Incoming NGD a rebuild (suggestions wanted)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
greebo830
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Incoming NGD a rebuild (suggestions wanted)

Post by greebo830 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:51 pm

So as you I got a epi riviera recently and love it. I love the unusual control layout of the 3 volumes & 1 Tone (It makes me think a lot more about the sound I'm going for) my dream guitar would be a original 1949 - 1955 Gibson L-5 but certainly couldn't afford it, the Epi Zephyr would be a great choice but I've never seen you for sale and the only other version is the Peerless Wizard series but when these seem to come up for sale I never have the money. A few years ago I spotted a Peerless alike by a firm called layke on ebay and even though they got good reviews I passed - (the colours were a bit off putting) so fast forward to now & I find a Layke model on ebay for £150. a bit of back & forth and its mine £125 including shipping. As you will see from the picture it been modded over the years but nothing super major. It now sports 2 seymour duncan invaders and the hardware has been swapped for black versions and its had a 3 way switch put in.
Sellers picture from ebay

What I plan on doing is retro modding it back to something like a florentine version of this (it should be pretty easy everythings already there just need to creat my own style headstock).

So this is were I want the communites input

It will be converted back to 3 x P-90's. 3 Volumes & a master tone (master tone will be in the postion currently covered by the sticker which covers original hole)

I plan on sanding it down (correcting F-holes) and staining it - What colour should I go for

Brown
Black
(Clock wise)
Yellow, Green, Denim Blue , Phthalo Blue, Royal Blue, Purple, Crimson Red, Cherry Red, Orange, Amber or Yellow

All the hardware needs changing so I have 3 options
1 = Wraparound bridge if so what colour (Chrome, Nickel or Gold) and any model in particular
2 = Wraparound bridge (just for intonation) Trapeze Tailpiece or Bigsby B-7
3 = Fill stud holes and use a pinned wood and tune o matic with Trapeze Tailpiece

The headstock is probably the worse design I've seen so will be plugged added to and reshaped (back of headstock will be painted as a black stinger to hide alterations. suggest a 3 aside headstock shape?

What machineheads should I go ?

Vintage Kluson Style
Imperial Style
Tulip Style
or something different.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NGD a rebuild (suggestions wanted)

Post by mgeek » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:27 am

greebo830 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:51 pm

I plan on sanding it down (correcting F-holes) and staining it - What colour should I go for

Brown
Black
(Clock wise)
Yellow, Green, Denim Blue , Phthalo Blue, Royal Blue, Purple, Crimson Red, Cherry Red, Orange, Amber or Yellow

I'd say it'd be pretty difficult to get that modern poly finish off there and still end up with something worth looking at through a transparent finish, and that's 'if' it's any kind of wood worth looking at anyway.

Might be worth applying a top layer of flame veneer if you deffo want a clear finish

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:03 am

mgeek wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:27 am
I'd say it'd be pretty difficult to get that modern poly finish off there and still end up with something worth looking at through a transparent finish, and that's 'if' it's any kind of wood worth looking at anyway.
I 100% agree with this. Companies that make cheap guitars don't spend money on nice wood just to paint it.
Plus, that matte lavender color is pretty rad IMO.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:09 am

Gonna have to agree here, there's probably a 10-piece laminated top with mineral-streaked plywood or something under there.

I also think the colour is pretty awesome, but the nice thing about poly is that you can just lightly sand it and spray just about any Home Depot rattlecan colour over it if you're hoping for something different.

Didn't know Duncans came in those 80's Vai-approved colours, but even so, you could probably get like half your money back just by selling those! 125 quid for anything in playable condition with two Duncans is quite a remarkable deal.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:26 am

mbene085 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:09 am
I also think the colour is pretty awesome...
you could probably get like half your money back just by selling those!
Yeah I'd keep the color, sell the pickups, get some chrome and dogears