New ASATs Month

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New ASATs Month

Post by sirspens » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:06 pm

I’ve owned a series of Telecasters and other knockoffs over the years. I’ve always enjoyed the tone, especially of the bridge pickup, but never been happy with the quality. Two features of the Telecaster have always bothered me:

1) The Telecaster “baseball bat” neck is super annoying to me, especially as someone who loves Jazzmasters and is used to very slim necks.
2) This is kind of petty, but I fucking hate the design of the Telecaster headstock. It. Is. Terrible.

I have loved every G&L I have ever played, not to mention the hook design of the headstock is a thousand times better than Telecaster.

I first bought an ASAT Classic with MFD pickups. While I found the bridge pickup to be a bit on the dark side for my taste, I also found it to be incredibly unique, giving me a meaty sound I couldn’t get out of any other guitar I’d ever played. The neck pickup is the tonal opposite of the Telecaster neck pickup. It is bright and chimy while remaining full. Honestly, similar to a JM neck pickup, with just a touch more heft.

So… I bought two more ASATs, the two I have kept.

The ASAT Classic Alnico has all the great bridge sound you love from Telecasters, with maybe a bit more grunt when dirty. Oh. So. Nice. The neck pickup is about 80% as muddy as the average Telecaster I have played. Still gives you that great tonal distinction but without sacrificing clarity.

The ASAT Special, with its Jumbo MFD pickups is absolutely wonderful with its wide wind and vertical springing magnetic field. They have the power and ferocity of a P90 with the clarity of a JM pickup, leaving behind any trace of “ice pick” that a JM can bring.

The build on these is unequalled in import guitars. The Classic Alnico is swamp ash with a natural finish. The Special is mahogany with a translucent Irish Ale finish.

Beautiful to play. Beautiful to hear. Beautiful to look at.

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New ASATs Month

Post by guitarsammy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 pm

Are these "Tribute" series, then?

I just got a Tribute Fallout and am really impressed with its quality. It was supposed to be a backup guitar to something much more expensive. Within two weeks, I've sold the more expensive guitar and the Fallout is now my main player.

It easily surpasses any Squier I've owned, and is essentially very similar in fit and feel to, say, a Fender Japan guitar (complete with slightly shoddy switch and pots!). Fantastic value for money.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:24 pm

Yeah. If I forgot to mention, they are Tribute Series.

The Fallout (I have one and really like it) is like the stepchild of the Tribute line. It is the only Tribute guitar I have that (A) doesn't have the same pickups as the American made guitars and (B) has slightly shoddy switches and pots. The switches and pots on these have all been fantastic.

Which is to say, if you are impressed with your Fallout Tribute, you'll be even more blown away with other offerings from the Tribute Series.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 pm

I've been missing my semi-hollow Tribute ASAT Special ever since I sold it like a dumbass five years ago. It will be mine again someday.
Local milk person

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:22 am

sirspens wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:24 pm

The Fallout (I have one and really like it) is like the stepchild of the Tribute line. It is the only Tribute guitar I have that (A) doesn't have the same pickups as the American made guitars and (B) has slightly shoddy switches and pots. The switches and pots on these have all been fantastic.

Which is to say, if you are impressed with your Fallout Tribute, you'll be even more blown away with other offerings from the Tribute Series.
Actually, since 07/2015, the USA and Tribute Fallouts have the same pickups: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewt ... ?f=12&t=38

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:00 pm

guitarsammy wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:22 am
sirspens wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:24 pm

Actually, since 07/2015, the USA and Tribute Fallouts have the same pickups: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewt ... ?f=12&t=38
Oh cool. Good on G&L.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:54 am

ASATs are awesome, G&L are awesome, the Tribute line is really well done and the US versions are flawless.

They used to have bad resale, but it's not so bad these days. They seem to be getting more popular as a brand in general and owners are capable of getting more value back on resales.

I have a Tribute ASAT Special and it's great. Sounds fantastic, but it is heavy. I have an older Tribute with the ugly black decal on the headstock.
Fallouts are great. My buddy has 2 and recently went out and found an old SC-2, which is what the Fallout was based on (specifically Robert Poss of Band of Susans' modded SC-2s).

I've always liked the G&L headstock. I especially like the headstock that is on the Fallout and the one they're using on the Doheny (which seems to be very close to the old Skyhawk/Nighthawk/Original S-500 headstock)
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

paulnewman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnewman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:55 am

Wow, I've never had the opportunity to play an ASAT, or any G&L for that matter, but based on your description that ASAT Special sounds amazing!!