a space for bass?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

a space for bass?

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:36 pm

I guess I'm lucky that I don't play bass as often as guitar. I just have the one, a '72 Rickenbacker 4001, but I've got half a dozen guitars and I'm sure I'd have that many bass if I could! How do bass players make do with just one?

Saw a Danelectro Longhorn bass getting thumped last night and it looked and sounded very cool, which prompted this whole thing:
I'd get a Jazz bass of course, and a Gibson Thunderbird-love those, probably an up right, got the Rick already, the Longhorn, I like the look of the Jag bass and I'd have to have a Bass VI! Then there are P-bass, Beatle bass, Gretsch Hollowbody bass...

I ask again, how do bassists get by with just one?!?!
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: a space for bass?

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:13 pm

When I played bass regularly, I didn't. My main bass was a '74 P bass, but I also had a '79 fretless P bass, a '72 Tele bass, a 60s Burns Vistasonic bass and a double bass. I played a Jag bass a few weeks ago and quite liked it, except I don't really need a bass right now and it was pretty pricey. I'd love to get my hands on a Reverend bass, actually.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:08 pm

I use a modest two, a '73(ish) Jazz Bass and a weird Pearl bass that's basically a clone of an Epihone Genesis. It's probably from the early '80s. The jazz was without a working neck pickup for years until Sookwinder gave me a set of pickups as one of his first acts on this forum. It's nice to have access to them both... the Jazz is, well, a Jazz...the Pearl is a set-neck mahogany miracle with nice-sounding humbucking pickups.

Before I had the '73, I had a nice JV-series Squier Jazz, which I sold to get the '73. That was a nice thing as well, and as always I regret selling it (though I don't regret getting the '73 in its place).

Here's an old pic I posted in a "collection" thread on the FDP once. The '73 is on the left, the Pearl is lying on the floor.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:47 pm

Nice pic, doc... and great collection!

But it looks like someone peed in your coffee pot.

Maybe it's a scientist experiment?    ???
Q. Are we not men?

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:10 pm

i haven't had a "guitar" in my house for almost two years!
:o

i'm still frustrated over not owning a Jaguar Bass...

i have a '55 replica single coil pbass... warmoth parts... before the Sting, before USA CG had started...

i got a MIJ '62 RI Jazz off ebay and put an Allparts block&binding neck on it, SD Antiquity II's
Reranch Fiesta Red that i did myself...
LOVE this bass
i almost prefer it to any VI!!!

i had a '66 UK Precision replica, but sold the slab body (couldn't get used to it)
now i need to finish another USA CG standard Pbass body in reranch WhiteBlonde so i can put my beautiful Mark Jenny finished neck and a gold guard on it
so i can call it a '59 replica
:)

and i also have the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature Bass rescue
got the neck and body off ebay, installed a Kent Armstrong pickup

i'd like to have a 5string Jazz to put VI strings on it...

never tried a Ric
afraid i'd have to buy one if i did...

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:11 pm

I got 4 basses... a Jazz, Stingray 5, Bongo 5 and one of the lower spec Vantage basses from the 80s that Dad picked up from a pawn shop for cheap, which had a DiMarzio pickup and was spraypainted black, he refinished it in natural + stain. Technically I have 5, the fifth being my Yamaha RBX thingy which I started on, it now has piccolo bass strings (EADG guitar style) and we call it "the Treble". My favourites are the Bongo and the Jazz, the Ray didn't get much use for ages because it had some flats on it which I didn't really dig and I never got around to getting new strings for it, now it's getting more use though.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:19 pm

fullerplast wrote: But it looks like someone peed in your coffee pot.
That's liquorice tea, thank you. I broke my coffee pot, so I have to make my coffees a cup at the time...

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:24 pm

"never tried a Ric
afraid i'd have to buy one if i did..."  Probably :P

I should have known ya'll would have more than one bass sitting around...guess now I have carte blanche to get another ;D
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:55 am

basses are just guitars  (don't hit me for saying that) and just like guitars each year, model, variation has their own sonic differences. 

My 73 Jazz (RW neck) sounds totally different to my 75 jazz (maple neck)  and depending upon the track being recorded we choose one or the oither

or the bass vi

or the 5 string CS jazz

horses for courses
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:02 am

I only have one bass right now, but then again, I am an awful bassist anyway.... Ive had some cool stuff in the past though, 73 J-bass with 79 p-bass neck, and a gretsch country club bass, the long scale one, sold al that years ago, ...

My only remaining one is a 70s Univox high flyer, green with rosewood fretboard, its short scale, which I find I prefer to fender scale. Its got a decent sound, I would love to get a rickenbacker someday, or a hofner bass of some kind, verythin or beatle bass, that type of thing....
I have a japanese beatle bass copy thats painted and collaged and has no electronics (or frets!), but I dont consider it a bass as much as a wall decoration.
whats the story behind the rainbow necked strat Orang?

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:35 pm

burker wrote: whats the story behind the rainbow necked strat Orang?
Well, I once gave the singer of my previous band my '66 Firebird, because a) I never got on with that guitar, b) he's an awesome guitarist while I suck, and c) he didn't have a proper electric nor the cash to buy one. This strat was what he used before, pretty much in the state shown in the picture. He wanted to toss it out and left it at my place, so I guess it's mine now. It's an old Antoria, the neck is some crap replacement. I've always wanted to fix it up, but never got to it. The guitar has a minor claim to fame because it was once borrowed (from the support band) and played by Kurt Cobain during a Nirvana gig in the UK. I'm not much of a Cobain fan, but it's a funny detail, I guess.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:37 pm

I love that jazz bass, orang goreng.
I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes the walnut colour on guitars and basses.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:43 am

I like it on basses, but not on guitars, myself.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:53 am

StevenO wrote: I love that jazz bass, orang goreng.
I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes the walnut colour on guitars and basses.
i had a '74 tele deluxe with that finish. it looked great.

i only have one bass, an early 80s squier P-bass. i love it to death. i´ve been trying to find another bass that could suit me as well as the squier does, but i have had no luck the last 6 years. i´ve always loved the look of ric 4001s (the best looking bass ever IMO), but i´m not too crazy about their neck shapes.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:56 am

StevenO wrote: I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes the walnut colour on guitars and basses.
Yeah, it's like the ultimate '70s colour, I guess. A lot of those "refinished in poo brown" JMs/jags seem to go after the same effect, but on this bass it's the original finish. The bass is SO '70s that you can only play it wearing bell bottoms. FWIW, I only paid (the equivalent of) about  540 euros for that one (in the shop where our member Vinkie works), perhaps because it's an unpopular colour. Ah, the nineties again.
Last edited by Orang Goreng on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.