Gibson 2014 Melody Maker

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Gibson 2014 Melody Maker

Post by MKR » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:53 pm

I took a chance on a trade a couple days ago where i sent my Gretsch electromatic pro jet in exchange for this Gibson melody maker Les Paul.
I say "took a chance" because i have NEVER thought myself as a gibson guy and never a les paul guy. This is also my first american made guitar.

It's very bare bones, but i'm actually surprised at how much i like it. The pick ups sound real nice. The neck plays well and overall i am surprised at how much i like the les paul feel. Granted this one is thinner than the standard LP and hence lighter, but still.... maybe i am a Les paul guy afterall.

pics:

Now i am looking for some advise. I NEED to dress this guitar up a bit.
I'll switch out the knobs for something more classic looking and for sure i am going to add a pickguard. I can either go:
-Les paul special pickguard (this guitar pretty much is an LP special)

-standard LP pickguard

-edit a LP junior pickguard and make an opening for the neck p90.

The one thing that possibly makes this a little tricky is that the body is a carved top and not a slab top. i wonder how the special pickguard or the junior pickguard would sit on something not totally flat. (although i have seen photos online of people who have added each of those pickgaurds to the same guitar so i guess it works fine).

I also really want to add a bigsby down the line. I assume the stock bridge will work as is with a bigsby. Anyone here thinks this would not be the case?

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gibson 2014 Melody Maker

Post by solfege » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Nice.

Standard LP pickguard (nothing else will look remotely right on a carved top) and either leave those speed knobs (they are pretty classic) or maybe try those golden ones in the picture of the goldtop you have there (though dunno how they'd look with the cream body you have there).

Still, I love stripped down Les Pauls. The one guitar I regret selling was a late 80s LP studio in black on black on black. Such great guitar and I'm constantly looking for one of that era and style to replace it, but they're typically pushing a grand at least now.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gibson 2014 Melody Maker

Post by shoule79 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:14 am

Good score. A shop I frequent had one of these in stock a while back, and it was my go to guitar for demoing amps/pedals (Gibson dealer and never had Fender in stock used). It blew away the expensive Gibson’s in the store.