What are the best Dano style guitars?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What are the best Dano style guitars?

Post by DeathJag » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:18 pm

simonhpieman wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:48 pm
I'm digressing a bit here but Hondo were merely an importer. The Dano copy was part of their professional series which were made in Japan. The Fender copies were done by Tokai and the rest by Matsumoku.
I’m confused by this statement! If Hondo was just an importer, what does the “H” on the headstock stand for?

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 am

A bit like with the Ibanez/Antoria dealy. The Hondo company (owned by IMC, I think) would get guitars from various factories and stick their own logo on them.

The H does stand for Hondo, they just didn't have their own factory or anything like that. (Although to confuse that statement further, from what I can tell, the Hondo guys, or IMC as they were known, had a big hand in setting up the Samick factory in the early 80s...)

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:00 am

I can't help but I love the Danelectro Dead on 67 guitars!
(not to confuse with the newer 67 models which I don't really like).

I once had a Lime Green Baritone model - that I ended up selling to be able to pay for my Les Paul.
Today I would love to get a blue standard one! (Who could have thought they would be so hard to get when Thomann once sold them for 145€ - they should be everywhere!)

That swirly psyched out pickguard-underlayer! The Lipsticks and the weird - but still fine working trem system on a rosewood (!) bridge... weird it is! But it can(!) be an awesome guitar if you change the electronics/wiring!

Surely not THE BEST of all times - bit it is a fun guitar and a great modding platform! And it would fit my actual playing style perfectly!