My 2 Sheratons

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
greebo830
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

My 2 Sheratons

Post by greebo830 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:02 am

Picked up this little beauty from a local pawn shop for £180. She's a 2002 that the previous owner had changed a few things, pots & wiring upgraded & pickups swapped for a set of Epiphone "USA Elitist SR-50 & TR-50". Tailpiece removed and replaced with USA Bigsby B-7. I wasn't completely happy with the bridge so I had my tech replace it, he also rewired it again with Switchcraft switch and replaced one of the Spraque Hyrel Capacitors(it had drifted a lt). He also put on the "Duane Eddy" Tremelo arm Knobs swapped for gold reflectors and the "Custom Made" plaque.
The only possible change now is the machine heads, possibly to a set of imperial buttoned ones? and A custom made TRC.

Six days after I picked up the blonde I got this from the same shop. Virtually mint condition the missing reflector was in a bag withe paperwork, all paperwork and case included. setup to my liking straight of the case. Man I'm stoked.

So what can I say about the anniversary model.

First impressions that any serious player might take away could include: Those gold-plated Grover machineheads and elegant Epiphone Frequensator tailpiece offer a touch of refinement - good to see in a mid-priced instrument". It's lighter than a few other sheraton's I've tried recently including the natural one , the 1960s SlimTaper neck profile is a real joy to play "Gibson mini-humbuckers? Well, there's a bona-fide tone guarantor of vintage snap, spank and attitude"; and "Oh, yes, you can see there are decades of breeding, with pedigree Epiphone appointments such as the sloped dovewing headstock with leaf inlay."

It has a great spine, with a mahogany neck glued to a laminated maple body, and a rock-solid LockTone Tune-o-matic bridge holding everything in place.

It has a great playable feel, with its classically Gibson/Epiphone scale length and lithe neck accommodating to a fault.

Its voice is perfect - why more guitar aren't fitted with mini humbuckers I'll never know. The neck humbucker has a round, bell-like voice that’s not at all wooly—even with the tone rolled back significantly. It also exhibits the same capacity for harmonic detail that the bridge humbucker displays in spades, and feels alive and of a piece with the semi-hollow construction at lounge-jazz volumes—delivering silky-but-spectral, Wes Montgomery-style octave tones and mournful, mellow blues colours and yet let rip and it's certainly capable of of hard rock and southern rock & strong-armed blues without breaking a sweat.

From a personal point I love the period correct case istead of the plain black one. it's touches like this that add to the sense of flair.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My 2 Sheratons

Post by MechaBulletBill » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:31 am

That red one looks lovely. Was it a bargain like the natural one? I gotta start mooching round the Cash Converters again if they're moving nice Epis for <£200

greebo830
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by greebo830 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:01 pm

The red one cost me £400, but as I said it's in virtually mint condition and perfectly set up so was still a bargain at that price.

Pogue Mahone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pogue Mahone » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:32 am

Just saw Noel Gallagher not too long ago in Houston, Gem Archer played a red Sheraton that looked just like yours, sounded great! Would love to find one of those anniversary models!
"I sat for a while by the gap in the wall, found a rusty tin can and an old hurley ball"

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:34 pm

My local pawnshops only carry trash guitars for A+ prices...

This thread makes me very sad!

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:57 am

With "GIBSON" on the truss rod cover I would suspect the blonde one of being a Korean 1990s production - I had a vintage burst one (excellent neck too).

greebo830
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by greebo830 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:23 pm

The blonde one is a Korean 2002 model and plays like a dream. The red one is a 2013 ™50th Anniversary™ 1962 limited edition reissue and is flawless in both sound and looks.