NGD: Pan/Univox Hi-Flier

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Pan/Univox Hi-Flier

Post by StevenO » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:28 pm

MKR wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:31 pm
wow what a score!

I have to ask which shop did you get this in? (im a toronto guy as well).
Thanks! And... No problem! Value Village at Markham and Lawrence, in Scarborough. They overcharge for their shit records, but you can sometimes find stuff like this. And by sometimes, I mean that this is the only time this has happened to me and I go to Value Villages all the time.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:06 pm

StevenO wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks! And... No problem! Value Village at Markham and Lawrence, in Scarborough. They overcharge for their shit records, but you can sometimes find stuff like this. And by sometimes, I mean that this is the only time this has happened to me and I go to Value Villages all the time.
Value village? that's crazy. The odd times i see music stuff at a value village it's something like an affinity strat or a denver acoustic for $125. i pop into them every now and then. sometimes i'll find some fred perrys or some cool retro sports jerseys, but usually my searches come up empty. I remember hitting up value villages in the late 90s and you would always find good stuff.

I tip my hat to you.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:59 pm

I get A LOT of stuff from Value Village, mostly records and the odd pair of Alan Edmonds or what have you. I have bought a slew of keyboards too.

But yeah, first time finding anything particularly good, gear-wise.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:57 pm

Wow, great score, congrats! :-*
That clip sounds awesome, you're making me want to get a phase I/II now (mine is a phase III with the humbuckers).

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Hail the nature gods, that's some beautiful guitar playing and a fantastic bargain. I'm really glad it found its way to you.

Really cool that it's branded with a wee Pan, I always keep an eye out for paintings of Pan. We've a watercolour by a very minor pre Raphaelite of Pan playing his pipes to a couple of mermaids (bonus mythical creature multiplier) and a few other more amateur ones and a Pan guitar is really appealing.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:34 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:57 pm
Wow, great score, congrats! :-*
That clip sounds awesome, you're making me want to get a phase I/II now (mine is a phase III with the humbuckers).
Thanks, Jonas! I appreciate the kind words.

I wonder how it compares to your Phase III? What are the frets like? Neck profile? I'm not sure if mine has had fretwork done to it in the past, but the frets are really nice just a bit low for my liking. Works perfectly for Baritone use where there is less tendency for bending strings. The neck itself is thin and comfortable and also kind of flexible so it's easy to do vibrato just by wiggling the neck, which I love. It sits perfectly in the neck pocket too, which is something that I've heard people complain about with these.

The pickups sound not TOO bad. I dig them. Not very P90 like, but that's the closest I'd say they sound like, in an underwound kind of way.
shadowplay wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 pm
Hail the nature gods, that's some beautiful guitar playing and a fantastic bargain. I'm really glad it found its way to you.

Really cool that it's branded with a wee Pan, I always keep an eye out for paintings of Pan. We've a watercolour by a very minor pre Raphaelite of Pan playing his pipes to a couple of mermaids (bonus mythical creature multiplier) and a few other more amateur ones and a Pan guitar is really appealing.

D
Thanks, David! Glad you like it. :)

And you're right! The Pan sticker is kind of cool. Makes it slip under the radar more, I think. Odd choice for a brand, though. I think they were the Univox rebrand for the Canadian market. I've seen a lot of Pan guitars and basses over the years. You'll have to have a few of these stickers made up so you can replace all of your guitars decals with them. Should cover up those nasty cheap-looking Gretsch logos quite nicely. ;)
Last edited by StevenO on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:35 am

I found another little clip from the other night when I fixed the pickup. I haven't played the guitar since so I don't have anything better recorded but hopefully I'll get to it when I can. Right now I'm trying to drudge through a bit of chest infection...

Anyways, less talk more rock:

https://youtu.be/4TjO4I1_LqM

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:06 am

Sounds good

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:45 pm

StevenO wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:34 am
I wonder how it compares to your Phase III? What are the frets like? Neck profile? I'm not sure if mine has had fretwork done to it in the past, but the frets are really nice just a bit low for my liking. Works perfectly for Baritone use where there is less tendency for bending strings. The neck itself is thin and comfortable and also kind of flexible so it's easy to do vibrato just by wiggling the neck, which I love. It sits perfectly in the neck pocket too, which is something that I've heard people complain about with these.
That's exactly how I would describe the neck on mine. I find it very comfortable to play, but it definitely takes a few minutes to readjust if I've played one of my Fender style necks. But these days I mostly play the Hi-Flier, my Guyatone LG250-T, and my Yamaha SA20, all of which have slimmer and narrower necks with low-ish frets. I do prefer a full Fender C-shape, but these guitars just have so much personality, and it's not a huge deal for me.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 am

Interesting! It really is a comfortable profile. I usually find thin Fender necks to be a little cramp-inducing on my hands, but this one doesn't seem to do that at all. I can't really think of another brand's neck that would compare to it, all I know is that it feels comfortable and well-made. Much more comfortable than my Harmony and Silvertone necks with their narrow, no-taper baseball bat shape. Quite surprising, actually.

I played this guitar a lot last night and I have to say, it really is quite a beautiful sound. Quite clear and warm. I think my favourite setting is the "both-on" setting. I'm glad I have it! :)

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:42 am

I just looked these up. :-[ :blush: :derp:

You did get a great deal - especially if this turns into a very usable instrument for you.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:23 am

that second clip is great, mr sandman.

i love mine, even though i typically don't get along with HBs. They are really different in feel, though. the neck on mine is shallow, but wide, and the body is barely an inch thick. It's amazing it stays flat.
I hope you keep that guitar. I had one other, similar to yours, sold it, and will regret it forever.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:14 am

kosmonautmayhem wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:42 am
I just looked these up. :-[ :blush: :derp:

You did get a great deal - especially if this turns into a very usable instrument for you.
I didn't even know they were being sold for so much. I don't think they're worth $1000+, at least with stock hardware, but they're good instruments. I figured that I could at least get twice as much for mine, if it sucked.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:19 am

More apparently. :mellow:

These always seemed like thrift and pawn guitars - couple hundred max for one. At least thats how i remember them.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:38 am

Me too. And I guess, in my case, they sometimes still are... ;)

I have no idea if they are going for more than a grand, but people are trying to get that for them... No thanks. :-X