NGD: Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal

Post by BlixaFan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:32 pm

So i did it guys. I went and got a metal guitar that will probably get me banned from the forum as this means I now have 3 strats :D :D

I've been doing a lot of work on working on new techniques and throwing in some variety in my playing, which ended up leading me down a huge early Van Halen kick. I sold my SG because I never played it, gave my first strat a makeover (single pickup black hardware sort of thing), and now I bought this Floyd Rose Humbucker equipped beast ;D

I gotta say, it is an extremely versatile guitar with a ton of different tone options.thanks to dual humbuckers (SD Distortions) and push pull taps. I compared the So-Cal to the San Dimas, and though I techincally prefer the aesthetics of the San Dimas, the pickups on this one won, and I like strats regardless, so I like it.

Unfortunately as a lefty, i'm given no color options other than black. but i suppose that's the most metal color anyway :P that and I like black with maple necks so again, no issue there.

the neck is one of the nicest fastest necks i've played, and i really like the raw almost unfinished feel of it.

Next thing i'm going to do is block the floyd half way (so i can only bend down). I've always done that with my strats, and it'll give me more tuning stability if i bust a string. that and i can install a d-tuna so i can drop d without having to loosen the locking nut. ;D

here's two pics of it on its own, and one with the other black strats in the family.
this also means all my electrics are Fenders now.

i await my OSG ban now :D :D :D

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal

Post by HNB » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Looks hot!

(I have like eight strats atm......)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:56 pm

So dope! Floyds kinda irritate me in real life, but in theory I’m a fan. I still love the southern Cali superstrat aesthetic, even with my ‘80s ptsd. Once the true Strat body dimensions get changed, my love kinda falls off, so yours is totally +++. :-*

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 pm

If I ever bought a Floyd guitar it would pretty much be that.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:50 am

I totally agree with marqueemoon.
This guitar is the opposite of what I think of when I read "Floyd Rose", i.e. tasteful and understated.

Have you ever considered something like this:

That might get you banned for real.
Doug
@dpcannafax

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:25 pm

well i must say, i am very pleasantly surprised by the positive responses :D thanks guys! it's a really cool guitar. the floyd will take a little bit of getting used to but i don't see it being anything major. maybe a little bit of a pain to restring, but i think half of that will go away once i have it blocked from bending up.
i think the guitar is very tasteful in terms of design, as it's basically just a black strat with humbuckers and a FR. it's not too flashy (though if they'd offered flashy colors to lefties, i'd probably get something bright haha).

so here's a question! I plan on getting the d-tuna, as i am a big drop d player. now, the d-tuna comes in 4 colors, and there are 2 that i am considering. I am thinking either black, which will blend in completely with the guitar, or i am thinking red, as a tiny little accent on an otherwise fully black guitar.
thoughts?

this is how the red one would look on a black guitar