Telecasters - MIM VS American Pro, buying without trying

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
BassOutcast
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Telecasters - MIM VS American Pro, buying without trying

Post by BassOutcast » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:26 am

Hey guys.
I've been wanting a Tele for a WHILE now to add to the sonic layer before recording (seeing as I only have a KC Mustang as my only electric guitar).
I've tried the American pro the other day at a music store and it was KILLER! Sounded fantastic, felt awesome (as opposed to all the Strats I've ever tried). The problem is - I'm currently at University and can't really afford it, so I thought of going the Mexican route and adding a set of pickups and a proper setup to get what I want for half the price, but here's the big issue - I'm a lefty, and live in Israel, where the supply for lefty guitars is VERY low (my 2 Fenders are imported - the Mustang came with me on a plane from Manhattan and the Jazz bass came straight from Japan's Ishibashi). I really want to try before deciding on a Mexican Tele, but can't (and trying a right-handed one will just be absurd as I can't play as well and really get the feel for the body).
How big is a difference between these 2? other than the hardware, is the neck profiling the same? I know the trivial things such as 21 VS 21 frets but where's the real difference? (I'll have her properly set-up, fretwork included).

I'd love to hear your input on the subject!

sa1126
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Telecasters - MIM VS American Pro, buying without trying

Post by sa1126 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:50 pm

The MIM guitars are nice but they have a ton of lacquer and are heavier than most teles. I would hunt down a classic vibe tele if you're on a budget.

https://reverb.com/item/12314848-squier ... ric-guitar
Gibson Les Paul Custom --> Orange AD30

great deals with dug, grandmasterdavid, ChrisFFTA, Bryce_dude13, cestlamort, jimi, HNB,blake480,DocCarlson,
Gonkulator, AWSchmit, billboneys, panoramic,Gavanti,seancomm,Swansonron,Con-Tiki!

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:59 pm

I have two takes on this situation, so feel free to heed/not heed either or:

1. Every time I have ever gone with "the cheaper" route on a guitar, I have not been happy. There's a difference between getting a bargain on a good piece vs. buying the half-assed version of what you want. If what you want is the American Pro, then save, get a second job, until you can get it. Simple as that. You won't regret that you got what you wanted, especially if it's something that you can play beforehand and bond with.

2. There's WAY more teles out there than just these two. There's the highway 1s (USA with a thin finish and therefore cheaper), there's Squiers, there's Japanese copies from the 80s that some say are better than vintage, etc. etc. I have to believe that if you look around enough you'll find these others in lefty configuration eventually and then maybe you'll find something in the middle that does it or you.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:06 pm

I think the best* Tele available at the minute is the Baja. It's Mexican made. I'd rather have it than anything thing else that's being made.

* - most Teleish Tele.
a total idiot jackass

BassOutcast
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BassOutcast » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:39 am

The Baja isn't made for us lefties.
I found out the MIM series is being replaced with the new Player series, which has a lefty one as well (and in butterscotch blonde! wohoo!) with 22 frets and Alnico pickups as opposed to the outgoing Standard model with ceramic ones. It looks VERY interesting and I'll probably try it while I'm in Germany this summer.
Has anyone played those>?

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:18 pm

Ah, I completely missed that, sorry.
a total idiot jackass

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm a lefty, and i bought a tele last year. it is one of the best guitars i own, if not the best. the thing about it? it's a japanese one. I would recommend an early 90s japanese telecaster. it weighs nothing, sounds exactly like a tele, and is a very well built guitar. i doubt i'll ever buy another tele, as none of them will beat this one. here's the thread from last year

otherwise, i would recommend going for the American Pro if that's the one you want, even if it means saving up a little longer. otherwise you will find yourself questioning your purchase of the MIM, and always comparing it to what you wanted. :)

theconsultant
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theconsultant » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:06 pm

I'd recommend the Am Pro way over the Mexican. The Mex Standard Teles are decent trashy guitars but they don't have the class, the feel or the prestige of the American Fenders. The extra money is worth it.

theconsultant
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theconsultant » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:07 pm

...I'm a lefty by the way, I've played 'em both.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:18 am

theconsultant wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:06 pm
I'd recommend the Am Pro way over the Mexican. The Mex Standard Teles are decent trashy guitars but they don't have the class, the feel or the prestige of the American Fenders. The extra money is worth it.
How do you quantify class and prestige?
a total idiot jackass

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DavidG » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:15 pm

You might want to check this out: https://youtu.be/i9HiWuFhkVI

Pretty interesting that alot of the components in the new players series are similar/same as an American made. May make your decision easier/more difficult!

My experience has generally been to go straight to the one you want, however happy you are with the cheaper one you'll always be wondering if the more expensive one is better. Having said that, I have a baja telecaster and classic player strat and I am finding it hard to convince myself the price jump to American pro/original will be worth the cost and hassle.

Good luck.

theconsultant
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theconsultant » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:54 am

sessylU wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:18 am
theconsultant wrote:
Fair enough. The American guitars feel better, they sound better, and i'd say the build quality is better. Sorry for any misunderstanding. This is going on the last Mexican Standard Tele i played about 7 years ago, i must admit. Maybe they're better now. I've had a bunch of Mexican Fenders. They're never as good as the Japanese or American guitars, in my opinion. They're a step above the Squier range, and are priced accordingly. Hope that makes sense.

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DavidG » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Based on Mexicos more recent output, there might be a case for the American lines to feel slightly nicer (rolled fretboard edges being one). But I'm not so sure about the rest of it, there's enough evidence out there these days which confirms that alot of these Mexican/American lines share much the same hardware.

My classic player is certainly the equal of the American standards I've previously had. The Baja too, without a doubt. I'd only ever consider getting rid of those for American Original equivalents, no way the pro line.

Can't speak of the Mexican standards though, I know they haven't always been as highly regarded.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm

sessylU wrote:
theconsultant wrote:
LOL I love these types of objective descriptions. This sums up the MIM vs american vs chinese guitars... class and prestige
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

theconsultant
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theconsultant » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:04 pm

leokula wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
sessylU wrote:
theconsultant wrote:
LOL I love these types of objective descriptions. This sums up the MIM vs american vs chinese guitars... class and prestige
LOL I thought this place was one of the only schmuck-free zones on the internet.

I was only trying to help, and have clarified my opinion further.