New PRS Silver Sky

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New PRS Silver Sky

Post by InLimbo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 am

When it comes to the music discussion, I'm admittedly a total leech. I contribute, like, never, and if/when I do, it's about the equivalent of "I like stuff!". OSG has been a total godsend, and I can't make the same claim that Jaguar018 made - there are total umbrellas of music that I'd never known existed had it not been for this place.

The modern post primer thread along with the hautological thread are two that I owe so much to.

Shadowplay, don't ever fuck off. Please.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:20 am
Good for him! Screw the h8rz right John? I think the guy is doing all right for himself.
Absolutely.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:20 am

I like, or used to like, a lot of the gold-standard OSG and classic rawk bands that OSG might roll its collective eyes about. So what? Why is that sort of thing so hard to deal with? I can assure you that if I tell Shadowplay that one of his favorite all-time bands, like Coil, doesn't really 'do it' for me-- that he's not going to cry any tears in his pillow tonight
I cried all night long, I had to wring my pillow out in the morning. HOW DARE YOU!

You know talking broadly in this thread and looking at higgsblossom talking about hard rock in another thread got me thinking about the whys and wherefores of some of the disdain and dislike some people myself included feel towards the go USA bloozing and rawking.

I've never been into either, I'm a little north of 50 and I've personally had a whole life of that sort of stuff dominating guitar discussion, especially how meedly shit seems to supercede good records and in the case of heritage rockers, music discussion. I'm old enough to have heard it all before ad nauseum, with bells on and I'd say the same about a bunch of OSG magic totems too. I like a good debate and I like a discussion but a lot of it is an ouroboros of the same old stuff and I hold my paws up to being part of that too because my own ouroboros is me hating fucking rawk and blooze and all the piggery that surrounds it. To be fair guitar culture is still pretty disco sucks and ultra conservative and I guess it hates me right back for balance.

I guess myself and a few others get a bit carried away when we yet again see this sort of discussion dominating, when from where I certainly sit none of them seem to back it up with great albums, which for me is the whole point of music. I tried to focus on the daft guitar earlier on and the 'design' aspect ;) because I think design matters but sadly celebrity matters more.

When you play guitar and have no interest in Sebastian Von Widdlewang's music it gets really fucking wearing to see the amount of coverage it gets and how it dominates everything from the shop experience, to demos, to cringey blues daddy pedal naming and marketing. For me it's like the England Football team, or the Royal Family or anything that just dominates news...something that it's all easy to hate.

Thankfully unlike the royals or the England team it's pretty easy to go through life without hearing your Mayals' and your Bonamassa's.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:45 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 am
Thankfully unlike the royals or the England team it's pretty easy to go through life without hearing your Mayals' and your Bonamassa's.

D
I have to hear covers of SRV's "pride and joy" almost every time I go somewhere where live music is played. I've even heard it in the middle of the day when I delivered something near Bourbon Street. I've intentionally avoided Bonamassa, but I can't escape Stevie Ray

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:45 am
shadowplay wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 am

D
I have to hear covers of SRV's "pride and joy" almost every time I go somewhere where live music is played. I've even heard it in the middle of the day when I delivered something near Bourbon Street. I've intentionally avoided Bonamassa, but I can't escape Stevie Ray

Here I guess it's hard to escape Oasis, though not so much the music these days more the Punch and Judy act.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:55 am

Fuck I hate Stevie Ray Vaughn. "Pride and Joy" is one of his worse songs, or maybe it just seems that way since I've been successful enough at avoiding his music that I can only name like a few songs. "House is a'Rockin'" I think is one. Some Jimi Hendrix cover. Yawn.

Oh, "The Sky Is Crying" I seem to recall. Hated that song.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:16 am

I'd prefer SRV or Bonamassa to Oasis. But I've made no bones about detesting Oasis

John Mayer not so much. I listened to one of his albums and it was shite so I haven't bothered again. I'm not interested enough in the PRS guitar enough to look up what it looks like. Although obviously interested enough to post in this thread.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 am

Am I the only person who does not know any SRV songs? When you guys say Pride and Joy, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Also, people mention Mustang Sally a lot. I don't know what that is either.

There must have been an advantage growing up in a country colonized by the British. I grew up in the 80s listening to Top of the Pops and singing along to Alison Moyet.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 am
I envy you. While I always leaned toward the 80s British offerings, I always felt like I was being hit over the head with the likes of whatever hair metal band was en vogue, which always went hand in hand with people like Santana, Satriani, SRV, Malmsteen, et al. I fucking hate all that stuff with a deep, deep passion.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:55 am

Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:54 am

David Bowie on SRV: "[He] completely floored me. I probably hadn't been so gung-ho about a guitar player since seeing Jeff Beck with his band the Tridents."

SRV on Bowie: "To tell you the truth, I wasn't very familiar with David's music when he asked me to play on the sessions. ... David and I talked for hours and hours about our music, about funky Texas blues and its roots. I was amazed at how interested he was."

So there's that, I guess. https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/dav ... cat-people

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 pm

I love the Let's Dance Album, but SRV's guitar work on it is just a feature. The solo on China Girl is cool enough, but it's like EVH on Beat It - it was a good solo on a song that would've been good with or without it.

Not sure, and it's generalizing about tastes, but I don't think Bowie's crowd in the early 80's would've cared to see SRV's band open for the Let's Dance Tour. They, like me, probably would've been ok with him as long as he was playing Bowie's stuff. Miss you, Bowie.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:17 am

Telliot wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:35 pm
Not sure if that’s directed at me, but I feel like I’ve been put in the position of defending John Fucking Mayer. I did not defend him, nor do I wish to defend him. I do not like John Mayer, Sam-I-Am.
i feel like that in another thread. ugh. :D
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:25 am

Mayer has been playing with the Grateful Dead guys (minus Phil Lesh)...i like most of the new Dead stuff...with other guitar players i'm sure some of you hate (trey, warren haynes and other lesser known-but good-guys).

but i can't listen to Grateful Mayer for more than a minute or two.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:59 am

killer thread!
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com