the Nelson Build

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: the Nelson Build

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:32 am

it arrived today!

i've only been able to play it a little bit...but initial impressions are good!

it really looks great and the neck carve makes it very playable.

more info tonight!

(it wasn't a gift, SteveO...i've just waited a while for it and told myself that to keep me patient)
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: the Nelson Build

Post by jakeisjake » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:58 am

it is, as i expected, a stunning, well made guitar!

the figuring of the grain is beautiful...enough grain to make you say "wow" but not so much that it's overdone like one of Herb Tarlek's suits.

the top is quite thick, too. thicker than other hollow bodies i've owned (Ric, fake Ric, gretsch, etc. which is quite interesting. the plus of that is, it feels solid. it doesn't feel like a delicate instrument at all.

as was mentioned, Nelson's necks are usually quite thick...like a Gibson. while i got along ok with the neck on the socialite i had (neck size doesn't really bother me at all)...but i did want a thinner neck for this. he carved it into a "soft V shape"...it feels great. the entire guitar has a satin finish...so, the neck feels amazing. not glossy at all..

the pickups are great! loud and clear and sweet. they really have their own kind of sound. he also upgraded the covers (at least from the socialite i had) and they are nice, too. i'm not a super big fan of the "mirror" tops...but they are sturdy.

there's two switches (i explained them in concept before)...tbh, i didn't think i would care about the second switch. but it's awesome. with the tone open about 1/2-3/4, it gives each p/u selection 3 voices.

i'm trying to get around to taking some pics...it's a beautiful vermont day...so, hopefully in a little bit. some soundclips too...sometime
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...