's a one step shop. I'd be wary of leather, a lot of it isn't actually leather on the surface being grain corrected and coated and possibly reactive, I'd avoid any sort of pullup leather too as I'd not be surprised if the oils reacted with nitro. Alcantara (synthetic suede) could be a good choice though.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:35 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:17 am
To quote myself.
oid wrote:
Cork is almost as good, does not hold up as well though, but if you cover it with some fabric it lasts a good while
shadowplay wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:57 am
Obviously it's not as nice looking as leather but it's a one step shop. I'd be wary of leather, a lot of it isn't actually leather on the surface being grain corrected and coated and possibly reactive, I'd avoid any sort of pullup leather too as I'd not be surprised if the oils reacted with nitro. Alcantara (synthetic suede) could be a good choice though.

D
Considering the number of straps with leather ends and full leather straps which are left on guitars permanently, I think we would know if leather and nitro reacted. I have seen the dyes in cheap leather straps react a few times, not sure if that was poly or nitro though, I would not hesitate to use any decent quality leather.

Personally I have had both veggie and chromium tanned leathers in long term contact with nitro without issue, and I have seen many an acoustic with a leather tie on strap that had been there for decades without issue.

My language skills are not doing to well today, this must be my 58th edit. I have no idea about that grain corrected and coated leather, never seen such stuff for sale, but in the US we have a fairly sizeable leather industry and most of what you see on the market is proper leather, as far as raw leather is concerned. I would not fear pullup myself, but I would avoid it for the fact it does not look like leather.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:40 pm

This is great! Could I bother you to maybe PM me an exact link?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

oid wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:35 am
To quote myself.
oid wrote:
Cork is almost as good, does not hold up as well though, but if you cover it with some fabric it lasts a good while
My bad. I need to sleep some time this week :D
oid wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:35 am
Considering the number of straps with leather ends and full leather straps which are left on guitars permanently, I think we would know if leather and nitro reacted. I have seen the dyes in cheap leather straps react a few times, not sure if that was poly or nitro though, I would not hesitate to use any decent quality leather.

Personally I have had both veggie and chromium tanned leathers in long term contact with nitro without issue, and I have seen many an acoustic with a leather tie on strap that had been there for decades without issue.

My language skills are not doing to well today, this must be my 58th edit. I have no idea about that grain corrected and coated leather, never seen such stuff for sale, but in the US we have a fairly sizeable leather industry and most of what you see on the market is proper leather, as far as raw leather is concerned. I would not fear pullup myself, but I would avoid it for the fact it does not look like leather.
Agreed. The leather here in the US that I've worked with has always seemed like pretty good stuff. I also don't like nitro, and don't have any on guitars. I've finished all my guitars in polyurethane and I prefer a beefier finish.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:32 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm
I need to sleep some time this week :D
I am right there with you, it took me half a dozen sentences and numerous edits to just say use a decent quality leather, time has proven it kind to guitar finishes, and I did not even really manage to effectively convey that.

As far as the cork goes, I would not bother with the fabric due to the cheapness of cork and the modest gains the fabric would give, it would just make it more difficult to replace when the time comes. I would just glue it on with something like hide glue. Scrape it off after a few years when it gets chewed up and put on some new. Hide glue will stick to itself so you do not need to worry about getting it off and back down to bare wood, just scrape most of the cork off with a putty knife, new hide glue and stick on some new cork. The cork will last many years if you can avoid scraping the strap button across it when you remove/put a guitar on the rack.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:43 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm
I need to sleep some time this week :D
I am right there with you, it took me half a dozen sentences and numerous edits to just say use a decent quality leather, time has proven it kind to guitar finishes, and I did not even really manage to effectively convey that.

As far as the cork goes, I would not bother with the fabric due to the cheapness of cork and the modest gains the fabric would give, it will just make it more difficult to replace when the time comes. I would just glue it on with something like hide glue, scrape it off after a few years when it gets chewed up and put on some new. Hide glue will stick to itself so you do not need to worry about getting it off and back down to bare wood, just scrape most of the cork off with a putty knife, new hide glue and stick on some new cork. The cork will last many years if you can avoid scraping the strap button across it when you remove/put a guitar on the rack.

Cork is an interesting material, there is a whole eco system built around the cork harvests which have been going on for centuries in the cork forests, the switch by many companies to synthetic substitutes has shut down a good deal of the harvests and creating one of the few examples of an eco system collapsing due to humans leaving. Also some of the cork forests have been sold to developers due to the forests no longer making a profit and they are being turned into resorts and the like. Support cork!