New PRS Silver Sky

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New PRS Silver Sky

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:06 am

Oh and while I'm on there's been a few comments about the quality of posting in this thread along the lines of; 'Man this thread is something else', 'killer thread'and about it being 'cringey' and all this would be absolutey fine if any of these folk were actually posting material of immense quality themselves

I get a feeling that this forum could be doing with some quality threads started by these people, who cleary know shit from shine and perhaps some Oscar Wilde level posts of gold standard banter brushed with the diamond dust of their wisdom will raise the tone.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:20 am

StevenO wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:45 am
StevenO wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:16 am
This thread sounds like the kind of conversations I had with people in high school. Cringey.
Still.

And yet I can't look away...
Amazing isn't it LOL
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:25 am

leokula wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:20 am
StevenO wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:45 am
StevenO wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:16 am
This thread sounds like the kind of conversations I had with people in high school. Cringey.
Still.

And yet I can't look away...
Amazing isn't it LOL
To be fair pal I've cringed at most every post you've ever made here and you're magnificent collection spectacularly unfunny student memes.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:06 am

That Yngwie with the Japanese orchestra is one of the funniest things, though. I mean there's moments where you can see the orchestra playing but you can't hear a thing except some fat asshole spewing guitar everywhere.

Frankly, it's something that probably all of us have experienced at some point or another just on a bigger scale. I would recommend everyone watch that as an example of what not to do. On a lot of levels, it's a good example of what not to do.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:09 am

Grey wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:12 pm
budda12ax7 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:43 pm
Yngwie plays with the Japanese Philharmonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9HTATjVcO0
Great demonstration of everything wrong with guys like Malmsteen who can't shut the fuck up long enough for anyone in the audience to appreciate the rhythm or tempo of a song. Every moment has to be filled with superfluous "shredding" aided by unnnecessary fills and frills between bars because god forbid he suffer a single moment of silence.
This is exactly what the problem with shredder types. They don't fucking stop to let the song breathe at all and god forbid they space out their lines and melodies.
I could listen to Dave Gilmour solo all day even when he was being a showboat, because even when he was way too into it, he still allowed TIME and SPACE.

Some shredders do allow time and space. Yngwie isn't one of them. He never stops. Music to these dudes is like a form of voyeuristic masturbation.
What really bugs me is when somebody who is a fan of shredder music will not give an ounce of respect to a player who does play with time, tone and space like John Scofield or players that play alternative tunings or anything really outside of shredding.
They seem to think that the shredder guys are actually the best musicians. Music isn't a contest or a race. Speed isn't a qualifier for great musicianship, nor is non stop notes and soloing.
It boggles my mind.

Want to talk shredders? Django fucking Reinhardt. Two and a 1/3 fingers. Insane skill and... time and space!!!

I find Yngwie's music boring and emotionless. I've tried to listen to it, but it reminds me of Pat Metheny in a lot of ways. Metheny isn't a shred god, but he has a thing for being way too cerebral sometimes and those pieces are his pieces I can't really listen to. It's interesting what he's doing, but I don't feel it at all and that doesn't keep my attention. Yngwie, unlike Metheny, doesn't have other styles mixed in like Metheny does. At least if you find a Metheny track too cerebral, you can switch to the next track and hear something majestic or even groovy.
You can't do that with Yngwie. If you get bored of the endless noodling and sterile non stop shredding, you just have to walk away altogether. He doesn't do anything else. Sad.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:22 am

I was going to write a thing about how this John Mayer Strat derivative is a good indicator of not only the exhaustion of guitar design but also the exhausted state of guitar based music and rock and roll in general. But then the thread got all mean and shit so just put me down for having said something bitter and controversial and interesting and accept that you would have liked it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 am

I have no real opinion on John Mayer because I never heard his music and everything I heard about him kinda turns me off. That guitar is a fucking travesty, etc.

But can I just use this thread to talk about how I hate that technical skill is something to be admired in the quality of music? It makes my skin crawl. It's indicative of how everything needs to be a fucking competition, when art should be free from that nonsense. 'I can play 500 notes under a minute, you can only play 499 so I'm a better artist'.... This isn't a fucking sport, is it?

It seems to be especially prevalent in rock music, which is pretty hilarious since rock music in its core is pretty fucking simple. As far as I know, classical and jazz musicians don't wank about how fast they can play something, and if there are, those people would mostly be outliers.

OSG is refreshingly free of that bullshit compared to other guitar forums, which is why I keep coming back to here. People can be a bit mean about how they say things, but somebody making fun of some grammy award making musician you like isn't an attack on your character. ;) No need to get pissed off about it.
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:05 am

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 am
A thousand times, yes.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:09 am

Since we're bashing musicians, I think John Scoffield and Pat Matheny are boring as fuck. I like jazz, but their music blows...Wes Montgomery can suck it too, I'd rather listen to Santana than those guys.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:16 am

I watched a video with John Mayer talking about this guitar because I honestly knew nothing about it, nor do I care, and he basically says "I know it's a strat, that's what it's supposed to be, but it has a few differences that I wanted done to it that Fender wasn't willing to do for me, so I asked PRS and they did it".

That's basically what should have been the beginning and end of this whole controversy regarding the guitar.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:44 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:09 am
Since we're bashing musicians, I think John Scoffield and Pat Matheny are boring as fuck. I like jazz, but their music blows...Wes Montgomery can suck it too, I'd rather listen to Santana than those guys.
Really? At least with most 'jazz' you can kind of tune it out. Santana playing "Smooth" is one of my circle of hell songs.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:18 am

My only exposure to Pat Metheny is his work with Steve Reich on Electric Counterpoint, and for that he gets an eternal pass to do whatever the fuck he wants, he's cool with me.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 am

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
somebody making fun of some grammy award making musician you like isn't an attack on your character. ;) No need to get pissed off about it.
I think the only people in this thread that are pissed are the ones bashing at other genres and musicians after someone showed them a guitar LOL

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:21 am

leokula wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 am
Whiny Minotaur wrote:
somebody making fun of some grammy award making musician you like isn't an attack on your character. ;) No need to get pissed off about it.
I think the only people in this thread that are pissed are the ones bashing at other genres and musicians after someone showed them a guitar LOL
Why not though? The only reason that these boards exist is so that people can share opinions and talk about things. There's only so many times people can talk about how dumb that guitar is (or how you think it isn't dumb). It's also not some unprovoked response when the guitar in question is a signature by a highly famous musician. Me personally, I found the following conversation much more interesting than that guitar could ever be until it devolved into complaining about people just talking about things.

Again, people tend to use strong language but some dudes on a message board talking shit about a genre or an incredibly famous and established musician hurts no one.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 am

I was just commenting on who's pissed and who isn't, I don't have a problem with internet bashers, man, each to its own.