New PRS Silver Sky

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New PRS Silver Sky

Post by danbind » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:38 am

BlueSparkle wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:16 am
mediocreplayer wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:02 am
kdanie wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 am

Did I mention that Queen SUCKS big hairy donkey..... that one is for Larry.
I hate Queen! Probably the second shittiest major band after Led Zeppelin.
3rd... you forgot KISS 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
According to somebody on the internet, EVERY band sucks. Perhaps a good thread would be "All the Reasons Why the Beatles Suck", or "Why Your Favorite Band, the One That Gave Meaning to Your Existence, Actually Sucks".

Agreed on Kiss, though. Not much redeeming quality there. But hey, to each his own.
remember / to kick it over

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:54 am

Led Zeppelin, Queen, and Kiss are all better than The Who.

I still like some Led Zeppelin songs. *ducks*

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 am

danbind wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:38 am
BlueSparkle wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:16 am
mediocreplayer wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:02 am

I hate Queen! Probably the second shittiest major band after Led Zeppelin.
3rd... you forgot KISS 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
According to somebody on the internet, EVERY band sucks. Perhaps a good thread would be "All the Reasons Why the Beatles Suck", or "Why Your Favorite Band, the One That Gave Meaning to Your Existence, Actually Sucks".

Agreed on Kiss, though. Not much redeeming quality there. But hey, to each his own.
I actually have a ton of respect for Gene Simmons. All popular music is about making money, but he's always been very shrewd about making sure it ends up in his pockets as much as possible, rather than in management's. There's a certain integrity about straight up saying, "I'm here to get paid," instead of pretending you're an artiste when you're just there to get paid.

Musically, I believe in the polar opposite - directly supporting indie artists who are making their music their way (and typically struggling financially because of it), but like I said, at least he calls it like it is. He's literally happy to sell a rock to anyone stupid enough to buy one, without any smoke and mirrors about it.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:25 am

... plus Destroyer is a killer album. Forget about the rest, though.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:22 pm

You guys that don't like Queen are a bunch of homos.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:14 pm

As long as this conversation is evolving into hating on massively popular bands, I'll take part.
I feel like Queen and Zeppelin aren't bad, just overrated. If you want a truly terrible group, you have to look at the Eagles.
Doug
@dpcannafax

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:39 am

Fac 50 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 am

I make a point of checking out as much as possible and I've even taken note of recommendations from 'civilians*' along the way. (*unnecessarily elitist term IMHO)
Wasn't intended to be 'elitist' merely realistic and pragmatic. Most every music related professional* and social interaction I've ever had with people who aren't music obsessives has been a waste of both our times and I generally prefer to talk about something else we both can enjoy. I dread being asked what music I like because I just get blank faces and find it hard to say anything nice back when someone tells me they love a right load of pish and to be honest I'm doing them a favour because once you wind me up on music I'll probably not shut up until everyone has to go home.

I also make a point of checking out a lot of music but I almost never talk to folk who can recommend something I've not heard or don't already own.

It's the same with cars. I'm really not interested in talking about your car having wifi or what your white goods leasing deal is, I'm interested in whether you prefer Pininfarina, Touring or Zagato coach work on a Lancia and I fully accept that these sort of conversations are vanishingly rare and to be cherished.

D

*in a fairly art and style driven neuk
Are you loathsome tonight?

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:43 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:39 am
I'm interested in whether you prefer Pininfarina, Touring or Zagato coach work on a Lancia and I fully accept that these sort of conversations are vanishingly rare and to be cherished.

D
You know just to totall de-rail this thread, I've been sort of "learning" (if that's what you can even call it) about these older cars across the pond and I keep returning to this which at the time that I'm posting has 7-1/2 hours left. I can definitely see the appeal for something like this. Thought I don't know what about this one makes it Zagato versus the other two you mentioned.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 am

InLimbo wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:43 am
shadowplay wrote:
I'm interested in whether you prefer Pininfarina, Touring or Zagato coach work on a Lancia and I fully accept that these sort of conversations are vanishingly rare and to be cherished.

D
You know just to totall de-rail this thread, I've been sort of "learning" (if that's what you can even call it) about these older cars across the pond and I keep returning to this which at the time that I'm posting has 7-1/2 hours left. I can definitely see the appeal for something like this. Thought I don't know what about this one makes it Zagato versus the other two you mentioned.
The body is made by the coachbuilder Zagato, it's wee bit lighter than the standard Fulvia coupe body designed in house by Piero Castgnero which I own this Rallye 1.3S example of. During the 50's and 60's many Italian cars came with a variety of bodies from Different coachbuilders, either for racing or just for show.

The Zagato's are pretty cool and rare and until recently they were really underpriced compared to some dead ordinary everyman cars. The Zagato version of the Lancia Flavia is a car I desire heavily, it's weird and wonky in just the right way, though I've had to be content with owning the Pininfarina bodied Flavia Coupe.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:21 am

:-*
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:56 am

shadowplay wrote:

It's the same with cars. I'm really not interested in talking about your car having wifi or what your white goods leasing deal is, I'm interested in whether you prefer Pininfarina, Touring or Zagato coach work on a Lancia and I fully accept that these sort of conversations are vanishingly rare and to be cherished.
I'm lucky that I come from a car obsessed family (well father really, but it rubbed off on all of us to some extent), and even at work, our finance director and I have daily car and motorbike related conversations. He has pretty good taste in cars, but shite taste in music, in common with everybody I work with.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:22 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fac 50 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 am

I make a point of checking out as much as possible and I've even taken note of recommendations from 'civilians*' along the way. (*unnecessarily elitist term IMHO)
Wasn't intended to be 'elitist' merely realistic and pragmatic. Most every music related professional* and social interaction I've ever had with people who aren't music obsessives has been a waste of both our times and I generally prefer to talk about something else we both can enjoy. I dread being asked what music I like because I just get blank faces and find it hard to say anything nice back when someone tells me they love a right load of pish and to be honest I'm doing them a favour because once you wind me up on music I'll probably not shut up until everyone has to go home.

I also make a point of checking out a lot of music but I almost never talk to folk who can recommend something I've not heard or don't already own.
Yeah. I can relate to this for sure-- except that I don't talk about music in 'the real world' at all. :'( It's not exactly mind-blowing, but there are so many tiers to how people appreciate things, and it's pretty easy to figure out where a person is on the scale. The deeper you go, the more you realize you can go. I can't talk to very many people about music, and I don't even think of myself as particularly knowledgeable-- just sort of off in a corner somewhere.

It's not being an elitist. I don't think of my tastes as particularly refined, but just a bit more esoteric. When I find people that give a shit about some of my favorite bands it's pretty exciting.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:54 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:54 am
Led Zeppelin, Queen, and Kiss are all better than The Who.

I still like some Led Zeppelin songs. *ducks*
I also think there are people on here with no sense of humour. They didn't get my jib.

I've been a kiss fan since I was about 6. I first heard them in 1978.
I happen to like Queen, Led Zeppelin and the Beatles... Elvis is okay. I don't mind the Ventures or even the BeeGees.
and if I play Chopin or Crowded House, does that also imply I have no taste? Or that my taste in musuc sucks?

People who say some music or artist sucks are simply venting that it doesn't agree with their personal taste. It's more a poor reflection on themselves for not being able to discernably articulate why they have such a vilified loathing.
The 'agreeable median' between recognizing 'taste' is simply one of common interest. those outside the 'common interest' are deemed 'eclectic', or to have 'no taste'.

Sure... we all like to use the vernacular on occasion. Sometimes it is in jest - but to simply say a band or artist is shit or 'sucks' without example implies that they have no audible value. But to others.... maybe that isn't the case.

Now how this evolved from a discussion on the PRS guitar is to also state the obvious - the discussion has strayed more than a little.

I will add however, that whilst I am not a fan of John Mayer's musical genre, or his specific taste in guitars doesn't mean I discredit his music or talent.

I am guessing that the Paul Ripoff Stratocaster will amass a following based on the signing of JM as a brand ambassador / artiste. Much like SRV, Clapton, J.Macsis et al did for Fender, and Numerous artists have for other brands - Thinking of the (late) Tom Petty Rickenbacker, the (late) Chet Atkins Gretsch, the (late) Malcolm Young's Gretsch and Gibsons, ... BB King.... etc etc ad infinitum.... even Brian May is on the bandwagon, producing his own reproduction red specials through his collaborative.

At least John Mayer and Brian May are globally recognized performers...

So, let's take this one step further.....

Chapman Guitars? Rob Chapman? yeah, I hear you saying... "who the fuh is Rob Chapman??" Well, he's a guitarist, and a Brand ambassador (for his own brand) and marketing through social media....
Does he have any musical taste? Has anyone identified his musical success (record deals, platinum sales etc?) ??
Or are Chapman guitars just another 'copycat' style brand that enjoy publicity through social media shill??

I mean, we took the discssion so far off topic that we might as well go the whole 9 yards....

The only thing that really sucks, is a partial vacuum, in the presence of an atmosphere.
or a hooker with the hundred bucks you just gave her ;)
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:37 am

I don't know if this already came up - just read pages 1-3 and skipped to 12 then...
But as it was the first catchy tune of John Mayer back when I was 16 or so I found it appropriate when I saw it as a meme...

"Your body is another brand"

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:03 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:37 am
I don't know if this already came up - just read pages 1-3 and skipped to 12 then...
But as it was the first catchy tune of John Mayer back when I was 16 or so I found it appropriate when I saw it as a meme...

"Your body is another brand"
GOLD :D :D :D
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.