NGD - Makes 3 of a kind (Dots, Moons & Birds)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
greebo830
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

NGD - Makes 3 of a kind (Dots, Moons & Birds)

Post by greebo830 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:15 am

Okay so I seem to be losing the GAS battle again at the moment (8 in 16 weeks) but when I saw this I just had to get her.

2001 PRS Core Standard 22

Showing colour under very bright light

This beauty is virtually mint (1 pinhead sized chip on the underside) and again weighs just under 9LBS. Wide fat neck carve that again feels like it was shaped for my hand alone, everything just feels "right"

The standard 22's mahogany body is stained a extremely dark purple thats almost black until the light hits it and has a perfect finish. The Mahogany neck is fantastic to hold, On the flip side are a set nickel-plated Phase I locking winged tuners, these look really weird to me but once I tried a string swap it was amazing simple to get the string up to pitch quickly while the unbound rosewood fretboard wears eleven beautiflu Abalone / MOP Moon inlays.

Some people don't like the dragon II pickups but I think they sound amazing, sweet to spanky clean, mean to scream...handles gain like nobody's business.. Twist up/down the tone/volume pots and the guitar can go from lead screamer to powerful rhythm in a second. I can get the guitar to go from dark and dirty to bright, smooth and silky depending on what I do with the vol/tone pots. The 5-way pickup selector gives some nice single-coil options, on top of the those excellent HBs, Lots of natural sustain on this beauty, which comes just as much from the quality of woods, design and finish, as from those tasty pickups.

How do I compare them
The McCarty sounds very vintage with its 58/15's, very similar to my 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional with 59 tributes in it.
The CE-24 doesn't sound quite as vintage with the HFS/VB pickups but it doesn't sound modern either, very similar to my 2012 Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom with 57 classics in it.
The Standard 22 I feel sounds mid way between the other two, not as vintage as the mcCarty, not as modern as the CE-24.

Settling in with her sisters on the sofa

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - Makes 3 of a kind (Dots, Moons & Birds)

Post by wproffitt » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:03 am

I've played a few Custom and Standard 22 guitars and they are great instruments. A buddy of mine lent his Cu22 to me a few years back when I was, uh, between electric guitars and had a show to play. That thing was beat up from 15 years of hard playing, but I couldn't get over how well made it was and how I seemed to play differently on it. I still may own a PRS one day. Perhaps a (used) DGT ? They just make so much sense when it comes to a double-humbucker platform! I've been to the factory a few times because I love seeing how things are made. You should check it out sometime. Enjoy your new baby!

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 am

PRS! They're so great.

I had a yellow PRS SE Santana 2011 for some time, absolutely loved it, such craftsmanship on them. But I had the opportunity to do a deal on one of my dream guitars, a competition blue mustang, so I had to let it go. I so want to have a PRS again in the future.

Yours look really sick, I think the moon dots go well with the overall dark vibe from the guitar, although I usually like PRS's better when they have the birds, 'cause I think they're so characteristic. Plus you also have one with birds!

This is very rad looking, congrats!
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

greebo830
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by greebo830 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:22 pm

leokula wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 am
PRS! They're so great.

I had a yellow PRS SE Santana 2011 for some time, absolutely loved it, such craftsmanship on them. But I had the opportunity to do a deal on one of my dream guitars, a competition blue mustang, so I had to let it go. I so want to have a PRS again in the future.

Yours look really sick, I think the moon dots go well with the overall dark vibe from the guitar, although I usually like PRS's better when they have the birds, 'cause I think they're so characteristic. Plus you also have one with birds!

This is very rad looking, congrats!
I love the SE Range as well, easuly as good or better than any mid range guitar the other main two put out.

2004 Singlecut Soapbar

2010 Nick Catanese (with custom airbrush paintwork & schroeder Wraparound)

2010 Tremonti

2011 Bernie Marsden (One of the initial 1000 piece run) This was the guitar that started my loved for PRS
I love this guitar, this is my Les paul killer.
Mods include =
Bone Nut
Custom “J Birds in Flight” Fretboard Decals
Tonerider Classic Alnico 4 Bridge Humbucker
Tonerider Classic Alnico 4 Neck Humbucker
Nickel Gotoh SD-90 HAP Machineheads
Aluminium ABM Wraparound Bridge
Push pull tone pot (phase reversal)

2011 Santana (fitted with custom pickups & 5 way rotary switch)
Mods Include =
Custom Ebony TRC
Rosewood Tuner Buttons
“Vintage Whisperer” Bridge Humbucker (Unoriented Alnico 5)
“Vintage Whisperer” Neck Humbucker (Alnico 3)
Nickel PRS Machineheads with Rosewood Buttons
Nickel PRS Tremelo Bridge
5 Way Rotary Knob
Spraque Hyrel .022 PIO Capacitor

2014 Marty Friedman
Mods include =
Custom Maple TRC
PRS Core nut
Chrome Selector Switch Tip
Axesrus Classic 50's Bridge Humbucker (Alnico III)
Irongear Blues Engine Neck Humbucker (Alnico IV)
PRS Core Pickup Surrounds
2 Push Pull Tones (Phase Reversal & Coil Shunt)
Spraque Hyrel .022 PIO Capacitors

2014 Tremonti Custom (Thomann 60th anniversary limited run - only 60 in this colour)

Specs are different from usual custom model =
Thick Mahogany Body
AAA Flamed Veneered Maple Cap
Custom TRC (added by me)
PRS Core nut
Wide Thin Profile Maple Set Neck
Ebony Fretboard with Pearloid Birds in Flight
22 Medium Frets
25” Scale Length
10” Neck Radius
EMG 81 Bridge Humbucker
EMG 85 Chrome Neck Humbucker
PRS Core Pickup Surrounds (added by me)
Nickel PRS Style tuners
Nickel PRS Tremolo Bridge
2 Volume, 2 Tone & 3 Way Switch
Clear Control Knobs (added by me)
Switchcraft jack
Whale Blue
(Thomann Limited Edition 60 piece special run)

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:13 am

Fucking hell you collect PRS's!

Man, the Bernie is amazing isn't it? Hadn't seen this special one with the outlined bird inlays... so beautiful! Every once in a while I GAS for a bernie badly.

When I had my Santana, I wanted to do the rottary mod, yours looks great. Mine was exactly like this one but unmodded. The rosewood tuning pegs look great.

You also have a Friedman! I love Megadeth and therefore love Marty Friedman, such a badass. Have you listened to any of his solo material? "Inferno" is great.

All your mods are of very good taste, sir. Are you in the official PRS forum? That's a great place to talk about PRS and guitars in general, I signed up back when I got my Santana, very friendly place.

Congrats on your collection, man, I'm saving the pictures 8) :?

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 am

greebo830 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:22 pm

2014 Tremonti Custom (Thomann 60th anniversary limited run - only 60 in this colour)
There's something about blue PRS's! They're gorgeous!

greebo830
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by greebo830 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:28 pm

leokula wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:13 am
Fucking hell you collect PRS's!

Man, the Bernie is amazing isn't it? Hadn't seen this special one with the outlined bird inlays... so beautiful! Every once in a while I GAS for a bernie badly.

When I had my Santana, I wanted to do the rottary mod, yours looks great. Mine was exactly like this one but unmodded. The rosewood tuning pegs look great.

You also have a Friedman! I love Megadeth and therefore love Marty Friedman, such a badass. Have you listened to any of his solo material? "Inferno" is great.

All your mods are of very good taste, sir. Are you in the official PRS forum? That's a great place to talk about PRS and guitars in general, I signed up back when I got my Santana, very friendly place.

Congrats on your collection, man, I'm saving the pictures 8) :?
First off guys thanks for all your comments,

As for the Friedman, I've followed Marty's career off and on since the Cacophony days with Jason Becker (another killer axeman). I would love to know why he jumped ship to Jackson from PRS. I actually bought the guitar cause it was a black LP with star inlays, when we were little me & my twin brother used to entertain the family singing old 50's songs especially the Everly Brothers (the first guitar I ever strummed was a Gibson J-180 everly brothers signature model) then when I got into my teens my heros were Slash, Megadeth & Richie Sambora (his first 2 solo albums still get regualr airplay in our house) I loved his star inlaid Kramers (See homage kramer Barettas in collection). So the Friedman was a no brainer, though I have modded it a little.

Custom TRC
PRS Core nut
Chrome Selector Switch Tip
Switchcraft Selector Switch
Axesrus Classic 50's Bridge Humbucker (Alnico III)
Irongear Blues Engine Neck Humbucker (Alnico IV)
PRS Core Pickup Surrounds
2 Volume, 2 Push Pull Tones (Phase Reversal & Coil Shunt)
Spraque Hyrel .022 PIO Capacitors
Switchcraft jack
Chrome Control Knobs

The Bernie is actually just a standard production run from the first run of 1000.

I get asked a lot about the shadow bird inlays, they are actually decal inlay stickers from a ebay store called Creative Cuts. they fit perfectly over the preinstalled birds are thin enough that you don't feel them while playing. other mods are

Custom Ebony TRC
Bone Nut
Custom “J Birds in Flight” Fretboard Decals
Tonerider Classic Alnico 4 Bridge Humbucker
Tonerider Classic Alnico 4 Neck Humbucker
Nickel Gotoh SD-90 HAP Machineheads (Height adjustable posts)
Aluminium ABM Wraparound Bridge
2 Volume, 1 Push Pull Tone (Phase Reversal)
Spraque Hyrel .022 PIO Capacitor
Vintage Amber Bell Knobs
Switchcraft jack

ebay link for J Bird decals = https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flying-Doves ... 1438.l2649

Yes I'm on the official forum.

Username = Fullmoon 1971

greebo830
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by greebo830 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:07 pm

leokula wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 am
greebo830 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:22 pm

There's something about blue PRS's! They're gorgeous!
Yeah that one is something special although its technically not a Tremonti signature model. The german music store comissioned these as part of 60th Anniversary celebrations in 2014. it was available in 3 colours Black Cherry, Charcoal & Whale Blue. Too be honest I only bought it cause it was going super cheap, this was in 2015 and considered a obselete model. the normal SE Tremonti custom cost about £679.00 at the time and Thomman were selling the last of these for £408.56 delivered. a couple of weeks earlier we had got my son a PRS SE Standard 245 from Thomman and it had only cost £30 less than the Tremonti. They are different than the standard Tremonti Custom becauseThomann spec'd different pickups, a colour matched headstock and ebony fingerboard.

Full specs are = (Bold indicated Thomann spec'd upgrades)
Thick Mahogany Body
AAA Flamed Veneered Maple Cap
Wide Thin Profile Maple Set Neck
AAA Flamed Veneered Maple Capped headstock
Custom TRC (added by me)
PRS Core nut
Ebony Fretboard with Pearloid Birds in Flight
22 Medium Frets
25” Scale Length
10” Neck Radius
EMG 81 Bridge Humbucker
EMG 85 Chrome Neck Humbucker

PRS Core Pickup Surrounds (added by me)
Nickel PRS Style tuners
Nickel PRS Tremolo Bridge
2 Volume, 2 Tone & 3 Way Switch
Clear Control Knobs (added by me)
Switchcraft jack
Whale Blue
(Thomann Limited Edition 60 piece special run)

It is a fantastic guitar but the inclusion of the EMG's make it a no signature model really (AFAIK mark's never used EMG's)

link to offical page for product release
https://www.thomann.de/gb/news_msg_limi ... ns_60.html