So, I, uh... (NGD)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: So, I, uh... (NGD)

Post by Embenny » Tue May 08, 2018 6:25 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:49 am
mbene085 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:34 am
Cool, was worried I sounded a bit like a douche.
No, not at all, in fact when I woke up this morning I assumed that I had been some kind of douche and had been lecturing someone who knew a whole lot about me on the subject.

Then I re-read what I had written, and was relieved to think that it wasn't that bad and that I didn't come across as a bigger douche than I usually do, anyway.
No no no, not at all. I totally agree with your approach and think your description of Gibby acoustics to be spot-on.

Not every thread is a battle, Larry ;)
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue May 08, 2018 6:39 am

I certainly am having fun with acoustics, anyway. This has been a wonderful learning experience for me getting to explore the world of Gibsons and Martins a little deeper. I feel lucky that I am in a position where if I only could have any one of my acoustics, for whatever reason, I'd be just fine.

I might explore a little further some day.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue May 08, 2018 7:14 am

I actually feel the same ... I love my electrics, but I play the acoustics (on the couch or when writing stuff etc) 90% of the time.
Also I find ... if it works on the acoustic, almost certainly it'll work on the electric.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 am

That's kind of where I'm at also. I don't have a dedicated room for music, and so playing electric guitar is hard since the kids will be at the knobs and such.

So, acoustic guitar it is. That's not a bad thing, half the time I wonder why I even bother playing electric guitar. Of course I like it, but I've always felt able to express myself a little better on acoustic.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Tue May 08, 2018 12:23 pm

zhivago wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:12 pm
You need a good saddle break angle to begin with to get the top moving properly.
Interesting thing, break angle only has a small effect, just need enough to make sure the strings stay put and not so much that it puts undue stress on the front of the bridge that it breaks it. Height of the saddle over the soundboard is key here, the saddle acts as a lever against the sound board, the longer (taller) that lever is the more mechanical advantage it has to help the strings move the soundboard. The idea that it is break angle comes from the violin family of instruments where downward pressure is the main driving force, in a pinned bridge it is torsional.

One of those odd bits of information that smacks one in the face ever so often, I really thought I had it all figured.

Fun stuff!
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue May 29, 2018 8:48 am

I don't know how I missed this thread! Congrats, Larry!

And what a great discussion of acoustic guitar technique, set-up, and playing. Y'all are the best.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue May 29, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks Maggie! It's been a great discussion.

I am still in love with that J-45, by the way. It rings like a bell. It's really something.

But, that J-35 is turning out to be a real keeper, also. It records very well. It's so strong and crisp, and very dry in tone, that it seats easily. Microphones just seem to like it.

I've been recording some music with my new guitars and my new microphones- nothing much, but I got a Rode stereo mic, and a Shure SM-81 because I like those and an Audio-Technica AT4050. That one was new to me. I'm still learning the guitars and the mics but I'm happy with the sounds I've been getting.

And while these have been quick recordings, I have found it fun to double track the guitar parts, and the Dove has been my go to for that. Maybe I'll put something up in a bit.

Tomorrow there will be a new, uh... also.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Tue May 29, 2018 10:11 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:08 am

Tomorrow there will be a new, uh... also.
So, are you going for a Collings this time? :D

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue May 29, 2018 10:13 am

You know, I'm hearing good things...

But this isn't a guitar, though.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Wed May 30, 2018 4:25 am

Is it another kid? I'm looking forward to your NKD post! :D In all seriousness, these acoustic NGDs of yours have got me hankering for a parlor sized something or other. I'm torn between the Martin CEO-7 and any number of Waterloo guitars.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 30, 2018 4:39 am

Not a kid! It’s in the non-guitar section now.