NGD: Hahn Model C T-type

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: NGD: Hahn Model C T-type

Post by Maggieo » Mon May 14, 2018 12:11 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:14 pm
I'm really loving the look of this model. Love what they did with the pickguard.
Great thread. Quality Maggie gear shots complete with epic Shadowplay post of the month. Good classic OSG vibes.
Would revisit.

:D

P.S. Maggie, you should work for Fender (or anyone really) as their product photographer. Your consistency is what amazes me. Rarely see shots without perfect lighting and framing. No exaggeration.
Exactly! This is one of many reasons I love it here at OSG. Good, good people.

BTW, Jim signed the back of all the pickguards, because he's a mensch.

Thank you for the compliments on my photos. I just use natural light and good lenses, and my subject just kind of tells me how to go from there. When I love something, it's easy to photograph with love; and that's my secret sauce.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:14 am

I saw your post on TGP too. Despite multiple attempts,I have never managed to bind with a Tele— your pics, and the pedigree of Jim Campilongo (such a nice demo he plays!!!) makes me GAS hard. :?

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Thu May 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:14 am
Despite multiple attempts,I have never managed to bond with a Tele
Same story for me. I think I finally give up on Teles, they just aren't for me. Even a well-made AV64 couldn't win me over on Teles, so I sold it off a few months back. I do not miss it.

I do really like the look of this Hahn, though. I've never tried a Tele from a company other than Fender.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 18, 2018 4:40 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
the pedigree of Jim Campilongo (such a nice demo he plays!!!)
Yeah but how does it sound when you play the blues? More Eric Clapton and less Erik Satie dude! ;)

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:01 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:40 am
Jaguar018 wrote:
Yeah but how does it sound when you play the blues? More Eric Clapton and less Erik Satie dude! ;)
I think I have mentioned that eight years ago or so my wife and I explored the option to have him to play at our wedding. The cost was more than we could afford, but he was really cool about it.

Most of the time when I watch telecaster masters play with skills, technique, and tricks I could never dream of I just sort of watch from a safe distance where even I *could* play that well I'd not want to be such a hot dog playing nebbish show-off tunes. Jim Campilongo is one of those hot dogs that plays and sounds so good that I'd love to have his skills. He is a hot dog made of unicorn meat.

I look at that guitar, knowing that I don't bond with teles nor do I need another guitar at all, and I WANT it.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:40 am
Jaguar018 wrote:

D

Hummm...less Satie?

I know! Eno and Debussy!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri May 18, 2018 9:12 am

sunburster wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:12 pm
Jaguar018 wrote:
Despite multiple attempts,I have never managed to bond with a Tele
Same story for me. I think I finally give up on Teles, they just aren't for me. Even a well-made AV64 couldn't win me over on Teles, so I sold it off a few months back. I do not miss it.

I do really like the look of this Hahn, though. I've never tried a Tele from a company other than Fender.
Aside from Syd, the Paisley Telecaster, which is a sentimental favorite, all of my favorite Telecasters are made by someone other than Fender. Even my ostensibly MIJ 1986 69RI Thinline has been kitbashed. The only original Fender bits are the body and neck plate.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:01 am

I think I have mentioned that eight years ago or so my wife and I explored the option to have him to play at our wedding. The cost was more than we could afford, but he was really cool about it.

Most of the time when I watch telecaster masters play with skills, technique, and tricks I could never dream of I just sort of watch from a safe distance where even I *could* play that well I'd not want to be such a hot dog playing nebbish show-off tunes. Jim Campilongo is one of those hot dogs that plays and sounds so good that I'd love to have his skills. He is a hot dog made of unicorn meat.

I look at that guitar, knowing that I don't bond with teles nor do I need another guitar at all, and I WANT it.

Wow! That would have been so very wonderful if he could have played at your wedding. Y'all have exceptional taste.

For my first wedding, we got a cover band from Lake City, MN. :D

1. Mummmmm, unicorn hotdog.

2. Jim is one of those guys who only uses his powers for good. To me, he's the Nels Cline of the Telecaster. (BTW, he and Nels do a duet on Jim's new live album: Live At Rockwood Music Hall Nyc)

3. Maybe it's because I've got mine top-loaded, but it's got midrange timbres that jump out; it's an electric version of my Waterloo WL-12. Both are very basic, stripped-down instruments where you can feel the grain against your hand (not on the back of the Hahn's neck- it's polished smooth) and both have an expressive vocal quality. The top-loader is more slinky and reminds me of Nelvis and my JM Jag.

4. Neither Chihoe nor Jim are paying me to say any of this, nor did I get a discount.

5. A Hahn Model C is less expensive than a Fender AVRI, or whatever they're calling them now.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 18, 2018 9:54 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 am

SAVE THE UNICORNS!*

D

*unless it's those ones that look like fucking hippopotamuses I'm seeing everywhere. Mass extinction event for unicornpotamuses needed ASAP.
Are you loathsome tonight?

Chew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chew » Fri May 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Really great! This is a fantastic value. Enjoy!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri May 18, 2018 4:06 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:54 am
Maggieo wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 am

SAVE THE UNICORNS!*

D

*unless it's those ones that look like fucking hippopotamuses I'm seeing everywhere. Mass extinction event for unicornpotamuses needed ASAP.
The other night I heard a piece on the World Service that hippos were killing fish downriver from them, thanks to their enormous pools of hippo shit.

Fucking hippos.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri May 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Chew wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:19 pm
Really great! This is a fantastic value. Enjoy!
Thanks! I am enjoying it very much.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:19 am

So, you know how they say that a Tele is "unforgiving" and "the most honest guitar?"

HOLY SHIT. This one has that in spades. I feel like I'm a beginner all over again. There are more clams in my den than at a 1970's Howard Johnson's on a holiday weekend.

I got it top-loaded and it doesn't feel, play, or sound quite like any of my other string-through Teles. Is that the big difference with which I'm dealing?

Here's a B&W photo of it.

Hahn Jim Campilongo Model C, May 12, 2018 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

And here's Nelvis. just because I love him:

Nelvis Is Taking A Breather. May 12, 2018 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr