An honest question.. Please explain how you feel after a Squier logo "upgrade"

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

An honest question.. Please explain how you feel after a Squier logo "upgrade"

Post by Fiddy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 pm

To a Fender logo..

All answers will be kept confidential... :ph34r:

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: An honest question.. Please explain how you feel after a Squier logo "upgrade"

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:01 pm

What's the point? If you're the one playing it, you know it's not actually a Fender. If you're pretending it's a Fender because you can't afford a Fender, that's sad. If you're playing it because it's a good guitar, why does it have to say Fender? Otherwise, you might be trying to impress and/or fool others into thinking your guitar is something it isn't.

I get it more if you're making a partscaster that looks like a Fender and you're trying to complete the look, but why change a Squier neck to say Fender? Be proud of your Squier if it works for you. If it doesn't work for you, a new decal won't change that.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: An honest question.. Please explain how you feel after a Squier logo "upgrade"

Post by shoule79 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Tone woods get all the press, but the real secret to great tonz is in tone stickers.

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:26 pm

If you’re a good guitar player, people won’t care what the logo says. If you suck, people will see right through your fake logo!

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 pm

I think is cool to play a Squier when you're a big shot. A good chunk of them are quite playable.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:58 pm

i needed a new logo for a Squier...i got a new Squier logo from HnB
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:18 pm

In this day and age, Squier logos can be found multiple places.

Pickup and hardware upgrades can be beneficial tho.

Joeybsic, if you're reading this, what would you say is the percentage of people that choose to keep the Squier logo when getting their headstocks matched?

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:23 pm

If I was to match the headstock of my VM Jag I'd love to get a Squier decal on it. It would make it even more exclusive.

But I don't really care about the logos... Plus only nerds like us would notice if a logo doesn't match the guitar. In a gig it gets even harder to see if the logo is "fake" or not
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Sometime the past 15 years I build a thinline strat.
The guitar is awesome, has Fender Custom shop 1969 pups, plays like budda.

I did put a Fender Strat decal in the headstock .. I didn't have to , I will never play the guitar outside of the home.
But to my eye, my "artist/design eye" the headstock shape looks correct with a Fender/strat decal.
When I see a Squier decal on the strat headstock I know what it is, what it means, but it doesn't look correct.

If you are not trying to cheat anyone (ie sell it for what it isn't) then I have no issue with anyone upgrading the decal.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm

I only have one Squier neck that ever needed a new logo. It was my MIM Squier Strat neck from my first electric guitar. I was refinishing it white to use in a Warmoth JM build about 10 years ago. There was no such thing as a Squier Jazzmaster logo at the time, so I stuck a Fender on there.

It evoked no particular emotional response. The neck is the only FMIC part on there anyway. I own both Fenders and Squiers, and have no shame whatsoever playing out with my modded Bullet Mustang instead of one of my Fenders. Nobody cares what the headstock says.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

brucer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brucer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:47 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm
I only have one Squier neck that ever needed a new logo. It was my MIM Squier Strat neck from my first electric guitar. I was refinishing it white to use in a Warmoth JM build about 10 years ago. There was no such thing as a Squier Jazzmaster logo at the time, so I stuck a Fender on there.

It evoked no particular emotional response. The neck is the only FMIC part on there anyway. I own both Fenders and Squiers, and have no shame whatsoever playing out with my modded Bullet Mustang instead of one of my Fenders. Nobody cares what the headstock says.
^^This for me too: couldn't find a replacement Squier Jazzmaster decal when I had my J Mascis refinished. Tried dealing with Fender; became a total pain as I'd made many mods (bridge, pickups, pickguard, wiring). Picked up a nice aftermarket Fender Jazzmaster decal because I don't like bare headstocks and I liked that it still said Jazzmaster. "Crafted in China", J Mascis signature and serial # are still on the back of the headstock.

Couple of years later, I bought a Squier neck from Stratosphere for an MJT body. Squier decal, serial #, etc also still on that because I didn't want a painted headstock. Funny thing though, I had the radius reduced to 7.5" and vintage-style frets and tuners put on, so ... as far as FMIC and purists are concerned ... I should be taking the Squier logo off!

Anyway, I think both guitars are great. Love how they look, play and sound.

Just my 50 cents though.
Last edited by brucer on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blank.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:11 pm

I've had a lot of time to think about this issue. I put a Fender decal on the first neck I ever bought and finished, when I was a kid (some decades ago). The decal actually came from Fender (that's another story). The neck was only for me (I couldn't afford a real Fender guitar). It came out well enough that it would fool many people (this was pre-internet, pre-ebay, pre-Squiers, pre-easy decal purchases, pre-easy Fender neck purchases).

Every time I played it I realized I was playing a cheesy fake. I would have been better off leaving it blank. I still have it and I am actually now thinking of sanding the decal off ... or breaking the neck in half. It's an unwanted reminder of my immature youth. I can't sell it as is, and I wouldn't be comfortable giving it away (not knowing how someone else might sell it). So the decal has effectively rendered it value-less.

Now that there are shysters on ebay selling Chinese necks (some Squier) with decals as real Fender necks - despite repeated complaints by many to ebay - I feel even worse about mine.

The only time I would be happy now with a Fender decal added to a neck I owned would be a refinish of a real Fender neck from an authorized repair shop. I don't have a problem with licensed replacement necks (ie high quality non-Fender) with a decal added as long as they are disclosed as such when sold. But I would never buy one.

Squiers are Squiers. Fenders are Fenders. Real Fender necks are readily available from Fender or Stratosphere. If you need one, buy one.
https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/necks

Incidentally I have no issue with partscasters with real Fender necks, as long as they are disclosed as such when sold. I do own some of those (which I built).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:55 pm

I put a logo once, sold 5he guitar shortly after, fully disclosed.

It just felt weird. I was more impressed that i was able to do a good job, more so than the fact that the logo had been err.. "upgraded"

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Who cares? If you paint the headstock and need something there, and fender is what's available, then fine. If you wanna go to the trouble of getting a reproduction squier decal, also fine. If you wanna do it just to do it, OK. Just don't sell it with it on there.

It'd be cooler if you put a gibson logo on there, though. :shifty:
This is an excellent rectangle

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:32 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:10 pm
It'd be cooler if you put a gibson logo on there, though. :shifty:
Epiphone. Really fuck with people.